Hazard Perception

Hi All; Well I am in the process of hopefully obtaining my class C, I have my theory and hazard perception booked for the 18th of this month, so I went to Halfords and bought this,
http://www.halfords.com/car-seats-travel-equipment/travel-accessories/learning-to-drive/the-complete-lgv-pcv-2014-15-theory-and-hazard-perception-tests-pc
I seem to be doing pretty ok with the theory, however I have never got a pass on the mock CG hazard perception as of yet, I do have an app on my phone and I seem to do quite well with that.
So my question is; has anyone else ever used this software and is it similar to the original test, I would appreciate any feedback on this.

That’s what I used to pass my theory and HP really helped me. With the HP what helped me is when I saw a hazard click count to 4 the click again I hope this helps

Not sure about that one but when i did mine my training provider lent me the disc did a couple of the HPT passed them then left them alone

I found them nowt like the real 1’s tbh but as you seem to be an experienced driver you might see thing different to a computer if you can treat it like a computer game then fine

Or if when you go for the real test just click count to 5 click again then repeat ok you may not score on all but you will on some

Remember what you think is a hazard the computer looks at a different thing altogether

Its the biggest load of ■■■■ iv ever had to sit through! Might be a good idea for new drivers but its so counterintuitive its not funny. You have to guess what might turn into a hazard and you have to do it before it actually develops as opposed to the real world where you asses the situation in real time and plan your reaction but you often dont actually do anything unless it does develop.
a good example i had was a pushbike heading for a t junction that youre approaching on the main road. In reality youd clock him and keep an eye on him but you wouldnt actually do anything until it became clear he wasnt looking or wasnt going to stop.
if you do that on the test you will fail it for being too late! Its bloody ridiculous. If you do what the guide tells you to do then youl fail it

I used the DT4A Hazard perception app and found it very helpful. It was pretty ■■■■ close to the actual test and you could review the video to see where you were clicking which gave a better understanding of what they are looking for in the actual test. I think the trick is not to over click. If you see an old granny on the pavement give a click. A bunch of school kids, click. Zebra crossing with a wifie pushing a pram, click. If any of the above look like developing, give an extra couple of clicks. The idea is to show you have clocked the potential numpty who might jump out in front of you. If he doesn’t, no worries, you had observed them. If he does, no worries, you were prepared.

Correct me if im wrong but isn’t it POTENTIAL hazards??

What I said.

Was for Jims benefit Rich. My pooter hadn’t reg’d your response lol.

Ticketyboo mate :smiley:

You cant scare me.

hi, thanks very much for all your input, I really appreciate your help, I will just do as you say and see how it goes.

Slightly off topic, on your actual hpt test don’t click in any kind of uniform pattern. I lost 15 marks because of this. I was relived to pass this test because as others have pointed out its not as you would react in real life.
All the best with it
Dan

i am struggling with the hazard perception test, as a motorcyclist of30 years and a 7.5t driver of 20 i am seeing and reacting to the hazards too early in the tests and therefore scoring badly. have tried multiple clicks to try to click in the scoring part but then get flagged up for irregular pattern. In my humble opinion its a complete waste of time as you will be doing a hazard awareness test on your practical test, more money i guess for the govt and training centres

simonw1968:
i am struggling with the hazard perception test, as a motorcyclist of30 years and a 7.5t driver of 20 i am seeing and reacting to the hazards too early in the tests and therefore scoring badly. have tried multiple clicks to try to click in the scoring part but then get flagged up for irregular pattern. In my humble opinion its a complete waste of time as you will be doing a hazard awareness test on your practical test, more money i guess for the govt and training centres

I agree Simon, it’s a pain in the hoop and another way to prise your hard earned out of your pocket. Unfortunately we have to do it though. It’s not how we would react in the real world where we are constantly observing and evaluating several different situations without conciously registering it. In the test you have to register the fact you have seen something that ‘might’ develop into a hazard by clicking. For example, up ahead you see a car quickly approach a junction with his indicator on; now you would give a click as you don’t know if he has seen you and he ‘could’ pull out in front of you; a ‘potential’ hazard. A few seconds later he has stopped at the junction, give another click just in case. A couple of seconds after that, surprise, he starts to pull out in front of you, click. Hopefully your first click will have been just after when the programme starts timing. If not the second one will. The point is not to keep clicking until something happens but to click a couple of times when you see something that has the ‘potential’ to develop into a hazard. There will be several ‘potential’ hazards in every video but only one will ‘develop’.
As I said the DT4A hazard perception app is good, especially as you can review the video to see where your clicks were. It’s definitely worth practising plenty so that you get the particular hoop they want you to jump through.