Have you ever remained in the cab on the Eurotunnel shuttle?

Just one of those random questions that occasionally come to me.

On some past threads, a few drivers have stated that they would rather stay in their cab down on the car deck when on a cross channel ferry (if they can avoid being spotted by the ship’s crew), rather than go upstairs to the drivers lounge.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever managed to remain in their cab while on the Eurotunnel truck shuttle train? Or do they operate a different system there, counting all the drivers are present in the shuttle passenger coach? Just curious.

Not sure it is possible on the tunnel, waits at each truck to pick you up.

I would be surprised if they could get away with staying in the cab on Le shuttle, as I’m sure they count you on & off the train, and the bus stops at the front of each truck,
I did hear that it would be dangerous to stay in the cab, something to do with the air pressure in the tunnel , could be BS i don’t know

It’s impossible, you get counted at check in, they count you on the bus, they count you on the train before departure.

tommy t:
I would be surprised if they could get away with staying in the cab on Le shuttle, as I’m sure they count you on & off the train, and the bus stops at the front of each truck,
I did hear that it would be dangerous to stay in the cab, something to do with the air pressure in the tunnel , could be BS i don’t know

Yeh think that one is the old B/S mate for some reason people think it’s going a lot faster than it does in reallity and the migrants seen to wear it ok . It’s not that uncommon for one half of a double man team to hide or try to behind the curtains .if they see pulled curtains now they usually double check.

If there’s a fire or another incident do you want to be at the very front of the train sat in the one carriage they won’t disconnect and do everything to get out or sat in your cab in the dozens of carriages which will be quite happily sacrificed at the drop of a hat?

I think it would be difficult as you declare how many passengers when you book on, and the bus driver tells the Chef du Train how many passengers he’s picked up. I think the only way would if you were double manning and then not declare the other driver and have them hide behind on the bunk while in the terminal, but why you’d want to is beyond me.

I would not want to stay in the cab on the train incase something goes ■■■■ up.

Aile since I did the tunnel, but as I remember car drivers etc stay in their vehicles and I assume the air pressure would be the same for them, ditto all other risks.

The passenger shuttle trains are fully enclosed and designed to protect the occupants from fire, as opposed to the open freight wagons.

I hid in the cab once at a Sainsburys RDC, middle curtains are great although the shunter driver kept hovering round a bit.

I do this regular and if caught will one day utter the immortal words, “I had to return to my vehicle to apply my refrigerated medication and NO you are not allowed to ask me what for”.

Im also working on trying to get banned from all Sainsburys and Tesco RDC’s.

Funnily enough I had 9 hours off and slept in the cab on the bay at ASDA avonmouth, but to date no one ever belives me and funnily enough its 100% true.