have you ever

Toowise,i also got hunted down by a pack of sheep dogs at an isolated farm,i counted the farmers fingers,to verify if any cross breeding with his cousin`s had occured,one drop near Bridport,where you turn off down a lane that is is the width of the lorry,if any traffic is coming the other way,the ■■■ hits the fan,steep inclines,in the winter,it must be fun.2 miles down the lane.

No never, perfect every time, all the time, but lets not forget that i am a true professional… :laughing: :laughing:

Took a trailer out one time that had rear steer, and i didnt know how to turn the bloody thing off, so after 30 minutes or so, they closed the bay and the shutters, a few phone calls later someone told me to turn on the side lights to lock it…as others have said…sometimes it works, and sometimes it dont…but so long as it goes on eventually…thats fine by me…on days…off days…
What really ■■■■■■ me off are the bays that are white lined, or maybe yellow…have been painted right up to the guards…instead of to the side of them, not so bad if theres nothing parked, but when you`ve got a truck/trailer parked either side is a different matter when your following the lines, only to find some muppet has not thought out the way to paint them.

some nights i can pop the drawbar trailer in the tightest of places yet if i take an artic out and have to do the same reverse i struggle

i dont care what folk think while im reversing :smiley:

Went into Ford’s in Halewood a long time ago.Reverse into the warehouse bay.Cage pallets dropped just where you didn’t need them.Seem to remember the bay doors were a snug fit.Took about 6 careful shunts and did it :smiley: Anyway,hanging about as you do(did) in there,saw some of the regulars come in.Some S.Wales firm I think. Did it in one at what seemed to me warp speed.Only had my licence for a month then.Scarred me for life that did :laughing: :laughing:

toowise:

C-Kay:
Give me a tight blindside into a farm with no room to manouver and i’m fine.

Ask me to back between 2 trailers with an acre of space in front of me and i’m screwed

I’m the same, blindside in the dark with a couple of sheepdogs trying to bite the tyres, between stone gateposts an inch from the nearside of the trailer, reverse to wothin a couple of feet of a feed silo…no problem

2 days later with a curtainsider reversing onto a bay with yellow lines as a guide and nothing nearer than 20 ft away…takes me 3 or 4 shunts.

some days good…some days bad…thats life, just accept it and dont care what others think !

second that . happend to me at SCATS CPD the other day, got huge flt area & yellow lines for the trailer to supposedly be between after a few shunts i gave up, when the forkie pointed out the bad parking i just pointed to the lines 2 bays over & said that where i was actually aiming for :laughing:
give me a farm yard anyday.

you got to laugh
i remember a chap trying to back onto a pump bay at ARLA at oakthorpe & he actually did the hardest bay i one go , but to put him at his easy my mate said to him dont worry drive i can do it in ten :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I have gone from a right hand drive to a left hand drive.it is like learning to drive all over again in every aspect, especially when it comes to reversing !!

I pulled the other Day on a bay and went for lunch.
when i came back after an Hour were everyone waiting for me.
well,what has happened?
Now,our new trailer have a camera at the back,and Trailer stops 1 Meter in front of Bay,or whatever it recogniced as Obstacle.
Thats why the Trailer stood an Hour one meter from bay :grimacing:

its just,you know.as agency Worker you get nothing said,and then big eyes when anything goes not well

jimmy m:
have you ever been…been emmbarrsed when backing onto a loding dock, and making a funt of it, then walking into warehouse and lookin at guys who have just watched you take 34 shunts…(and it’s still ■■■■■■■ I have!!!

I wouldn’t worry about it. The types of guys who mock you for taking a few shunts are usually far worse than you at it, they just like to distract from their own faults. It doesn’t matter if it takes you 50 shunts to get on a tight dock so long as you don’t hit anything. You can sometimes do it in one go, another time could take you countless shunts, the main thing is you get on the bay without damage.
Be proud of yourself and sod the rest.

Did an agency day driving a bin truck last week. Reversing slowly through these poxy little lanes, up driveways and weaving backwards amongst parked cars the chief loader says to me “You can tell you’re a long distance driver, very slow reversing, like you’re backing up to the bay, the old bin drivers would be through here flat out”

I just said normally when I’m reversing it’s into a pub car park or service area with pedestrians milling around behind me and for some reason the boss gets miffed when we run people over.

When I worked for the roadshow company in the UK we had an ■■■■■■■ of a driver who claimed he was an expert at everything. One monday we were sent to a farm in Kent, him and I in identical MAN 6 axles tractrs with triaxle drop deck trailer and a drivers mate each to collect some show equipment for a contract we had obtained. We had to reverse round a large barn then drive down the hill we just drove up and have the equipment loaded in the back. The arrogant ■■■■■■ (Chris orange hat we can call him) stood laughing with his buddy as they watched me reverse around this very tight turn, as it happens I did it in one smoothe go with no faults, when it came to this pillocks turn he took countless shunts and demolished a water storage tank :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
He never poked fun again.

jimmy m:
‘…have you ever been…been embarrassed when backing onto a loading dock … I have…!’

Initially, yes - but am pleased that the unspoken but broadly acknowledged code whereby we treat others as we wish to be treated works for every one of us every time: Long may it continue.

Am pleased that the only intervention I’ve experienced was one of help: A delightfully humbling experience.