Haz to Italia

I may (along with some other blokes on my firm) be doing hazardous (dont know what class, what it is, etc yet) down to Monza (via Frejus so ive been told), 1 or 2 loads a day, anything i should know with regards to the French/Italian laws on Hazardous? cruise control set at 80kmh all the way to Italy… :smiley: marvellous!
Non haz reload from Milan so no problem coming home. The cheap diesel isnt an issue, but will prob nip in Lux on way home for ■■■■, sorry boss, i meant DIESEL :wink:

Get the boss to look into the HUPAC trains from Freiburg to Novara.
hupac.ch/ing/Index_e.htm

they can save you a fortune and a days worth of driving. You get 11 hours on the train and are good to drive out to Monza in a few hours.

yes i agree with bobthedog, the train is a very good way to go
you will need your sleepingbag and some grub/drink, REMEMBER
to carry your passport with you as the swiss do check passes
now and again, There is a pub in the gardens next to the station
and the beer,also the food is okay,depending when you wish to travel and
also how heavy the truck is ,the prices will change,you normally take
9-11hrs to go Freiburg–navara, Navara is aprox 45–30mins
from milano,

IF you do go via the train,““remember”” that a NIGHT–DRIVEING–BAN

IS on the landau B10 from ““2200-----0600hrs””" ;AND is is enforced,
this hasbeen posted on here before,

ANOTHER good point about the train is that if you have a fax witha certified
booking you can run on SUNDAYS; also on theholiday ban in the summer
get your boss to check this out and get a written conformation on the rules
which are inforce, the train people will help you also they do speak
english there, ALL vehicles traverling on the TRAIN get weighed
this is so the
SWISS KNOW if they require 1OR 2 locs ,also to stop people cheaating
by haveing paid for say a 36tn lorry but being 40tns,

any more questions post them, as some one will will come back and answer

Train!!! Where’s the fun in that. Worse than long haul ferry boats. You just become a prisoner of the Railways .Horrible !!

@ Harry, try looking at it this way, you can get from CALAIS:–FREIBURG
in A SHIFT of 10hrs driveing, were upon, you get the next trainout or the one that is booked for you, this trip from Germany to ITALY TAKES 9–11hrs
and´ SAVES YOU; from haveing to take either the swiss route with
customs,road charges (VERY HIGH); waiting time at the borders,s
F–CH and CH–I , and to pass the GÖTTHARD tunnel, also if parking up
in the SWISS on the swiss motorway rastte it can cost 10€ ++,
or it saves you time and money when going over the ALPS via France
as the tunnel charges are not cheap,
the way through GERMANY and AUSTRIA via the brenner is also one which
is too expensive when you take the costs and time factor plus wear/tear,

The train comes into NOVERA WHICH is 45–30 mins from MILANO
AND 10MINS from the motorway, also you can run SUNDAYS when catching the train in GERMANY WHEN YOU HAVE A fax WHICH SHOWS YOUR RESERVATION on the train,

Thanks for replys, but it will definatly be by road all the way.

Don’t know when you last went down there, Harry, but the peages are horrendously expensive, the tunnel is shocking and then you have all the additional miles to drive. The train is about 400 euros I think. That saves you money in a fairly big way as it’s about what you pay in tolls alone. I think the last time I drove through Switzerland it cost over £100, and that was empty. Brenner cost about 140 euros, and was miles out of the way.

The train isn’t exactly nice, and it isn’t exactly clean, but most of them have a small stove and table/chairs so you can have a couple of beers and get your sleep. They give you a couple of sandwiches and some water, but it’s a good idea to take some of your own stuff.

If you take the daytime train, the views are amazing.

kindle530, if you have 4 lorrys going down with haz,get
your boss to look here,as not only maself but i belive
many others would say send one truck by train and
3 by road to see what costs and time show to be
the best route, THe ROAD ROUTE OVER THE ALPS
is one which you may find is not as good as the rail
by the way do not forget your snowchains for each lorry,
when you come over,

also please note there is only one route you can take via swiss. the route i did week in week out. THE SIMPLON. fantastic route for scenery.

r slicker:
also please note there is only one route you can take via swiss. the route i did week in week out. THE SIMPLON. fantastic route for scenery.

