Hays Transport (Dagenham)

Does anybody out there remember Hays Transport based in Dagenham. My late father John Wright (Billy) worked for them in the 70’s. I have managed to obtain a couple of photos on ebay of the Volvo F88s they used to have. I would so love to hear from anyone who remembers the firm, has any photos of their vehicles or even better, remembers my dad.

Kevin Wright.

Hiya ,
Theres already a thread on this firm on here with some pics of F88s etc. Type in ‘search topic’- Hayes transport , Dagenham .
Hope this helps :wink:

Kevin Wright:
Does anybody out there remember Hays Transport based in Dagenham. My late father John Wright (Billy) worked for them in the 70’s. I have managed to obtain a couple of photos on ebay of the Volvo F88s they used to have. I would so love to hear from anyone who remembers the firm, has any photos of their vehicles or even better, remembers my dad.

Kevin Wright.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=45380&p=523690&hilit=+Hays#p523690

Have a click on that Link.

I used to go in there in later years with this bulk skelly;

It was a craphole then, it still was a craphole 2 years ago while it was known as Kuehne and Nagel

Can anyone out there give me any ideas as to where to look for information on Hays Transport who were based in Dagenham in the 70’s, as I’m not having much luck on here. I’ve looked on goggle but can’t find anything, maybe i’m wasting my time who knows? I’ve managed to obtain a few photos which are great. Any help would be much apppreciated. Many thanks.

Kevin Wright

I used to go in there in the 80s as well as felixstowe and a place near circus tavern can`t recall the name when i was on abdee picking up tea in chests we used to run it to paynes poppets place in swindon where they made sainsburys red label tea bags we never bought any tea for years in my house ha ha, I recall they had a lot of old f88 shunters in there as well as a lorry fleet themselves , the name hays crops up in different areas now such as employment agencies and office cleaning I assume they must now be part of a large corporation is the dagenham place still open not been that way now for years, good luck with your search

Still there, but trading as Kühne + Nagel in Dagenham, or they were the last time I visited

thanks wheel nut I live only up the road from it but I never seem to go that way anymore and if I go into london I get the train its much easier no parking no congestion charge, have a nice w/end all

i took these photos of hays G88 shunter ahd tracey, the girl who drove it in the mid 90s when loading out of the cold store

Great photos, thanks for posting them…

Crikey, used to share an office with Tracey when she moved to being a planner in the transort office. Remember her embarissing a few drivers when shunting on to the bays as it had taken them several attempts and then ‘a woman’ does it, cracking.

Hays site is indeed Kuehne+Nagel now and is rapidly going downhill, a huge white elephant in the portfolio of sites for K+N :laughing:

Last I heard they are looking to sell of the whole of the site to whoever will buy at and relocate, possibly to somewhere in Tilbury docks. This fits in better with the K+N shipping part of the business and means no staff will have to sit on the A13 for hours trying to get in through the traffic at least :smiley:

Pictures in the attached are from the old LePain bread contract in the coldstore, used to house a butter a contract in there before, no bread and butter puns please!

Last I was there bits of the yard were being sub let out and the KNDL (Kuehne+Nagel Drinks Logistics) shed run for Scottish Newcastle was empty. Only true bit still run for K+N (Hays [or ACR at one point]) is the main high bay warehouse and the tin shed with the Fords business going through.

I remember going in there during the eighties and seeing the old shunters everywhere. Lots of work for them then shunting the containers from the rail sidings to the bays and the rest of the site. It was a nightmare tip back then and not much has changed in all the years I’ve known it.

Great pics though brings back memories reading all the grumbles and woes on here about the place.