Having a cataract removed and the DVLA

I had my yearly eye test on Saturday and found out that the cataract in my right eye has got worse and have been refered back to the Royal Hallamshire hospital for it removing. The optician said I’m still fine to drive at the minuite as my left eye is so good however due to me being an HGV driver she wants it doing now rather than wait and it gets to the point I don’t meet the required standard to drive HGV’S.
Now after what happens with the DVLA when I had my detached retina repaired and the 6 month it took me to get my HGV licence back I’m debating wether to inform the DVLA. My optician said that my eyesight should return back to normal 2 week after the op and I know that if I inform the DVLA then I’ll be having to jump through hoops for them to get my licence back when my eyesight would return back to normal after 2 week and it could take me another 4-6 month for them to allow me to drive again :confused:
Obviously if my eyesight is not back to normal after 2 week then I guess I’ll have to inform them of the cataract, trouble is my licence runs out in Feb 2017 where I’ll have to have the eye tests done for the DVLA to see if I’m still ok to hold my HGV. Now if I don’t tell them about the cataract but my eyesight is back to normal after the 2 week and I go back driving what will they say when they see ive had a cataract removed as they will have my medical history in front of them?

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
I had my yearly eye test on Saturday and found out that the cataract in my right eye has got worse and have been refered back to the Royal Hallamshire hospital for it removing. The optician said I’m still fine to drive at the minuite as my left eye is so good however due to me being an HGV driver she wants it doing now rather than wait and it gets to the point I don’t meet the required standard to drive HGV’S.
Now after what happens with the DVLA when I had my detached retina repaired and the 6 month it took me to get my HGV licence back I’m debating wether to inform the DVLA. My optician said that my eyesight should return back to normal 2 week after the op and I know that if I inform the DVLA then I’ll be having to jump through hoops for them to get my licence back when my eyesight would return back to normal after 2 week and it could take me another 4-6 month for them to allow me to drive again :confused:
Obviously if my eyesight is not back to normal after 2 week then I guess I’ll have to inform them of the cataract, trouble is my licence runs out in Feb 2017 where I’ll have to have the eye tests done for the DVLA to see if I’m still ok to hold my HGV. Now if I don’t tell them about the cataract but my eyesight is back to normal after the 2 week and I go back driving what will they say when they see ive had a cataract removed as they will have my medical history in front of them?

Get your cataract done now,go sick for a few weeks,until your eye gets back to normal,I can understand with your retina problem as thats more serious. Leave the DVLA out of it,your Doctor / Optician will tell you when you have had your OP if you will or wont pass an eye test,should be enough time to get sorted,after all your LGV Medical is not due til 2017 that can be done by your Doctor not a DVLA Doctor

lolipop:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Get your cataract done now,go sick for a few weeks,until your eye gets back to normal,I can understand with your retina problem as thats more serious. Leave the DVLA out of it,your Doctor / Optician will tell you when you have had your OP if you will or wont pass an eye test,should be enough time to get sorted,after all your LGV Medical is not due til 2017 that can be done by your Doctor not a DVLA Doctor

My retina is fine now mate it’s just the cataract now.

lolipop:

I would agree with this advice. Once the operation is done and your eye sight appears to be as good as it is going to get, maybe get an eye test to the current HGV medical standard as proof and carry on. At least you know then your eyesight is not below the required standard and can prove it.

The important thing is clearly that you don’t drive during the interim period - obviously. Legally I can’t see you need to report it if you aren’t going to be driving.

I’ve just had a neck op and told not to drive for six weeks.
They told me to inform DVLA and my insurance :confused:
Couldn’t see the point really.
So I haven’t.
Leave them out of it if you’ll recover in time.

I had a cateract op on both eyes last year, first one in March, second one in December. Was back at work after two days for both of them as the surgeon tested each eye 24 hours after the op and said I now made the grade, albeit with new specs. As long as you meet the eyesight standard for DVLA no need to inform them of the op.
However, at my last eye test I was told that the lining of the eye that holds the new lens had started to thicken and was giving me similar symptons to cataracts again, no problem, the optician recommended me for laser surgery to burn a hole in the offending lining, done three weeks ago, took ONE MINUTE, and felt nothing, going for the other eye on Thursday.
Eyesight back to fantastic again.

bestbooties:
I had a cateract op on both eyes last year, first one in March, second one in December. Was back at work after two days for both of them as the surgeon tested each eye 24 hours after the op and said I now made the grade, albeit with new specs. As long as you meet the eyesight standard for DVLA no need to inform them of the op.
However, at my last eye test I was told that the lining of the eye that holds the new lens had started to thicken and was giving me similar symptons to cataracts again, no problem, the optician recommended me for laser surgery to burn a hole in the offending lining, done three weeks ago, took ONE MINUTE, and felt nothing, going for the other eye on Thursday.
Eyesight back to fantastic again.

