Have I missed something?

Got a call from my friendly agency and asked if I was working or wanted to work, so said “no and why not” He says its vans if thats okay and its tyre’s :frowning: Anyway work is work and arrive, given all the instructions and paperwork and off I trot. Get on the bypass and just about to engage white van warp drive and it stopped at 60, would go no faster.

Some hint was gleaned on the first drop and daylight had broken, on the back doors were the worlds " Please be patient as this van is limited to 64 MPH" I do have to say, no one was patient and is this a law thats just come in, they are spanking new vans this firm has just bought and why 64 MPH, it seems on the 3 days I did for them a not quite correct speed to be going in motorway traffic, a little too slow for overtaking with a lane full of cars wondering why a white van is moving so slow.

I do try to keep up with the fuzzy logic of traffic laws, but have I missed something?

I got a shiny new Ford Transit 3.5t van 6 months ago,gets onto the city bypass,wouldn’t go above 62 mph. :open_mouth:
There’s a sticker on the sun visor saying it is limited to 100 km/hr. :confused:
Have asked around and nobody knows anything about why a speed limiter has been fitted to a van. :confused:
Maybe a white van man on here knows. :slight_smile:

I believe anything with twin rear wheels and 3.5t plus is to be fitted with a limiter if new.
Would you believe the law came from Brussels ? :smiley:

What was the MAM of the van?

I used to drive a 17 seat Transit minibus and one of the 3 we had was limited to 62mph on coming back from a service and the other two had to be done before 1st Jan 2008.

AFAIK if it’s under 3500kg then it’s not mandatory to have a limiter. Over that and a whole can of worms which is EU directive 2002/85/EC applies. The UK didn’t support it, but had to go with the flow so have delayed implementation to the last possible moment allowed.

Yes they are / have limited everything over 3.5t to 60 mph

7.5t to 56 mph :unamused:

This was done earlier this year not quite sure when exactly

macplaxton:
What was the MAM of the van?

I used to drive a 17 seat Transit minibus and one of the 3 we had was limited to 62mph on coming back from a service and the other two had to be done before 1st Jan 2008.

AFAIK if it’s under 3500kg then it’s not mandatory to have a limiter. Over that and a whole can of worms which is EU directive 2002/85/EC applies. The UK didn’t support it, but had to go with the flow so have delayed implementation to the last possible moment allowed.

Unladen weight is 1.7t,it can take the same payload which means it falls just under the 3.5t.
It should be exempt, so no need to have limiter fitted,bizarre. :confused:

Good its just not me then…

On that note, as a go around in speed restricted van, should I be in the outside lane of a motorway, the natural habitat of the white van?

I guess I can now disable the parachute deploying system for braking when the dropping zone is fast approaching and I have also now noticed that the countryside is not blurred at all.

drew128:
Good its just not me then…

On that note, as a go around in speed restricted van, should I be in the outside lane of a motorway, the natural habitat of the white van?

I guess I can now disable the parachute deploying system for braking when the dropping zone is fast approaching and I have also now noticed that the countryside is not blurred at all.

Nope, sorry but you can’t use the ‘outside lane’ with a limiter fitted. You’ll have to stay inside with the rest of us slowcoaches.

Can you believe, as well as large vans and 7.5t

Fire engines are now speed limited !!! :open_mouth:

When they are not on an emergency run they have a fully functioning limiter set at 56mph but when the blue lights are on the limiter is switched off,

Older ones you just plant your foot and off you go,

Do gooders always spoil all the fun !!!

vans over 2 ton(I beliver)have a top speed of 60mph on duel carrageways now and 50mph on single roads…I got a speed limiter on my merc sprinter as well…

115mph :smiley:
But some of the other company vans have got limiters as well set at 75mph and the newer vans are set at 60mph…

Discopete:

When they are not on an emergency run they have a fully functioning limiter set at 56mph but when the blue lights are on the limiter is switched off,

Is that an Irish invention :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:

Discopete:

Is that an Irish invention :stuck_out_tongue:

yea cos we irish are known for sticking to speed limits

what■■?

I thought it was 56mph for vans over 3.5tons not 62mph, i thought that was another complaint if they had to be limited should have been limited to same speed as coaches. But then again considering the speed limit for these vehicles is 70mph, if there should be a limiter should be set to the speed limit. But of course its Europe, our speed limits dont count and faceless, unaccountable people in Europe rule our transport industry.

60mph limiter is prob a company thing, prob get cheaper insurance. At DHL the sprinters we drove were limited to 72mph and that was about 4 years ago.

Kenny1975:
I thought it was 56mph for vans over 3.5tons not 62mph, i thought that was another complaint if they had to be limited should have been limited to same speed as coaches. But then again considering the speed limit for these vehicles is 70mph, if there should be a limiter should be set to the speed limit. But of course its Europe, our speed limits dont count and faceless, unaccountable people in Europe rule our transport industry.

60mph limiter is prob a company thing, prob get cheaper insurance. At DHL the sprinters we drove were limited to 72mph and that was about 4 years ago.

The 62mph I mentioned was for a minibus. That’s a 100km/h I think. I used to drive 7 years ago a van limited to 72mph, it didn’t have a limiter, it was just a donkey of a 1997 LDV “Sherpa” Convoy! :smiley: