Haven't drove a Class 1 since passing

Hi. I haven’t driven a class 1 since I passed 3 years ago and it wasn’t the best training either, did about 8 hours and two reverses and ended up passing somehow but I wasn’t taught the basics such as adjusting the fifth wheel height(didn’t show me the remote next to the seat) according to the trailer and raising it up before reversing in to not damage the legs etc.

Also, having only done 3 reverses in total 3 years ago I’m kinda nervous about that too, where I work it’s class 2 vehicles only so never had the chance to mess around with a tractor unit since passing.

Any idea on what I should so? I’m thinking of doing a refresher course and then trying to find a company that does it’s own training that will teach me for a week or 2 then letting me out on my own but no idea if there’s any companies in the Manc. area that do such a thing.

Thanks for any help.

The first job that comes up on indeed if you search “HGV Class 1” within 25 miles of Manchester is below. They take on new passes. Just let potential employers know that you are rusty and need about 5 days training with an experienced driver.
With artics, it’s the reversing that can be difficult for new passes until they’ve had at least 30 shifts. Then it starts to get easier.

HGV Class 1 Driver Part Time
Walkers Transport (Group) - Rochdale OL11
£140 a day - Part-time, Permanent
Role: Class 1 (C+E) Part Time Elite Driver Days

Elite Driver? If so, come and join the Can Do. Company. Founded in 1979, Walkers Transport is today one of the UK’s leading transport solutions providers, moving over 1.2 million pallets each year. Our Can Do. philosophy encompasses the values of making time for our people and engineering a positive working environment where honesty, respect and fun is at the centre of all we do! New passes welcome, you will undergo an in house assessment.

Depot:

Rochdale, Manchester.

Driver Benefits:

Salary: £140.00 per day plus Elite Driver Bonus

Holidays: Minimum 33 days – Maximum 38 days including bank holidays.( pro rata)

BUPA family cash plan

Scottish Widows pension which includes death in service insurance.

Onsite CPC training

Full uniform and PPE

Full induction with our inhouse driver trainers

Role Details:

Monday to Friday any 3 days out of 5 according to the business needs.

Additional days and Saturdays available as Overtime if required

Multi-Drop local deliveries and Collections

C+E License with No more than 6 penalty points

Up to Date CPC and Digital Tacho card

For an immediate start please contact Daniel Rowe on 01706 745020.

Reference ID: da/man/c1pt

Part-time hours: 30 per week

Job Types: Part-time, Permanent

Salary: £140.00 per day

Additional pay:

Performance bonus
Benefits:

Life insurance
On-site parking
Private medical insurance
Referral programme
Schedule:

Day shift
Monday to Friday
Work remotely:

No
Just posted

uk.indeed.com/jobs?q=hgv%20clas … 1b9aac3854

One positive aspect is that you have held the category for a while, which improves the insurance situation.

I just replied to someone else about the possibility of winging it with an agency, but this does involve going out and learning reversing on the job yourself, which may not be for everyone.

In terms of adjusting the suspension to hook up / drop , this is one method that is fairly fool-proof. It is not to say that if a trailer is at an appropriate height, driving under it won’t raise the legs anyway. The thing is how often are you hooking up to a trailer with the same unit and when you dropped the trailer in the first place - not very often.

carlston49:
The first job that comes up on indeed if you search “HGV Class 1” within 25 miles of Manchester is below. They take on new passes. Just let potential employers know that you are rusty and need about 5 days training with an experienced driver.
With artics, it’s the reversing that can be difficult for new passes until they’ve had at least 30 shifts. Then it starts to get easier.

Thanks pal and yeah it’s just the reversing/coupling for me that’s the issue but I wasn’t sure to go the new pass route as typically it’s not the best work/pay and was thinking about applying to more better paid jobs where you need to of held your license for 2 years then just getting shown the basics for 2 weeks through an induction or whatever as I’ve heard some companies do that for their new drivers.

Noremac:
One positive aspect is that you have held the category for a while, which improves the insurance situation.

I just replied to someone else about the possibility of winging it with an agency, but this does involve going out and learning reversing on the job yourself, which may not be for everyone.

In terms of adjusting the suspension to hook up / drop , this is one method that is fairly fool-proof. It is not to say that if a trailer is at an appropriate height, driving under it won’t raise the legs anyway. The thing is how often are you hooking up to a trailer with the same unit and when you dropped the trailer in the first place - not very often.

Yeah I was thinking about getting a refresher and then just blagging it saying I’ve got 3 years experience then just go on nights for a little bit where I can learn to reverse, doesn’t really bother me if it takes me 30 shunts as been driving Class 2 for 8 years now kinda used to stalling people on main roads doing a reverse in bin wagons etc haha.

I was looking at Hermes on agency and a few similar companies as supposedly it’s a pretty easy job as in rdc to rdc wait an hour or so to be tipped etc but it’s just the reversing in bays I guess which might not be the best place to start? Maybe tippers might be easier.

If you can get yourself in a position where you can pass an assessment, that is quite a good position to be in regarding say supermarket work, which is in high demand. It may take a few weeks of accepting wherever will take you to get in that position.

StormST:
Hi. I haven’t driven a class 1 since I passed 3 years ago and it wasn’t the best training either, did about 8 hours and two reverses and ended up passing somehow but I wasn’t taught the basics such as adjusting the fifth wheel height(didn’t show me the remote next to the seat) according to the trailer and raising it up before reversing in to not damage the legs etc.

Also, having only done 3 reverses in total 3 years ago I’m kinda nervous about that too, where I work it’s class 2 vehicles only so never had the chance to mess around with a tractor unit since passing.

Any idea on what I should so? I’m thinking of doing a refresher course and then trying to find a company that does it’s own training that will teach me for a week or 2 then letting me out on my own but no idea if there’s any companies in the Manc. area that do such a thing.

Thanks for any help.

I passed my test 5 years ago… and the first time I touched class one after that was 18 months ago.

My training was OK…but nothing about height adjustment, engine brake etc.

Treated my first interview test drive as a familiarisation… and bloody well got the job.

Company showed me what I needed to know after that

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk