Have Class C, can I do C1+E?

HGV/LGV terminology.
Using the terms ‘Class’ & ‘HGV’ will get many confused as they are no more.
LGV terms are C1. C & C+E and they have a different meaning to the old terms.
The change was 01/01/1997

OLD -
HGV class 3 - rigid over 7.5 tonnes with 2 axles
HGV class 2 - rigid over 7.5 tonnes with more than 2 axles
HGV class 1 - ARTIC
HGV classes 2 & 3 drivers may also have entitlement to drive Wagon & Drags

NEW -
LGV C - any rigid vehicle over 7.5 tonnes (including an artic unit)
LGV C+E - any C which has a trailer - be it Drag or artic trailer.

HGV classes 2 & 3 drivers who have entitlement to drive Wagon & Drags will have a code 102 (Drawbar trailers only)
Now here come the ‘funny’ bit :wink: - A driver with the 102 code can drive a W&D to the DSA LGV test centre on their own - put L plates on it - do a LGV C+E test in it - if they pass then they have full LGV C+E so can now drive ARTICS - if they fail they can still drive out of test centre on their own as they still have a W&D licence :exclamation:

ROG:
HGV/LGV terminology.
Using the terms ‘Class’ & ‘HGV’ will get many confused as they are no more.
LGV terms are C1. C & C+E and they have a different meaning to the old terms.

OLD -
HGV class 3 - rigid over 7.5 tonnes with 2 axles
HGV class 2 - rigid over 7.5 tonnes with more than 2 axles
HGV class 1 - ARTIC
HGV classes 2 & 3 drivers may also have entitlement to drive Wagon & Drags

NEW -
LGV C - any rigid vehicle over 7.5 tonnes (including an artic unit)
LGV C+E - any C which has a trailer - be it Drag or artic trailer.

HGV classes 2 & 3 drivers who have entitlement to drive Wagon & Drags will have a code 102 (Drawbar trailers only)
Now here come the ‘funny’ bit :wink: - A driver with the 102 code can drive a W&D to the DSA LGV test centre on their own - put L plates on it - do a LGV C+E test in it - if they pass then they have full LGV C+E so can now drive ARTICS - if they fail they can still drive out of test centre on their own as they still have a W&D licence :exclamation:

Rog that’s not funny that’s hilarious but I suppose that’s what everyone thought about the old regs which I remember(but did’nt those old regs say class 3 or 2 drivers also have entitlement to wagon and drag’ not ‘may also have’) and which seem,to me,to make more sense.The bit I’d like to know is how does the examiner stop himself from laughing if he writes out that failure note?.

ROG:

This particular change was before then, 1991 or possibly earlier IIRC. Not that it matters though :smiley:

mrpj:

ROG:

This particular change was before then, 1991 or possibly earlier IIRC. Not that it matters though :smiley:

Perhaps that was the change on the licences

It was 1.1997 - - not that it matters :laughing: :laughing:

If I think back to the days before LGV C+E I can only remember every seeing W&D with A-bar trailers not the modern Close Coupled trailers , is this why people get confused by C+E ?

miketdt:
If I think back to the days before LGV C+E I can only remember every seeing W&D with A-bar trailers not the modern Close Coupled trailers , is this why people get confused by C+E ?

I don’t think that is an issue because we were driving artics,close coupled,and a frame trailers under the old licence regs.But learning to drive for a C+E licence on a caravan/close coupled job is the worst of all worlds as it does’nt allow you to learn all the skills needed to drive artics or proper/a frame wagon and drags.

Peter Smythe:

For the record it was 1/6/90 when the new style C and CE came into effect, the changes in 1997 ended the rights of newly qualified car drivers to drive C1,D1 etc…

mrpj:

Peter Smythe:

For the record it was 1/6/90 when the new style C and CE came into effect, the changes in 1997 ended the rights of newly qualified car drivers to drive C1,D1 etc…

Whatever date it was I often find myself remembering the easier to understand and arguably better older type regs on most things than the usually retrograde later ideas.

Carryfast:

mrpj:

Peter Smythe:

Whatever date it was I often find myself remembering the easier to understand and arguably better older type regs on most things than the usually retrograde later ideas.

just out of interest when was the last time u could sit a class 3 test, was it when c and ce replaced class 1 and 2 or from the 1997 changes?