Have I screwed up my daily rest

So after last night’s/ this mornings fiasco I have had to park up and take my daily in the unit. I pulled up at 8:47 am and put the tacho on rest then stupidly I decided to pull my card out at 9.30 odd but tacho is still on rest. Have I lost the first 45 min or so

To be safe just say yes you have lost it and count it again from 09.30. What’s the worst that can happen by starting it again at 09.30? The worst case is you’ve had 9h43m daily rest but you’re also guaranteed that you’ve had a 9 so you’re covered either way.

Or gamble on it from 08.47, start at 17.47 and the worst case is you’ve broken your rest and created an infringement.

Personally I’d stay on the safer side of things…

Why did you pull it out at 9.30?

Do a manual entry or a print out and explain?

I don’t see the difference between this and putting the tacho on rest at 1730 at the end of the day and not removing the card until however minutes later. “Oh dear I got half way home and realised my card was still in the tacho so went back to get it”. Or “my mate started talking to me and 20 minutes later I removed the card.”

In this instance: " I put the tacho on rest at the end of my shift, went and got some breakfast and then took the card out when I got back to the vehicle." Start next shift manual entry **/ 11/22 rest until **.■■ hrs. Or as said simply take however minutes longer for your between shift rest, there is no stipulation that you have to have exactly 9 or 11 hrs rest and no more.

cav551:
In this instance: " I put the tacho on rest at the end of my shift, went and got some breakfast and then took the card out when I got back to the vehicle." Start next shift manual entry **/ 11/22 rest until **.■■ hrs. Or as said simply take however minutes longer for your between shift rest, there is no stipulation that you have to have exactly 9 or 11 hrs rest and no more.

Thats more or less what happened went and got a cuppa and a bacon roll. when i got back to the vehicle i took the card out because i was on a busy estate and heard horror stories of the lorry rocking and causing the tacho to switch to other work

When you put your card back in the tachograph, if you have time to do a printout for todays shift it would be interesting to know what rest the printout shows.

tachograph:
When you put your card back in the tachograph, if you have time to do a printout for todays shift it would be interesting to know what rest the printout shows.

tacho showed 9h50 odd as i didnt put it in till 6:37. if i remember ill do a print out when next back to work

cooper1203:

tachograph:

tacho showed 9h50 odd as i didnt put it in till 6:37. if i remember ill do a print out when next back to work

then again i did a manual entry ao i guess it would oh well

toonsy:
To be safe just say yes you have lost it and count it again from 09.30. What’s the worst that can happen by starting it again at 09.30? The worst case is you’ve had 9h43m daily rest but you’re also guaranteed that you’ve had a 9 so you’re covered either way.

Or gamble on it from 08.47, start at 17.47 and the worst case is you’ve broken your rest and created an infringement.

Personally I’d stay on the safer side of things…

What toonsy says , start rest from when you took card out , I once accidentally put it on poa then realised , instruction from t/o was have 11 hrs off from when you put taco on rest ( I only needed 9 ) , but they said have 11 & we will re-plan work

cooper1203:

cav551:

Thats more or less what happened went and got a cuppa and a bacon roll. when i got back to the vehicle i took the card out because i was on a busy estate and heard horror stories of the lorry rocking and causing the tacho to switch to other work

I’ve spent half my life rocking & rolling in lay-by,s & never had a mode alter , a38, a34 , a66 , a14 etc

cooper1203:
So after last night’s/ this mornings fiasco I have had to park up and take my daily in the unit. I pulled up at 8:47 am and put the tacho on rest then stupidly I decided to pull my card out at 9.30 odd but tacho is still on rest. Have I lost the first 45 min or so

No, you haven’t lost the 45 min. When your card is downloaded, it will show your daily rest starting at 08.47, regardless of if or when you removed the card from the head.
What may confuse you is that when you put the card back in, the head will show “last removal” at 09.30, then it will ask you to confirm whether or not you have been on rest since then. You will presumably answer yes, all is good, and off you go.
DVSA will see what happened, they will also see that the vehicle did not move during the time that you were on rest, and will not have an issue with it.