Have I broke the speed limit?

chaversdad:

Own Account Driver:

chaversdad:
I know a lot of pickup drivers who have been caught out as well

They shouldn’t do unless they are only two wheel drive, or over 2040kg unladen, as dual purpose vehicles can do car national speed limits the same as car derived vans.

Sorry but they cant, if a pickup has a capacity to carry a ton or more then it is a commercial vehicle and the relevant speed limits apply, for anyone else who may find thereselves in a vehicle they are unsure about then this tells you whats a car and whats van

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … ay2015.pdf

While I have no knowledge on the subject, conspicuously Ford Ranger, Nissan Navara, Mitsubishi L200, Isuzu Dmax all pickups missing from that list…

F-reds:

chaversdad:

Own Account Driver:

chaversdad:

They shouldn’t do unless they are only two wheel drive, or over 2040kg unladen, as dual purpose vehicles can do car national speed limits the same as car derived vans.

Sorry but they cant, if a pickup has a capacity to carry a ton or more then it is a commercial vehicle and the relevant speed limits apply, for anyone else who may find thereselves in a vehicle they are unsure about then this tells you whats a car and whats van

While I have no knowledge on the subject, conspicuously Ford Ranger, Nissan Navara, Mitsubishi L200, Isuzu Dmax all pickups missing from that list…

The reason being that list is to cover borderline vehicles which maybe subject to confusion, Pickups are 100% commercial vehicle so theres no need for them to be on the list, same way the bug transits arent on the list as everyone knows what they are

chaversdad:

Own Account Driver:

chaversdad:

Nope, if it’s got 4WD and is a twin cab pick up it is classed as a dual purpose vehicle and car speed limits apply, but it must have both.
There’s further bits in the legislation that refer to the area of windows, (you’d be there forever trying to work it out), but to all intents and purposes a proper twin cab Hilux Ranger L200 Navara, so long as they have 4WD fitted car limits apply…no 4WD or 4WD with single cab (not sure about King cab), then its a commercial for speed limits.

I used to keep a print out of the relevant legislation in my twin cab Hilux in case of getting pulled by a plod who wasn’t fully up to speed.

burnley-si:

alix776:
It depends on the weight and what it says on the v5

not 100% right, ‘Car-derived’ vans weigh no more than 2 tonnes when loaded and are based on car designs, for example:

Ford Fiesta van.
Vauxhall Corsa van.
Fiat Punto van.
Peugeot 207 van.
Renault Clio van.

Great my kangoo is fine the. Woohoo

gov.uk/speed-limits

Cars, motorcycles, car-derived vans and dual-purpose vehicles 30 (48) 60 (96) 70 (112) 70 (112)

Talking out of my bum. Dual purpose vehicles are not “goods vehicles”. Oops

Roymondo:

Don’t feel bad about it :sunglasses: , i didn’t know for sure when we bought the thing either, just assumed it had commercial limits, but on another forum a retired old school plod pointed me to the relevant pages.

Bloody weird discrepency, i doubt most coppers would have a clue either.

chaversdad:

Own Account Driver:

chaversdad:

It sounds like that list relates to VAT classification. It’s not unusual, but an exceptionally poor state of affairs, for a vehicle to be classified as one type for one bit of government legislation but that doesn’t mean it automatically does for another.

Pickups however that qualify for dual purpose vehicle status are exempt from o-licencing when towing a trailer for hire and reward if they qualify for that they also qualify for car national speed limits and vice versa add on the fact you can get the vat back you can see why they have been so popular despite all being ghastly machines really, even the newest ones.

Juddian:

Roymondo:

Don’t feel bad about it :sunglasses: , i didn’t know for sure when we bought the thing either, just assumed it had commercial limits, but on another forum a retired old school plod pointed me to the relevant pages.

Going back a few years, “dual purpose vehicles” essentially meant estate cars/shooting brakes, when it totally made sense to have them subject to the same speed limits etc as the saloon cars on which they were based. Essentially, that’s my excuse for getting it wrong…

Roymondo:

Juddian:

Roymondo:

Going back a few years, “dual purpose vehicles” essentially meant estate cars/shooting brakes, when it totally made sense to have them subject to the same speed limits etc as the saloon cars on which they were based. Essentially, that’s my excuse for getting it wrong…

Shooting brake■■?, bugger me, i bet half the lads here have never heard the term, did you put Town & Country’s on the back axle for the winter too… :smiling_imp: , i might have done… :open_mouth:

Dunno about ghastly machines OAD, i’d have another Hilux in a heartbeat.