But it get s a bit bumpy once you clear Gondo going to the Autostrada!! :laughing: :wink:

As is said though, views are Awesome!

kindle530 Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:03 pm Post subject:

( Thanks for replys, but it will definatly be by road all the way. )

As I said where’s the fun on German frieght trains…I think Kindle is like me,an employee so its the highway or no-way… :laughing:
The profit logistics are the accountants problem.

But it get s a bit bumpy once you clear Gondo going to the Autostrada!!

As is said though, views are Awesome!

yep. i got stuck the day the bloody huge boulder came crashing down. local man with his jcb cleared a new “road” around it for us to escape. the ss33 is ok apart from when you come down the hill to the peage and the police are waiting to nick you for doing over 60 klicks on a straight bit of road.

Simplon is the best way to go, avoid the trains the only problem you may have with the trucks your firm use is hight, last time i was with you you had a 3 axle merc with slider bit of a prob with Swiss and with train, make sure you go max 4m or less, you know that from when you ran through swiss for KG, tho if you use train if you over 4m you aint getting on. Carl can you txt me your cell no as my phone die before xmas and your no was in mem on phone not sim, why you aint hear anything from me ta
sdj

I did a few haz’ loads down to Venetzia area a few years ago.

I don’t remember anything special about laws regarding transporting it by road other than it had to go Frejus. It couldn’t go via the Blanc. And the 80 k’s all the way through France.

I had to book the load in at a control, well before the climb up to the tunnel too. I can picture the place and could drive straight there, but I’m blowed if I can think of enough to tell you how to recognise it. I have a feeling it’s fairly clearly sign posted though. I also had to park at the tunnel, not go straight to the toll booth. This was to wait for the ■■■■■■, which was an additional cost, on top of the toll for the tunnel, which isn’t cheap anyway

The haz’ load control was after the control where everybody picks up their ticket, well before the tunnel, you know the routine? Where you pulled into a big parking area and got a ticket to give to the toll booth attendant. If there was a big rush of trucks, they sometimes held you there, to spread the trucks out a bit. I don’t think haz’ loads had to go in there, because they had their own control a bit further on. The big signs that directed everyone into that control had ‘except haz’ as well as a few more exceptions on them. So I’m certain that the control for haz’ loads was well sign posted too. I’m sorry this is rather vague.
As you can tell, it’s been a while since I went that way. Wisharts either sent me by the Blanc, or by the Brenner, so the last time must have been in the few weeks that I was with Brian Yeardleys. That makes it over 4 years ago.
I’ve never been that good at remembering directions either. Once I’ve been to a place once or twice, I can usually go back there, from landmarks that I recognise. If I’ve been there recently, I can usually give good enough directions, but not after 4 years.

I would recommend the train from Freiburg to Novara. Suggest it to your boss in the strongest possible terms.

I left off doing this post, in the hope that someone would be able to give you more up to date info. It seems not, not so far anyway. :unamused: :smiling_imp:

Cheers for the replies, still waiting for the start date if it ever happens, will let you know. I now have a M.A.N that runs at 4 metres so there isnt a height issue anymore.

4M max

Years ago Van Maanen used to use the train to the Brenner now and again.

One particular driver (not me) had a sodding great cb aerial on his Eurocab Merc,and during the journey on the train they were getting reports of smoke and lots of flashing,even members of the public were phoning the police to report it.
They stopped the train to investigate,and found the cb aerial had been touching the overhead power cables.
The roof of the Merc,inside and outside,was all burnt and had to be resprayed and a new headlining fitted!

KW:
The roof of the Merc,inside and outside,was all burnt and had to be resprayed and a new headlining fitted!

I’ve used the Freiburg to Novara overnight train a couple of times, I can’t really recommend it from a drivers standpoint, but it’s got to be worth it from the financial side. I’m told that the views are amazing, during the day, when you can actually see them.

Anyway, in the terminals there are a handful of pics of the remains of wagons where this has happened :open_mouth: :open_mouth: . They make you remove your aerials now. If you start making a fuss about doing it, they just point you at the pics.

I agree it’s not the most pleasant train in the world, and you spend lots of time in sidings as passenger trains get priority. But even from the drivers point of view it saves a whole lot of miles and driving time and makes a simple week turnaround without any worry.

Just avoiding the peages would make it worthwhile.

I think haz can use the Blanc but don’t quote me. I know I brought some 4.1 back through once, but I really can’t remember if it was one of the Italy smugglers specials or not.

Here are the site.s for the blanc and frejus tunnel

FREJUS

ANDMOUNT-BLANC

they show all the info you require,