Hazard placards for sea crossing

Morning all

Just a query really.
If I’m sailing and have DA UN1001 on board should I be showing both my compressed gas placard and also my flammable gas or just the flammable gas, I’ve been told conflicting information and looking for a definitive answer really.
Any help greatly appreciated

The gas man:
Morning all

Just a query really.
If I’m sailing and have DA UN1001 on board should I be showing both my compressed gas placard and also my flammable gas or just the flammable gas, I’ve been told conflicting information and looking for a definitive answer really.
Any help greatly appreciated

Hi The gas man,

For the carriage of any amount of UN 1001 by sea, you will need 3 X UN Class 2.1 placards to be placed on two sides and the rear of a vehicle, or 4 X Class 2.1 placards to be displayed, one on each side + front and rear of an unaccompanied trailer.

Things change slightly if you’re carrying more than 4,000Kg, or if it’s in any kind of tank.

UN Class 2.1 placard (250mm X 250mm)

2.1.jpg

Thanks Dave
That’s spot on that.

I was under the impression that it was only 2.1 placard but there was confusion when loaders also started to place compressed gas placards on as well.
As for the weight it’s well over 4000kg as it could be up to 20 plts of DA cylinders

Thanks again Dave

Now that we know it’s cylinders… and there’s more than 4,000 kgs…

You now have a choice of how to comply with the requirement to show the UN number

There are two choices:

The orange half-height panels follow the same rules as placards, so you’ll need either three, or four.

Thanks Dave

My option has always been option 1, but when some one plants that seed of uncertainty the mind goes into overdrive

The person who told you that you need this placard for UN 1001 is simply incorrect.

2.2 B.jpg

This placard is for UN Class 2.2, which is a gas that is neither toxic, nor flammable.

He’s a mere loader Dave, a frustrated wanna be trucker :smiley:

The gas man:
He’s a mere loader Dave, a frustrated wanna be trucker :smiley:

I can sort of see where he’s coming from, but he’s incorrect about the green placard in this instance.