Have we all gone mad

just read about a company fitting air bags to bottom of cycle guards and a hole in n/s door with window in it ■■?what can they see that I can not with my mirrors ,are trucks just to unsafe to be working in large towns and citys ■■? :unamused:

fuse:
just read about a company fitting air bags to bottom of cycle guards and a hole in n/s door with window in it ■■?what can they see that I can not with my mirrors ,are trucks just to unsafe to be working in large towns and citys ■■? :unamused:

Cyclists die under the wheels of lorries. Surely anything that gives the driver half a chance of avoiding that is good?

Cyclists and yes I ride a bike regularly have to learn to take some responsibility for their own well being.If we look out for them how about them looking out for us.Use common sense and we can all go home after doing whatever we went out to do.

What’s the problem with putting a window in the lower part of the nearside cab door.It’s nothing new they’ve been doing it for decades,also sometimes together with a mirror,and it might be a life saver. :confused:

i.ytimg.com/vi/NhOzykrFvbI/maxresdefault.jpg

hankstruckpictures.com/pix/t … le0013.jpg

alamcculloch:
Cyclists and yes I ride a bike regularly have to learn to take some responsibility for their own well being.If we look out for them how about them looking out for us.Use common sense and we can all go home after doing whatever we went out to do.

Agree completely. There’ll come a time when one of two things will happen. Either they’ll ban all lorries from city centres during rush hour (where no doubt cyclists will find another way to kill themselves) or they’ll realise that cyclists have to take responsibility.

i can remember some Scania 141’s had a window in the passenger door as well!

The Ford Cargo had window in the bottom half of the door. But no curtain to cover it…

I used to drive a ford cargo truck 30 odd years ago that had a similar thing. Every and any visual improvement is a good thing imo.

was their a small leyland with something like that (early 80s ?) not sure if it was in the door or the footwell looking forward. I normally keep all me clobber in the footwell so would never be able to see out of it.

Anyhows, I don’t think the truck design is to blame, it is the crap driver inside it that is usually the problem, when he shares the same bit of road as a crap cyclist (and there’s plenty of them) then a tragedy is likely. A good driver will allow for the crap cyclist, and a good cyclist is unlikely to get killed by a crap driver - it’s when the two meet up the problems ensue.

Back in the 60s milk lorries had a window in the n.s. door low down.The milk boys had a platform at the back to stand on . The H.and S. brigade would not allow the fun that we used to have nowadays.

Yes, bibble bobble, diddly do, we’re all crackers yadda dadda dooo

Yes Bluey, the Leyland Roadrunner (replaced the Terrier) had the window in the left corner of the grille. In Classic Truck a few months ago, someone spent a fortune turning a clapped out Leyland Daf 45 tipper into Roadrunner. It would’ve been cheaper to buy a newer truck.

Captain Caveman 76:

fuse:

Cyclists die under the wheels of lorries. Surely anything that gives the driver half a chance of avoiding that is good?

Absolutely, we have to do everything we can to avoid contact with cyclists, and to me, no effort is too great.

I still think were mad ,trucks in early sixties had small round mirrors and some did not have a a n/s one.they did not have a curb mirror or the ability to see all wheels ,or the one that looks down front bumper, perhaps we should go back to foden half cab plenty of all round vision there.I ride a bike but I do not go near a bus or large vehicle unless I get eye contact.

Muckaway:
Yes Bluey, the Leyland Roadrunner (replaced the Terrier) had the window in the left corner of the grille. In Classic Truck a few months ago, someone spent a fortune turning a clapped out Leyland Daf 45 tipper into Roadrunner. It would’ve been cheaper to buy a newer truck.

Aye, that was the one. it could even join in with the cyclist by going onto two wheels

fuse:
I still think were mad ,trucks in early sixties had small round mirrors and some did not have a a n/s one.they did not have a curb mirror or the ability to see all wheels ,or the one that looks down front bumper, perhaps we should go back to foden half cab plenty of all round vision there.I ride a bike but I do not go near a bus or large vehicle unless I get eye contact.

You should try the A3 in the morning then it’s like the Tour de France you need all the mirrors and cameras you can get

You can’t protect stupid from itself 100%, that applies to those on two legs right through to those in command of the largest vehicles and ocean going vessels.

It matters not if someone deems themselves, usually its political expediency, to be a special interest or protected minority or more equal than others, you will never alter the blindingly obvious that soft human body verses steel and steel hard rubber is only going to see one winner if the two should meet, hospitals and mortuaries if they could speak would offer evidence that being in the right (in your own mind) matters not one jot.

The Maggie Deutz, first type artic I drove (not that one) also had the side window in and it was very handy for blind spots.

images (1).jpg

We have some Renault Midlums that done a lot of urban work with big windows in the lower n/s door.