Well boys i hold my hands up and admit i was wrong on the pickup as it is indeed a dual purpose vehicle, now i have 2 questions,

1: my wife was done for speeding at 59mph on a S/C in 2008 in our Navara, should i take it further now i know it was wrong ?

2: Does my Transit Custom come under the dual purpose vehicle banner as it meets the criteria of a fixed roof, 2nd row of seats behind the driver, side windows and an unladen weight of under 2040kgs ?

chaversdad:
Well boys i hold my hands up and admit i was wrong on the pickup as it is indeed a dual purpose vehicle, now i have 2 questions,

1: my wife was done for speeding at 59mph on a S/C in 2008 in our Navara, should i take it further now i know it was wrong ?

2: Does my Transit Custom come under the dual purpose vehicle banner as it meets the criteria of a fixed roof, 2nd row of seats behind the driver, side windows and an unladen weight of under 2040kgs ?

If the Nav was a full twin cab with 4WD, then yes i think you should take some action if for no other reason than to get your fine and costs re-imbursed.
How you go about it i suppose depends how she was nicked, presumably a camera van?..maybe write to the chief constable for the traffic area concerned, if that falls on deaf ears maybe let your MP earn his/her pay?
Might as well let the big cheeses sort it for you, for free hopefully.

I haven’t a clue whether the ■■■■■■ is a dual purpose or not, when i read the legalise about my then pick up re the area of windows etc me head spun.

Im in a mind to do something but not sure i can be arsed tbh, it was registered to my company so the business paid the fine and the points are long gone, something for the weekend perhaps, as for the Transit , well i.ll just crack on and plead ignorance :smiley:

Juddian:

chaversdad:

Own Account Driver:

chaversdad:

Nope, if it’s got 4WD and is a twin cab pick up it is classed as a dual purpose vehicle and car speed limits apply, but it must have both.
There’s further bits in the legislation that refer to the area of windows, (you’d be there forever trying to work it out), but to all intents and purposes a proper twin cab Hilux Ranger L200 Navara, so long as they have 4WD fitted car limits apply…no 4WD or 4WD with single cab (not sure about King cab), then its a commercial for speed limits.

I used to keep a print out of the relevant legislation in my twin cab Hilux in case of getting pulled by a plod who wasn’t fully up to speed.

Correct about the dual purpose vehicle speeds if, they are under 2040kgs unladen, some of the newer ones are over this so the lower limits apply.

gov.uk/government/publicati … e-vehicles
Dual purpose vehicles

A dual purpose vehicle is a vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage both of passengers and of goods and designed to weigh no more than 2,040 kg when unladen, and is either:
•constructed or adapted so that the driving power of the engine is, or can be selected to be, transmitted to all wheels of the vehicle

or
•permanently fitted with a rigid roof, at least one row of transverse passenger seats to the rear of the driver’s seat and will have side and rear windows - there must also be a minimum ratio between the size of passenger and stowage areas

See The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (Part 1 Regulation 3) for the full definition.

pig pen:
A dual purpose vehicle is a vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage both of passengers and of goods and designed to weigh no more than 2,040 kg when unladen, and is either:
•constructed or adapted so that the driving power of the engine is, or can be selected to be, transmitted to all wheels of the vehicle

or
•permanently fitted with a rigid roof, at least one row of transverse passenger seats to the rear of the driver’s seat and will have side and rear windows - there must also be a minimum ratio between the size of passenger and stowage areas

See The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (Part 1 Regulation 3) for the full definition.

Its this 2nd part that makes it seem like my baby transit should be in that class

I really like some of the replies but how do you the quote box in a reply, I have tried to copy & paste?

daf1691:
I really like some of the replies but how do you the quote box in a reply, I have tried to copy & paste?

If you are using a web browser on a computer, just click the “quote” button in the upper right hand corner of the message that you want to quote.

If you are using Tapatalk on a smartphone or tablet, you need to tap on the “back to the left” arrow icon below the message text.

In both cases, you should end up with a new message editor window with the quoted text already filled in.

Alternatively, you can manually include the word “quote” in square brackets at the start of a piece of text and “/quote” in square brackets at the end of it.

just like this

i use to own a toyota amazon and in the handbook it stated that in certain circumstances when towing a trailer depending on local legislation,it had to have a tacho fitted!

thanks for all the replies,

I’ve received the paperwork back from North Wales Police & they’ve given me the option of a speed awareness course. So I’m going for that!

While I’m on, how do you do the “quote box” in a reply?