Hazardous tank containers

Ok, so the inks still wet on my adr card, but I’m looking to make a move into adr work. Someone recommended tank containers. I know nothing about that line of work, so: what’s involved, type of work and what sort of money could I be looking at?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Sorry don’t know much about tank containers. One job many years ago carrying liquid nitrogen. Why not just go for fuel tankers. Get with the right company and you shouldn’t go far wrong. Most tanker work is better paid than most as I am sure you are aware.

jakethesnake:
Sorry don’t know much about tank containers. One job many years ago carrying liquid nitrogen. Why not just go for fuel tankers. Get with the right company and you shouldn’t go far wrong. Most tanker work is better paid than most as I am sure you are aware.

It’s the old chicken and egg problem jake, I need a petroleum delivery passport to be able to deliver fuel. This passport comes in two part, theory and practical. The practical needs to be done whilst driving a tanker! It’s something I’ve looked at and I’m keeping my eye out locally, but really, I need the adr experience before I can move on.

There are a few gas delivery companys near by. One in particular I’ve never ever seen advertise for drivers if you know what I mean. It’s simply a case of keep all options open and find out everything I can. Fail to plan and your planning to fail.

Ah yeah, forgot about that. Wasn’t around in my day. In fact when I started on tankers you did not even require an ADR!
Anyway yes keep your options open and good luck.

Tanker containers are horrible things, no baffles in the ones i’ve used and they’d quickly chuck you over if you’re not careful. Gas companies like your BOC and air products, well paid jobs with a bit more health and safety involved, no problem if you have your head screwed on and you’ll get a good amount of training anyway as they all want the job done their way. Petrol tankers are a good shout as well, heard good things on the whole and some companies will put you through the pdp card as they know that you can’t get your pdp really without having a job so they seem to be more accepting of that when advertising jobs, just phone the company direct and tell them your situation, worst that can happen is they say no.

MegaHips:
Tanker containers are horrible things, no baffles in the ones i’ve used and they’d quickly chuck you over if you’re not careful. Gas companies like your BOC and air products, well paid jobs with a bit more health and safety involved, no problem if you have your head screwed on and you’ll get a good amount of training anyway as they all want the job done their way. Petrol tankers are a good shout as well, heard good things on the whole and some companies will put you through the pdp card as they know that you can’t get your pdp really without having a job so they seem to be more accepting of that when advertising jobs, just phone the company direct and tell them your situation, worst that can happen is they say no.

Just chill and have a wee smoke and think out your options. If it can be hooked to a unit pull it to where it needs to go.

Fixed tanks are a lot easier to get used to than containers, as you don’t have to worry about carrying handrails, a million fittings, or having to get tanks washed out after almost every load.
There are plenty of companies out there who could give you a start, just apply to them all and see if you get any response.
It’s possible some companies might be more willing to take you on once you’ve already got some ADR experience, so don’t rule out doing package work to get a start before moving on to tanks

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thanks lads, good info and food for thought. I’ll keep you all updated, whether you care or not. :smiley:

Nite Owl:
… I need a petroleum delivery passport to be able to deliver fuel.

Hi Nite Owl,

It’s not quite correct to say that you need a PDP to deliver fuel because you only need a PDP if you go into a refinery to load certain products.

Nite Owl:
This passport comes in two part, theory and practical. The practical needs to be done whilst driving a tanker!

That’s true, but there are plenty of guys delivering fuel who don’t need a PDP.