Have the C but might get the C+E

I have been driving a few months now on a 6 wheeled ridged moving FLT’s and enjoy every minute of it plus the nights out.

I have had my C since the Granddad upgrade from the old Class 3 (passed 27 years ago) but I now fancy another feather in my cap before my 50th :blush: and may go for the full hit C+E with a view to learning more, hopefully, about moving plant as I am weird and like the challenge to lashing various loads down then taking them on and off myself (saves waiting :laughing: ).

My current entitlement allows me C+E with 102 restriction, meaning I can drive “Wag + Drag” though I have no experience on them as yet.

My question is how much would I be looking at £’s wise to just do the C licence and DCPC? As I have not done the DCPC yet even though work said they will pay for the DCPC I think I would rather have it under my belt as time is getting on then maybe claim it back if possible.
The DCPC would also activate my PCV 1 so to speak should I be desperate enough to go back to that life :laughing: even though I could get good money doing it :blush:

I am based in the North West, Merseyside.

Cheers.

I’m in the same boat, mate. Albeit not with 27 years under my belt. I keep saying I’m gonna do CE but buggered if I can find a spare 900 quid, which is what it’ll cost in my neck of the woods. would imagine the price will be similar countrywide.

Good luck.

Cheers bud, I’ve only driven HGV’s very intermittently over the past 27 years but near every week day the last 4 or so months.
Before that I drove buses for 17 years prior to getting a job in the bus companies office.

I have sold my offroad toy and that should cover the cost at about a grand for the licence but that inclusive of the DCPC?

shouldn’t be too costly getting cpc, you should get 7 hours for everyday training on CE, I got 4x7hrs for my cat c training. work paid for the last 7 so I have it.

With us, it would be £1350 for CE at Mansfield. This includes free accommodation. As a Truckneter, I’d also include the cpc FOC. 4 days 1:1 training. Test on day 5. Could extend the training day duration and reduce the number of days if that’s better.

If it’s really down to price, you wont beat what’s on offer if you’re prepared to travel to our new Peterborough branch. There’s some truly amazing deals there including accommodation. So if you want to save several hundreds of pounds, suggest you pm and ask about that.

Silly Peterborough deals wont last much longer - so anyone who wants our training at daft prices should pm sooner rather than later!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

My typical CE course is £1039 inclusive of test fee and VAT. Pleased to announce that we still have a 100% first time pass rate on laden testing.

Paul :smiley:

As you have a CE 102 for W&D only then you could turn up at test centre by yourself in a W&D - put L plates on it - do the full CE test - then at the end whether pass or fail remove L plates and drive off by yourself

Weird that aint it ? !!

NOTE - these days the set up would need to comply with the DSA vehicle test rules such as mirrors for examiner and a certain amount of filled 1000 litre water IBCs in the wagon and the drag

As you are in Liverpool then these two trainers come immediately to mind … there are others

chevrontraining.co.uk/

paulslgvtraining.com/

DearBoy:
shouldn’t be too costly getting cpc, you should get 7 hours for everyday training on CE, I got 4x7hrs for my cat c training. work paid for the last 7 so I have it.

How?
What modules did that cover?
Just curious as I’ve still got 2 left to do but didn;t get any for my C+E but did get 7hrs for eco safe driving on my C training.

J_K:

DearBoy:

How?
Just curious as I’ve still got 2 left to do but didn;t get any for my C+E but did get 7hrs for eco safe driving on my C training.

Periodic dcpc - the 35 hours - is not done in modules - the initial dcpc has 2 modules

Some dcpc training places have 5 different approved courses and name them as modules 1 to 5 so that punters assume they are 5 set modules to be done = clever ploy!

If a training school has their practical LGV on-road training approved for periodic dcpc hours and they have done the approval as a 7 hour then they can use that same 7 hours many times during one course

For 2 to 1 training which might be 5 full days with test on day 5 that 7 hours can be used 4 times for each driver so 28 hours each - test day cannot be included
For 1 to 1 training over 5 half days that 7 hours can be used twice so 14 hours for the one driver

It will cost more on top of the normal price if the course if approved in this way to cover the cost of the dcpc uploads/admin/overheads etc

Ah yeah. I forgot you can do the same CPC course over and over again.

J_K:

DearBoy:

How?

Yup, what ROG said pretty much. I had 7.5t grandfather rights on a pre '97 licence so I didn’t have to do an initial dcpc. It was 2 on 1 training hence 4x7 hour certificates were handed out. The lad I was training with was in his early 20’s, needed to do an initial course to use his C entitlement vocationally so didn’t get any. Which annoyed him somewhat!

I was only offered 1 by my C trainers.
I took it too.
Same deal. Lad I was training with was young and didn’t get any CPC hours and then had to go and do the other stuff before he could drive.

ROG:
It will cost more on top of the normal price if the course if approved in this way to cover the cost of the dcpc uploads/admin/overheads etc

That’s interesting, I wasn’t made aware of that when booking the course. I was lead to believe it was a freebie. 4 days + test cost £980 if I remember correctly. Water under the bridge now though.

Thanks guys, great responses, pm’s to be sent once the car money is in my hand :smiley:

Just a quick update, many thanks for the info but work finally came through and booked the courses with overtime paid.
It was close as I was on the very edge of paying myself.
I did the first course today with some of our tyre fitters and it was far from boring as everyone was mickey taking :laughing: actually had a good laugh.
A bonus is our regular trainer was watching me back all the wagons away after the course as I was the only hgv driver there as they needed to be reversed back into the building, he is having a word with the boss about the C+E for me :wink: :sunglasses:

Thanks again for the replies. :smiley:

That’s a great development! I’m not surprised you enjoyed the training, the courses I’ve seen and heard about have been useful and well worth doing. I’m sure your positive attitude will take you far :smiley:

Thank you TheMissus :smiley:

Apologies for this not directly relating to the original post but…
Could I have included DCPC into my C training last August? I discussed that I needed to do it whilst booking the training and was told they could look into that after I had done my C training.
I did 4 x 8 hour days 2:1 training the the test on day 5.

Apologies to Drift for not being a direct response to his post, good luck with your C+E.