Hazard Perception video clips, poor quality

Hi all,

I’ve recently purchased ‘‘The Complete LGV & PCV theory and hazard perception’’ cd for the computer. Now I’m very good at the theory, passed it twice with flying colours out of 2 attempts but the problem I’m having is with the Hazard Perception. It’s the 2012 edition but the video clips are not very clear at all, to the point where it’s impossible to see the hazard until you get closer to it, but then I’m losing marks. The cd has the option to review each practice clip, even then when being able to pause the video clip at the maximum point scoring part (marks out on the video timeline where the max points are) the video quality is so poor it’s just impossible to make out.

Anybody else had this problem? I must point out its the video quality and not my computer!

Are there any better CDs/DVDs available with more up to date video clips?

you just have to live with it. imho the one you have is the best of a bad bunch. its not so poor that you cant get 100% on most clips, but there is one or two where you will struggle.

its easier in the real test.

FWIW I found the video quality on the test even worse than the DVD on the laptop. Ancient CRT monitors, and what seemed like the kind of film they were using before talkies. This at a time when you can buy an HD video camera for twopence? I hated the HPT and it took me four attempts to pass! It’s subjective, no matter what they try to tell you. The introductory video on the test, for example, will show you following a cyclist, coming up to a parked vehicle on your side of the road. For my money, that’s a potential hazard from the outset, since the cyclist either has to pull out to pass the vehicle or ride through it. But according to the voiceover, it only becomes a PT when the cyclist glances back behind him, suggesting he is going to pull out. Presumably if he’d not done that but just pulled out he would not have been a PT? Sorry if this is defeatist, but that wretched test got inside my head and I simply felt relief when I eventually passed, without an ounce of satisfaction.

If you fail the hazzard perception do you have to re-sit the theory?

Tarrman:
If you fail the hazzard perception do you have to re-sit the theory?

NO

The theory multiple choice test module 1a is seperate from the HPT module 1b - fail one and only that one needs retaking

no just re-take the hazard perception