hazard perception

Good morning folks,

as some may know i failed my first hpt test last week, primarily due to two clips being marked as 0 for clicking ‘unfairly’ I’m just wondering are the actual tests a bit more sensitive to the number of clips per test?

Sounds a little odd but i didn’t change how i clicked for each clip just seemed a little odd as such!

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

As I have said before, any decent PC games player will have more chance of passing than the man off the street. :slight_smile:

This may sound the wrong way round, but sometimes clicking too early will count as a 0 because the hazard has not come into play if you spot it straight away, so I would suggest holding off a second if you think you caught it immediately.

Click when you see the hazard then click again 2 seconds later. I was told that from the instructor when taking it for the bike test.
Reasoning is that an experience driver will spot the hazard slightly earlier than someone with no road experience, so the HP program may not register your “click” as it thinks you clicked too soon.

This is the biggest problem with the HPT versus the multiple choice. With multiple choice there is a defined right and wrong answer. With the HPT you are trying to second guess someone elses opinion of what is a hazard.
As Ady has said, experienced drivers might spot a developing situation before the ‘window’ appears in the test to click. You can click multiple times as long as its not repeatedly. Scoring a 3 for clicking late is better than a 0 for clicking too early.

jonnytruckfest:
Good morning folks,

as some may know i failed my first hpt test last week, primarily due to two clips being marked as 0 for clicking ‘unfairly’ I’m just wondering are the actual tests a bit more sensitive to the number of clips per test?

Sounds a little odd but i didn’t change how i clicked for each clip just seemed a little odd as such!

Cheers

Jonny,

The first thing I’d suggest is that anybody taking the HPT needs to understand the definition of ‘a hazard,’ so a current instructor would be their first port of call.
Unless it’s been changed… a hazard is anything that could cause you to change speed or direction.

I taught HPT when it first came out, so I’m not sure whether the definition has been changed/altered, but it used to include quite a surprising number of things, including some that most folks hadn’t previously considered as hazards.

Cheers folks, i knew about the 2 second rule for clicking as it gave you a good chance to get in the high marks, i think it may have been down to clicking too early and perhaps clicking a bit faster than the 2 seconds? What annoyed me was the two clips i was marked 0 for were fairly obvious as to what the hazard was but couldn’t understand how it was that i clicked too many times or ‘unfairly’ according to the test.

Just means more practice is needed til next time I think. And at least my next test it wont be right after a nightshift at work so ill be able to concentrate better on the task at hand.

Cheers

Ah but what you think is the obvious hazard might not be according to the computer

When I did mine I click counted to 5 in my head then again done this several times & worked for me as I passed 1st time & an experience driver

I found with mine that if I clicked when I spotted the hazard and clicked up to 6 times during the hazard but click steadily not rapid clicks that worked for me. I got 0 on two of my clips as I clicked to many times.

I feel you should be given a practise clip at the start of the test so that you get a feel for what’s required.

Justin

jusholmes:
I found with mine that if I clicked when I spotted the hazard and clicked up to 6 times during the hazard but click steadily not rapid clicks that worked for me. I got 0 on two of my clips as I clicked to many times.

I feel you should be given a practise clip at the start of the test so that you get a feel for what’s required.

Justin

I think it should be scraped altogether as you can get the same clips from bike upto hgv & replace it with a simulator have to pass this before going out on road for all licences & yep the technology must be about with all the different games etc

i can understand doing it for someone who has never driven a vehicle on the road but i passed my car driving licence in 1990 hopefully i know what a hazard is and dont need to do the test. as it happens i passed 2nd time using the method clicking when i saw the hazard waiting 2 seconds then clicking again.

capelston:
i can understand doing it for someone who has never driven a vehicle on the road but i passed my car driving licence in 1990 hopefully i know what a hazard is and dont need to do the test. as it happens i passed 2nd time using the method clicking when i saw the hazard waiting 2 seconds then clicking again.

Passed my bike test in 1980 car 1982

animal:

jusholmes:

Justin

I think it should be scraped altogether as you can get the same clips from bike upto hgv & replace it with a simulator have to pass this before going out on road for all licences & yep the technology must be about with all the different games etc

Love the idea of a simulator you need to be taking that idea onto Dragons Den

Jonny
Don’t mess about with this. Get it passed pretty quick then come down and get easy bit passed.

I can’t hang around waiting. I’m booking you a course early April. It’s free so please be there.

I will be there John. Ill pm you regarding the dates in April also.

Cheers