Hays transport, dagenham & sixway freight, dartford

My late father John Wright (Known as Billy) who passed away last June aged 70, worked for Channel Road Services in Tooley Street London SE1. He gave me these old photographs of him and two workmates in ERF’s all D reg taken in 1966. Behind the lorries are mountains that I think are in Italy. He subsequently worked at Hays Transport in Dagenham where he worked for years. When the firm folded in the mid 70’s Instead of redundancy money my father and 5 other employees each took a lorry and set up on their own. They became known as Sixway Freight Services and were based in Dartford. In addition to the F88’s they had taken from Hays they had an M reg Ford Transcontinental, which I think also started out life in Hays colors.They had a T reg Scania 111 which they bought from new and a few years later bought three new X reg DAF 2800 Turbos . Sixway’s lasted up until about 1982/83 until unfortunately they went into receivership. I remember my dad saying to me that they should never have bought the new DAFs and company cars as basically they could not afford them, bad decision making I guess. I have loads of photographs of the Sixway trucks as I always had my camera with me when I was out trucking with my dad. A few names I remember from Hays and Sixways were Billy Maldon, Jimmy Burrows, Johnny Walker, Bob Finch, Dicky Tabram, Alfie Weston, Jeff Harvey and Kevin Bolton who was the Fitter/Mechanic. Such great memories for me as a child. I have followed in my dads footsteps and drive lorries for ALD Logistics based in South London. If anyone has any information, memories or even better, pictures on what you have just read I would love to hear from you.
Kevin Wright.

The two pictures above are dated Aug 78 when the Scania was brand new.
These were taken at Sixway’s yard in Dartford. These Volvo’s were once in Hays transport colours.

This Transcontinental originally belonged to Hays Transport. Thats me with the terrible haircut. Cira 1978/79

These two pics…Zeebrugge, Belguim Aug 2nd 1982
Aachen, Belguim/ West German border Aug 2nd 1982
Duren, West Germany, Aug 2nd 1982 ,
The second photo was taken at the yard in Dartford just before we left to go to Dover to catch the ferry Aug 1st 1982

Taken at Sheerness docks. Second photo taken at Dover Aug 1st 1982
Pumping in Bacardi at Millwall docks Aug 28th 1982
Photo 2, Pumping out at Three Mills London E3 Aug 28th 1982

Birmingham Feb 1982

Shrewsbury Feb 1982 and Membury Services M4 July 1982

This load had to go to Barrow in Furness, ■■■■■■■■

Both photo’s taken at the yard in Dartford

Sixway owned three DAF 2800 Turbos

First photo here taken at the yard in Dartford, second photo taken at Scantrucks in Purfleet.

My father’s last driving job was delivering to Smithfield Meat Market in London for Peter O’Sullivan Meats who were based in Great Moulton, Norfolk. He finished driving lorries in about 1985.

Hi Kevin,Heres one from my scrapbook. :laughing: Really like to see your pics mate

Cheers Bubbs

Hi there, I can’t tell you how much it means to me to see that picture. That was my Dad’s actual lorry when he was on Sixways infact that could even be his arm in view. I travelled a fair few miles in that with him. Even went to Italy in it in the summer of 1982. Any idea where the pic was taken? I will get my pics online as soon as i work out how to do it. I have pics of this Scania in the later livery,after they changed it in about 1980. Many thanks again you have made my year…
Kevin.

bubbleman:
Hi Kevin,Heres one from my scrapbook. :laughing: Really like to see your pics mate

Cheers Bubbs

Hi Bubbs, here are a few to begin with.
Kevin.

Kevin.

Kevin.

That Transcon on a M plate must be one of the origional prototypes, Differant grill, There were 12, some in Britain and some in West Germany, dont know how many ended up over here, but they were sent to fleets for evaluation, Silver Roadways had SMU571M,. I think Hilton Transport Services ( HTS ) were also given one.
Jerry

hi,i remember those day cab f88s,they used to run down to cornwall with small tanks to load china clay.the first job i had after passing the hgv test was for a firm in liskeard called sunnybanks transport they had an ex hays f88 as well.
cheers steve.

Great pics. I remember Hays Transport. My dad was driving for Crokerton Haulage just up the road on the Maybells Estate.
Hedges & Butler at Three Mills, Bow - spent many a day there during my school holidays back in the 70’s & early 80’s.
Re. Kevin Bolton - did he go self employed as a mobile mechanic? I am sure he is the same bloke who used to service my dads’ motors down at Choats Road.

Hello Kevin,wonderful pictures mate,I can only add these 2,a cutting of an ERF and a pic of UMC610M in Hayes livery :laughing:

Hope they are of interest

Cheers Bubbs :wink:

The Transcontinental looks like it was one of the prototypes. Being M registration surely to early for general release?

Nice pictures remember the transcon that was a prototype same as silver roadways HTS and BRS used to run with little steve on there livved in dartford
had a daf on OCL met Jeff last year hes living in spain now used to like those low china clay tanks for cornwall Hays had a few of them great post
churchyboy that is the same Kevin

churchyboy:
Great pics. I remember Hays Transport. My dad was driving for Crokerton Haulage just up the road on the Maybells Estate.
Hedges & Butler at Three Mills, Bow - spent many a day there during my school holidays back in the 70’s & early 80’s.
Re. Kevin Bolton - did he go self employed as a mobile mechanic? I am sure he is the same bloke who used to service my dads’ motors down at Choats Road.

Hi there,
I was only young at the time but one thing I remember for sure is Kevin Bolton had ginger hair. Also he always seemed to be at Sixways yard fixing the older vehicles as they were forever breaking down. It must be him.
Kevin Wright

There are a few pictures, hundreds even here of the trucks in this thread and many others.

See if you can find the very early 1971 L Registration Ford Transcontinental :wink:

fordtranscontinental.nl/

There is a lot of history and unseen photos of the Dutch Ford plant.

bubbleman:
Hello Kevin,wonderful pictures mate,I can only add these 2,a cutting of an ERF and a pic of UMC610M in Hayes livery :laughing:

Hope they are of interest

Cheers Bubbs :wink:

Hi there Bubbs,
Glad you liked the pics, That is the first time I have ever seen UMC 610M in Hays livery, thankyou so much.
Kevin Wright

i

great pics kevin keep em coming mate :wink:

great photos mate keep em coming :wink:

Hi Kevin, heres the Hays Volvo F88 photo i promised you.

Mark R:
Hi Kevin, heres the Hays Volvo F88 photo i promised you.

Thanks ever so much Mark. This actual Volvo (SGT 418L) is one of F88’s shown in my pics. Fantastic to see it before the paint job.