Have you always been a driver?

Whilst talking to a few drivers I’ve noticed that almost all have “tried” a different job before (getting stuck as) being a driver.

Myself I had a very short spell as a chippy (carpenter) & have run a parts department as well.

If you have done somthing else what was it.

or

Are you a “lifer”

I did quite a few things before I got my class1 in 1980. Like went down the pit, on the hod, factories, tyrefitter, driving 7.5 tonners ect. But Im pretty much a lifer I reckon now!

I started out as a trainee salesman for comet… Did that for a year… The course finished… i left and went into a clothes warehouse for nearly ten years… passed my class 1 and been driving ever since

left school at 16 started for my brotherinlaw as drivers mate on home deliveries that lasted nearly a year until he packed it in .then worked in warehouses driving flt,s till i was 22 took my class 1 and been driving until may of this year when my wife became ill.new job househusband /dad.lifer yes i miss the road and being around trucks and when my wifes better i,ll be back behind the wheel :laughing:

I Ran my own business for almost 20 years with the help of my Dad, he says it’ was the other way round! I took my Class 1, because it was a childhood ambition to drive an artic! When I passed and the family sold out, I decided to drive for a while, because I loved it! Still do, but I refuse to be someone’s pet dog! Which is unfortunately what is happening to drivers at the moment. I also refuse to invest in transport because of the way our professional drivers are looked upon! Sometimes encouraged by the very people who are claiming to help"

42 years as a driver with other bits here and there.
Merchant Navy college, sales office, labourer, (building A52 Nottm-Derby),seafarer,overland bus driver(to India), housepainter, bible salesman, taxi driver, road roller driver, foundryworker, backpacker, transport manager,owner driver,haulier, - I don’t think I’ve left anything out :open_mouth:
Now engaged digging holes in my landscape :laughing: .

Salut, David.

I done some training and some hotel work as a Silver Service waiter for about 5 years, done a bit of bar work and a bit of mechanics here and there, i would love another profession apart from driving a truck but it looks like im stuck in this job now.

worked in paving and groundworks for twenty two years, fourteen running my on business, got into driving by chance, took class 2 to run a tipper for my own firm and found i enjoyed driving far more than the building game so took class 1, don’t know whats round the corner, but could well spend the rest of my days driving.

Done other things in the dim and distant past but I’ve been doing this crap for so long now I can’t see any way out of it.

When I left school I went to work for a musical instrument manufacturers, which I did for 12 years (4 as self employed) before it all went south & in desperation I signed on with Driverhire, doing 70 drops a day for White Arrow/ Reality, and onwards and upwards(?) from there.

HGV Mech and some Operating of Machinery

Gave up driving 30 years ago as a mugs game, but what goes around…

Started out as an electronics engineer and learnt to drive in the T.A, moved to the smoke and did a little tipper/skip work before going back into electronics. The next 20 odd years spent in the computer industry, field engineer, systems analyst, self employed trainer, etc, etc, till I just got fed up with the whole thing…

In the mean time I’d moved back to where I belong, spent a few years bumming about, odd contract here and there but most of the time having a laugh, till someone decided I had to get a job. :unamused:

So here I am, got my class 1 a year ago, did a month or 2 on the trollies and been tramping ever since… I love it, but she want me home cause I’m having way too much fun :unamused:

And to you folks who’d give this crack up tomorrow all I’d say is it’s not always greener on the other side, think about it…

What other industry could give you the flexibility like this one, to be able to work as little or as often as you like whenever you want.

No real agro from anyone and no expectations whatsoever, to the extent no-one bats an eye if I say I can’t read…

And most every day is an adventure, or could be… I believe there’s a job out there for everyone.

Oh, and dare I mention remunerations :wink:

After leaving forces went into factory work,( mundane and boring), then went into driving :smiley: However, I am at an age now (45) where I cannot see me doing anything else. Maybe, the opportunities are now longer there as they were when I was younger, who knows. :confused:

Did a couple of years building hearse’s
a few years playing at being a war hero
Then i had a couple of years popping pills and smoking :wink:
then i was a bike mechanic
then a bus driver
then a truckie
then an owner driver (courier)
back to being a truckie

and it looks like im here until something better comes up

simon

Worked with my Dad roofing, until i could drive, not run out of fuel yet love it :smiley: 24 years

Did a few office jobs after leaving college and eventually went on to work as a cashier in a petrol station just round the corner from my gaff at the time. Progressed through there to become Site Manager for 5 years and apart from the money being crap, I loved it. The two lads who did the early and late shifts respectively became my two best mates and still are to this day.

Left there to work for HSBC (Midland bank back in those days) in a cash centre in Leeds, processing retail store takings and from supermarket giants such as Morrisons. Went on to become the line manager in the CSI room where all the ATM (cash machine) notes were prep’d. On an average day I’d have around £40m in cash going through my hands .

Got bored of that when they upped the target’s to stupid levels and went out to do my class 2 and class 1 and here I am now. :smiling_imp:

sarted out in a steel stockists on a yts cutting steel and loading trucks (think thats where i got the bug).

did a week working in great mills and hated every minute of it. moved from there to become a storeman in a local diy manufactures with mostly women working there (had its perks) :wink:

then onto building tyres at a remould company (not around anymore) . then onto a pet supplies wholesellers. where i did every job from picking orders to loading them onto trucks and in the end route planing and driving (yet again more perks ,home first )

then from there it was driving all the way.

jon

jonboy:
then onto a pet supplies wholesellers. where i did every job from picking orders to loading them onto trucks and in the end route planing and driving

jon

Thacker’s ■■?

I drove for them and it was toilet …

ive done allsorts yts office then 5 yrs at the place then warehousing mainly flt and a bit of 7.5 tonners then a teamleaders job dealing with alot of transport, had enough of that stress and took my class 2 last yr and i love driving. days like today sunny n nice make it all worthwile…so next feb i hope to do my class 1 ive had an assessment and i love it :smiley:

After 11 years in IT I was made redundant, and found to be either over or underqualified for everything - so made the change. Enjoying it so far anyway !!