Hazard Perception

This post has nothing to do with trucks, but I feel is relevant to this forum.

I have recently taken a Theory Test for another licence category (A) and I got 35 questions correct.

Then I came to the hazard perception test.

The information given said that in 13 of the 14 clips I would see one potential hazard, and in the other clip there would be two.

In every clip there were (in my opinion) at least two potential hazards! Some contained more.

What do you define as a ‘potential hazard’?

For example, two pedestrians walk to the edge of the road. I would say they were a potential hazard - they may step into the road. A second later, a bus pulls out in front of you from a side turning.

I don’t think this was the clip that the DSA intended there to be two hazards in because I counted more hazards in other clips.

I don’t think I should have seen the pedestrians as a potential hazard, because obviously in this case it was the bus - it did pull out. But I didn’t know the bus was going to appear. So anything I saw that I felt may interfere with my progress was given a click. I saw it as a potential hazard.

Maybe I’m just a paranoid driver? :laughing:

Another point is that when does something become a potential hazard? For example - I see a white van racing up a road on my left. I clicked because I see it as a potential hazard immediately - we are on a collision course if we both maintain speed and course. The van pulls out in, causing the driver brake. But if you apply the logic from the previous clip, it’s only a hazard when it pulls out in front of you (i.e., the pedestrians didn’t actually step out). So I found myself clicking again, just in case I’d clicked too early in the DSA’s eyes. But had I now lost points?

I passed both elements of the test, but it got me thinking as to how vague the Hazard Perception bit is.

It is a stupid waste of time in my opinion.

I thought about all the people that fail this test, and I really do feel for them - how can you score a goal if you can’t see the goal posts?! :unamused:

If anyone using this forum has failed one of these - don’t be discouraged! This bit of the test doesn’t prove a thing!

Luckily I didn’t have to do the HP but it seems to me from reading posts on here on the subject that the observant driver who spots hazards early or sees extra potential hazards is penalized by this test and that it favours the less aware driver. From a road safety point of view a waste of time :confused: :laughing:

flying_fenman:
For example, two pedestrians walk to the edge of the road. I would say they were a potential hazard - they may step into the road. A second later, a bus pulls out in front of you from a side turning.

i would have clicked on the pedestrians if they looked like they may cross the road, you don’t know if they’re the hazard you’re looking for.

my main problem with the hazard perception test is there is no depth of field, and how you’re supposed to see a hazard developing 300 yds up the road, when the camera feels more focused in front of the car, through their grainy 2 dimensional video

if i didn’t have the CD ROM test to practise with, i probably would have failed the test

From talking to various driving instructors I have found that they consider the pedestrian is not a hazard until they do step into the road or at least move towards it. This thinking applies to most of the hazards - experienced drivers tend to think too far ahead :open_mouth: Don’t look for potential hazards, look for developing hazards ie when it is confirmed that it is going to happen, not when it might.
Stupid in my opinion - I train advanced drivers and that is what we are trying to do; look at what might become a hazard so they are already prepared for it. No wonder driving standards are so bad.

Resisting the urge to get on my high horse :laughing: :laughing:

Is it that there is only one POTENTIAL hazard ? Or one ACTUAL hazard . I thought there were on occasions 4 or 5 potential hazards ,but only one that would cause me to brake or change direction?

Maybe I’m just a paranoid driver?

I would call that being a PROPER driver, but who am i to pass comment, i don’t even drive one now :frowning:

FWIW - pedestrians are more of a hazard than anything else (IMHO) !!

“A problem is only a problem when it becomes a problem!”

Quote from the Driving Examiners Course. :wink: :wink:

You really need to see the DSA CD rom first , as although it is long winded and boring it gives you an idea of what they are looking for. It would be better if they just upped the test cost by a fiver and gave you the disc, rather than try and sell a few at a greater price.