Hazard perception test

Hi i`ve got an HGV hazard perception test booked in 3 weeks, is it any different to the car driving licence one?

I dont want to sound arrogant but ive been driving a car for 18 years and dont fancy forking out another £30 for a cd rom unnecessarily, if its something that should come naturally for experienced drivers.

I`ve seen the car one a friend had the cd rom many years ago, now thrown away unfortunatly.

Anyone with any thoughts on this much appreciated. :question:

It’s exactly the same as the car test.Get some practice because you will find that as an experienced driver the test is more difficult.You will percieve the dangers sooner than a novice and click too soon,outside of the points window.

Deathstar:
It’s exactly the same as the car test.Get some practice because you will find that as an experienced driver the test is more difficult.You will percieve the dangers sooner than a novice and click too soon,outside of the points window.

+1

There are some practice ones on internet if you google i had cd rom and found same thing as deathstar if you just hold back for a second before clicking normaly can get into a pass

I would recomend the cd (mabe libary has a copy :bulb: ) as i had been driving quite a few years and to be honest the cd helps as you have the disadvantage of seeing more hazards than you need on test basicaly designed for a complete learner to give idea of potential hazzards you have been doing this for years without noticing so are too quick for computer :wink:

hope this helps

Jennie x

I have been driving approx. 30 years & still had to do it like has been said try to get the CD rom & have some practice with it

It is the same as the car test my provider supplied mine as well as they theory test CD rom ( just had to borrow a pc to practise the )

Good luck

Chers for the replys points taken, ill see if i can get a cheap disk, no point failing on something so silly.

I have the Hazard Perception CD which got me through it last week. If youare interested Paypal me a fiver + £1 postage. PM me if you want Paypal details.

Dean

Hi guys. Taking my theory test on 6th Sept 10. I bought the DSA Hazard Perception cd and almost threw the bloody thing out the window. I kept on scoring zero’s and couldn’t understand why. Had a word with my instructor and he has put me right. Like has been said, because I have been driving for a longtime I’m seeing the hazards early and clicking outside the point scoring areas. I now double click when the hazard appears and this appears to have cured the problem for me. But I have to ask what is the point of this part of the test because it does not teach a new driver anything. New drivers should be taught to react to potential hazards not developing hazards.

tigger1

tigger1:
New drivers should be taught to react to potential hazards not developing hazards.
tigger1

Hi Tigger if you read your sentence again they are the same thing , basicaly if you have never driven a car all your thinking about is actualy driving not whats going on around you its designed to make a new driver aware of the dangers around you a proffesional driver drives defensivly expecting people to do the unexpected is what gets you through the day hopefully without an accident people dont ever mean to hit another person with their veh but thats what happens a lack of concentration etc, its just to give the more inexperienced driver a little insight into what to expect on the road hence the hazzard perception test I will agree mabe not needed to upgrade your licence as is something that you have been doing for years possibly without realising but there are drivers out there that think they know it all and every little helps to making people better drivers ■■ anyway that i think is the reason behind the HP test :wink:

jennie x

ps I would not recomend a double click as I think the program when you take the test has a little thing that looks for that and you may end up failing that way just hold back a fraction of a sec and click also you can click other hazzards not just the one that gets marked you wont fail for that if you watch the clips back after your session it shows where you have clicked and if you keep at it you should get the right amount of clicks :smiley: jx

Hello Jennie. Yeah I know what you mean, the wording is confusing. What really gets me is that you see a pedestrian walking along the pavement and they appear to be making for a zebra crossing (e.g.). Most experienced drivers will click at this point. What actually gets you a score of five is when the pedestrian actually steps onto the crossing and you click. I know my gripe will not help me but it is infuriating…

tigger1

tigger1:
What really gets me is that you see a pedestrian walking along the pavement and they appear to be making for a zebra crossing (e.g.). Most experienced drivers will click at this point. What actually gets you a score of five is when the pedestrian actually steps onto the crossing and you click.tigger1

okay hears what i did on my test for your example :

you are watching the clip and the pedestrian is walking along pavement :::: could be a hazard okay click when you see the person (in your mind that person may or may not go onto crossing :question:)

in real life you will be aware that the person may step out so you slow veh ready to stop if she does

person steps onto crossing then click again you get your score :wink:

as i said before you wont be failed for clicking all the hazards you see but there is a program in the test to look out for clicking all over the place to stop people just clicking randomly and passing it that way
keep practicing on your cd and it will come i used to practice once in the morning and once at night and you will work out what works for you happy days :smiley: :smiley:

Jennie

tigger1:
New drivers should be taught to react to potential hazards not developing hazards.

As a person who passed their car test so long ago, I’d advise you that you’d do well to consider asking your instructor what he/she has to say about potential and developing hazards.

Not knowing the difference could prove rather costly if you’ve not learned this before your practical driving test.

The HPT has many detractors, some with good reason, but it’s an ideal opportunity once you’ve got to grips with the idea of the definition of ‘a hazard’ and that some develop, whilst others don’t.

Here’s a PowerPoint slide from a Theory Test course that I wrote when I was an LGV instructor:

:bulb: Thought provoking, and definitely intended to cause a discussion amongst the class!!