Hazard Warning Lights

Just been reading another thread about a lorry parked at the side of the road making a delivery and using its hazard warning lights.
Now all being professional drivers (ahem) we all know what hazard warning lights should be used for and they are not for illegal parking or making deliveries.
Personally I have never used them when I have been making a delivery mainly because they can cause more harm than good.
Others must have come across the scenario as well…lorry parked with hazard warning lights on…car pulls up and parks behind the lorry and then consequently
all drivers approaching from behind only see a flashing right hand indicator from the lorry and sure as hell someone will slow or stop thinking the lorry wants to move off and hold everyone up.
As I have said before drivers seem fascinated by lights in this country whether it be HWL’s fog lamps or flashing lights…some just have to use them whether they cause a distraction or not!

A certain place I deliver too (off road / private ground) insist that for loading/unloading you are to have your roof beacons, hazards and headlights on. When the FLT is near the truck you must be away at least 3 meters at all times or behind yellow barriers…

Yes I have often thought about this type of scenario.
I just look at the situation at the time.
If the N/S rear is covered by a vehicle or its just in a position that the whole of the rear can’t be seen then I leave them off for the fact that I don’t want it to look like a right indicator but I do also tuck my mirror in as well, not because I don’t want it hit but just to do my best to let people what’s going on.
Having said that no matter what you do, there will be at least 1 person who will be confused so you can’t win really.

Agree with op. Hazard lights are much over used.

at one firm I worked for each truck was supplied with a cone to put out just beyond rear offside while offloading at the roadside.other traffic seemed to get the idea and go round it ok.

The ones that pee me off are the clowns that stick hazards on in a lay by. Sprinter van stuffed up its arse to the near side, leaving me to look like a ■■■■ forcing my way in to lane 2 for no apparent reason :imp:

Or the DHL sites that insist you use hazards at all times when moving around, interesting when someone starts to swing round to get lined up for a reverse and the tug behind doesn’t realise.

MADBAZ:
Or the DHL sites that insist you use hazards at all times when moving around, interesting when someone starts to swing round to get lined up for a reverse and the tug behind doesn’t realise.

health and safety …or just bollox??

Bollox disguised as Health & Safety :wink:

Seriously if someone can’t see or hear a 4.2m x 2.5m x 13m bright orange thing not using 4 ways, then they should be at home claiming welfare and not working anywhere near machinery.