Have I been very lucky in the past?

So the company I do work for at the moment is the only company I have done work for, always been great never needed to worry. I run the truck in the day and I have driver that’s runs at night Monday to Friday plus I do the odd Saturday, it works well and is a good earner. Works been quiet as well all know! So I started phoning round and went and met with a TM told him the situation and what we normally do and he looked at me like I’d just punched his nan in the mouth I’ve never seen a bloke look so confused? To which he basically told me you run 5 days a week for us (on shocking rates) and your be away all week or you can run days but we won’t do both. We shook hands i said thanks but no thanks. My question is does anyone else have a setup like me? We do bulk work 1 unit 1 tipping trailer and occasional use of their trailers for dry powder (at a cost of course)
Am I lucky? Was it an unreasonable ask?

Aabulk:
So the company I do work for at the moment is the only company I have done work for, always been great never needed to worry. I run the truck in the day and I have driver that’s runs at night Monday to Friday plus I do the odd Saturday, it works well and is a good earner. Works been quiet as well all know! So I started phoning round and went and met with a TM told him the situation and what we normally do and he looked at me like I’d just punched his nan in the mouth I’ve never seen a bloke look so confused? To which he basically told me you run 5 days a week for us (on shocking rates) and your be away all week or you can run days but we won’t do both. We shook hands i said thanks but no thanks. My question is does anyone else have a setup like me? We do bulk work 1 unit 1 tipping trailer and occasional use of their trailers for dry powder (at a cost of course)
Am I lucky? Was it an unreasonable ask?

TBF, there are a lot of TMs & owners who havent a clue how to run a truck properly, or if they do, a subbie aint at that particular table unless they are in the mire unfortunately…

Ringing round, and having chats will bring home how lucky you are, I`d be riding this crap out and be ready for the take off when it goes back to “normal”, as there are going to a ■■■■ sight less of us about to satisfy demand [IMO]… :wink:

I’d do alright I could keep going where I am, it would be a case of loosing my driver which is what I don’t want if I can help it because he’s bloody good, drives it like it’s his own and doesn’t stop! I’ve pulled in the yard many a time to find him loading for my first tip to get me out quicker! There’s plenty in the day just the nights that have gone dire but rates wise none of this has really affected us luckily!

You’ve been lucky up to now so talk to the company you normally work for to find out how they see things progressing for themselves. Is there no work from them at all or just diminished to a percentage of normal? If the rate you get from them is as good as you say then if the work available covers your standing costs or better still even part of the fuel then stick with them only. Taking on work at a shocking rate on the terms indicated is a recipe for real problems if you can’t get the number of loads per week from this new speculative venture, or worse you run into a spell of bad luck with the vehicle and delays.

It sounds like you are keen to keep your driver on so maybe you could furlough him or yourself or devise some other means to keep him, if your customer’s operation is no longer 24hrs ? There have been changes in the last week to the Furlough scheme which make it more flexible, you need to read what these are, but from 1st glance it seems that you could furlough your driver for almost any period repeatedly thus rotating which of you works for how many days. I know it sounds odd but can you reduce your personal drawings from the business temporarily?

Can you furlough one of the drivers and let him carry on regardless :wink: Nudge Nudge

Cav551 they’ve got work it’s still pretty busy, basically I run muck away in the day and he pulls sand/stone/type 1 at night. Occasionally I pull aggregate aswell but mainly I’m on muck, for instance last week I pulled 47 loads but come the night shift one of the nights I had to stand him down all together because they just didn’t have anything and one night he had one load, not worth a w***! Not that many firms seem to take on subbys for muck away in the south, not dedicated anyway! If anyone’s knows of anything please let me know!