Have you delivered to a TESCO RDC recently?

If you have can you please answer these questions.

• Which RDC , and is it run by TESCO’s or a sub contractor e.g: Wincantons, Exel etc(if a sub-contractor who?)
  • Were you permitted to wait in your cab whilst tipping?
  • Were you permitted if you wished to use the on-site canteen?
  • If you had to use the drivers waiting room, was it comfortable, what facilities were available?
  • How long were you on-site for?
  • Did you leave the RDC feeling rested?

If anyone has any photos (dont worry about the quality of them) of the “Drivers Rest Rooms”, can they please post them or e-mail them to me…

I tipped at tesco southampton yesterday.I used their canteen with no problems, then went back to my cab and had half hours kip.I was there all in all about an hour and a half.

Tesco snodland is the same,can use the canteen and stay in your cab with no problems.Our drivers that do Didcot have to stay in a little room by the goods in office and are not allowed back to their trucks until tipped and paperwork handed back.There is 1 hard chair there and an expensive coffee machine. Some have sat there for over 2 hours.

i was at tesco rdc middlewich a while back handed in keys and waited in truck
notice says you cannot use canteen there is a drinks machine for tastless coffe tea soup etc and a absoultly revolting toilet was parked on the bay 2hr 50 min they tipped almost straight away then had to wait for them to check it mixed load
staff in office a bit militant all in all a very unpleasent place to be

Which RDC , and is it run by TESCO’s or a sub contractor e.g: Wincantons, Exel etc(if a sub-contractor who?)
Daventry (wincanton)and Middlewich

Were you permitted to wait in your cab whilst tipping?
yes to both keys handed into t/o at daventry but not at middlewich :question:

Were you permitted if you wished to use the on-site canteen?
in daventry yes but it was closed :exclamation: never asked at middlewich

If you had to use the drivers waiting room, was it comfortable, what facilities were available?

How long were you on-site for?
daventry 4 and a half hrs middlewich 2 hrs

Did you leave the RDC feeling rested?
no

Yep, I can vouch for the middlewich goods in toilet smelling absolutely disgusting, it even permiates in to the goods in waiting area. It’s a hold you breath job.

Agreed with others about Middlewich. Absolute ■■■■■■■■■ there. Toilet is disgusting. Foyer is dirty. Sheets of A4 everywhere stating that outside drivers are not allowed to use the canteen under any circumstances.

Section 3 of the Health & Safety at work Act covers “Others”.
This means if I remember correctly anyone, so surely Tesco’s could be reported to the HSE for a breech of H & S law if f they are forcing drivers to drive in a manner which it could be argued causes a road safety issue.

If anyone belives thier H & S is being put at risk by Tesco’s policy you can contact the HSE here
hse.gov.uk/contact/enquiry.htm

Rikki-UK:

• Which RDC , and is it run by TESCO’s or a sub contractor e.g: Wincantons, Exel etc(if a sub-contractor who?)
    Many Tescos delivered
    No,i had to unload :smiley:
    Yep
  • If you had to use the drivers waiting room, was it comfortable, what facilities were available?
    :question: I had to unload :exclamation:
    1 Hour?one and a half

:smiley: No,tired :smiley:

If anyone has any photos (dont worry about the quality of them) of the “Drivers Rest Rooms”, can they please post them or e-mail them to me…

i don’t bring negative Photos of Customers solong no one is in danger :exclamation:

the goods in office at middlewich you go in one door to a room then there is another door and small area with the reception window very dark and dismal i cannot understand why it is like that maybe it is to stop furious drivers all ganging up on the bolchvichs on the otherside it really is a dirty little hole to think this day in age and a company of that size that likes to promote itself andits image to the customers as being so high and caring all i can say is shame on you tesco
there is a different world behind that polished facade that the customers dont see

:slight_smile: Tesco’s Chepstow. Believed to be run by Exel. :unamused:

Note the hard bench has a plank of wood up on the wall above it, it sits about shoulder height and is extremely uncomfortable and likely to cause back problems very quickly. Note, no H&S on that one, til someone claims being injured.
Luckily I only had one half pallet of over spill and was away within 20 minutes.

i tipped at the new tesco,s depot in peterborough last week.
20 pallets was unloaded by a couple of friendly polish guys in under 15 minutes :smiley:
forget to mention that this rdc is not open yet, but when it is it will probable take 4 hours to have 4 pallets tipped by some miserable english guy :wink:

rdc work???nnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooo thank you. :wink:

DAFMAD:

Note the hard bench has a plank of wood up on the wall above it, it sits about shoulder height and is extremely uncomfortable and likely to cause back problems very quickly.

I presume that you were in the ambient section. A backrest. :unamused: Luxury.

Try the chilled section. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Middleton Chilled, Wincanton (I think).

Driver’s toilet, presume unisex. One pan. No door lock. Was in a disgusting state when last visited.

I left feeling ‘rested’ but my bowels were required to remain under some stress.

Rikki-UK:

What is your point Rikki :question: I take it that you have good reason for asking these question’s :question: and that we will find out in due course. :laughing: :laughing:

What is your point Rikki

We already have an article on The Insider about HSE practices at RDC’s, This has led to a response directly to us from TESCO’s.

However if we cannot show the claims that are made in the article are true for a number of drivers then they can be dismissed as just a single persons experiences.

Barrie at Truckersworld and other websites are actively persuing TESCO’s over this policy of forcing drivers to wait extended periods in areas that clearly do not allow drivers to rest suffciently. WE are supporting those actions by using the magazine part of the site to bring this issue to the fore, and using our larger membership/web user numbers to gain facts and opinion from drivers

That is good Rikki,and i’m aware of the other thread/topic’s on Tesco’s.But i think that if you and Barrie require a better response about Tesco’s then maybe a letter to TRUCK & DRIVER and other trucker’s mag’s would be a good idea.I think you’d get a more accurate number.

I do not deliver to RDC’s. I choose to do a job which doesn’t send me anywhere near them. I am pleased I don’t. I would hope not to until their attitude towoard the driver changes. I may have a long wait :open_mouth::roll:. I don’t feel it’s any skin off my nose :stuck_out_tongue:.

A friend of mine called “lottery” (because he had a rollover :wink:) tipped at the Chesterfield today & they said he couldn’t wait in cab.

A "disscusion followed at the end of which it was agreed he could drop trailer on bay but this was only 'coz it was a container.

There was a portakabin with plastic seats & a .21p a go coffee machine with a 4 hr tip.

This is information I gained from a quick phone call so I shall endeavour to get him to put up a more detailed account at the weekend as he is a new recruit on here