Glad to hear mate. Can’t do with another few month struggling with no work and hoping my company will keep me set on :confused:

Know when my man had her cataract done she was fine the next day they she had eye test done 3 mth later still no glasses ( only for reading she is now 77 )

So if I were you knowing DLA medical section I wouldn’t tell them but make sure you have an eye test done asap than about 3 meh later

animal:
So if I were you knowing DLA medical section I wouldn’t tell them but make sure you have an eye test done asap than about 3 meh later

With Steves previous dealings with DVLA Id tend to agree

Steve66:
I’ve just had a neck op and told not to drive for six weeks.
They told me to inform DVLA and my insurance :confused:
Couldn’t see the point really.
So I haven’t.
Leave them out of it if you’ll recover in time.

its only when after the recuperation period has passed and its apparent that things aren’t right, it maybe time to put your hand up and fess up, otherwise you may find yourself in the brown stuff if your involved in an accident later on, and you find out your insurance is invalid for failing to declare.

Likewise I`m guessing Steve will have the above at the back of his mind, especially after the recent Glasgow bin lorry case

Well that’s it, had my left eye lasered this morning.
In and out in 15 minutes, the only discomfort was the eye drops after the treatment which I have to put in 4 times a day for the next 5 days.
Booked in for my usual night shift tomorrow night, no probs!.

bestbooties:
Well that’s it, had my left eye lasered this morning.
In and out in 15 minutes, the only discomfort was the eye drops after the treatment which I have to put in 4 times a day for the next 5 days.
Booked in for my usual night shift tomorrow night, no probs!.

Got my first appointment at the hospital on the 8th Oct and then probably get the date for the cataracts taken out. Seen the gaffer today and he says not to worry and if I can go back to work after a week then they’ll put me on light duties untill in ok to return to driving and I won’t lose the truck I drive. Can’t ask for more than that :slight_smile:

You don’t have to inform the DVLA regarding a cataract operation, although you are supposed to inform them you have a cataract, that’s up to the individual. Depending on how dark the cataract is and you have no other problem in that eye, you should notice a huge difference straight after surgery. Everything will be a lot brighter, colours more colourful, so you might need to wear a pair of sunglasses until you adjust.
Take it very easy for the first few days. Try not to bend down if possible, this is very important straight after surgery. You’ll most probably be fit to drive the next day after you take your bandage off. Wear the eye patch at night when sleeping.
Don’t forget, if your better eye meets the standard, your worse eye only has to read the the big single letter at the top to meet the standard. This will greatly improve after surgery.
Good luck.

Well I went to the hospital for my appointment today and the consultant checked my eyes with the machine and checked my pressure etc. she said the waiting list there is 16 week and I am fine to drive. I then asked if I pass the criteria for HGV as that’s my job and she replied, " Oh that does change things, I don’t think you do with your right eye, even though your left is perfect you may be under the requirements in your right eye, I’ll put you on the fast track list however that is still an 8 week wait. You’ll have to ring the DVLA and see what they say"
So I’ve got back home and rang the DVLA to ask for advice on driving with a cataract and she asked if I was informing them I have one, I said yes and I’m booked in, in 8 week for it doing. She said they would send the forms out to fill in which I have to send back within 21 days. They will then have a look at my records and investigate to see if I can still hold my HGV.
She then said ive to go on my consultant/doctors advice on weather I can drive HGV’S trouble is my consultant told me she didn’t know! :unamused: I don’t know weather to carry on until the DVLA get back to me with their outcome or not.
Her at the DVLA did say she couldn’t give me a timescale on how long the investigation would take, like I know it’ll be months with the Medical Department there :imp:
I can see fine out of both eyes, I use glasses now to drive since I had the last operations. It’s only when I cover my left eye that my sight out of my right eye is like a fog effect. I can see this being like the last time where it took 6 month of jumping through hoops for the ■■■■■ down in Swansea :confused:
The consultant did say that my eyesight more than likely will return to the standard it was before the cataract formed so I will be fine however after the op that’s where the long wait starts as them at Swansea don’t give a ■■■■ that you are losing money even when you are fit to drive.