Have any of your colleagues become personal friends?

I see a lot of drivers on the phone to other drivers in RDC waiting rooms and the like. Also, some of the lads I work with do things with other drivers at the weekends, fishing, drinking, even going on holiday with their families etc. And it got me thinking, in 21 years of driving for a living, and working at 5 different companies, I don’t think I’ve ever had another driver’s number on my phone, or done anything out of work with a workmate.

In other words, I’ve never made a personal friend at work, even though I generally get along with my colleagues wherever I work. Have you?

Yes, I have many drivers numbers on my phone and speak to them regularly. Both where I work and from previous jobs. It’s like having eyes in different parts of the country for road problems, parking recommendations, info on awkward addresses, venting if you’re having a bad day, swapping knitting patterns etc. it’s also really helpful if you’re new to a company to have a few drivers willing to give advice. I will always offer to help others if they’re new to the job too.

No they are all ■■■■■.

That being said, I do have a fair few phone numbers as they can and do/often help out. Expect when they dont because they are ■■■■■. :grimacing:

I would not say personal friends though, generally the hours I do 10-12+ hours a day and same with the other drivers, most of us have little time to ‘hang’ out after work. I do not drink so dont bother with pubs. Doubt most of them drink either.

NO any other questions

I can count on one hand (and have some fingers left :smiley:) , how many drivers from my firm that I converse with, it stops short at ‘‘Hiya,l’’ and that’s about it, there are only same 2 that I speak on the phone with, and have had a few nights put with in the past whilst at work.

I have two lads on my phone that I have known from school who are both drivers, who I speak with once or twice a week, we meet up for nights out now and again whilst away.

I have a lad I met when I worked with him in 96, and we kept in touch since, .and still knock about with each other at weekends in the boozer watching footbal.

I also have 2 lads who I actually met on here , (who will remain nameless :unamused: ) , that I keep in touch with…One I have to buy his ■■■■ breakfast every time I meet him, and the other I have to keep in pints of lager, and the odd dinner, being that I’m far too ■■■■ generous, so they both take advantage of me. :cry:
Not only that but they ring each other up and talk about me. :cry: :cry: it hurts you know,.with me being a delicate soul and all that. :neutral_face:

Happy Trucker1:
NO any other questions

No, you may sit.

Yes, Hungarian Steve and his family have been out for the day on my boat a few times.

I think most places I’ve worked at there have been one or two drivers who I’ve met up with outside work for a social occasion.

I have a few drivers numbers and am in a whatsapp group of a job I did for a couple of summers but didn’t do this year. One or two contact me on occasion. The Christmas job I did last year and will be doing this year has the entire team staying in a hotel for 2-3 months, so even the most reclusive driver will at some point be forced to share a table at dinner. (unless you take your food back to your room) I can’t think of anybody I would phone up for a night out though.

I had about 60 at my wedding last weekend so i guess so

3 of the other 4 night drivers at the Feltham depot where I worked for Carryfast became good friends outside work.All were around 15-20 years older than me.Two died some years ago bit I’m still in regular contact with the youngest of them.
Who left the firm in around 1990 from memory.

Happy Trucker1:
NO any other questions

You username is very ironical.

ezydriver:
I see a lot of drivers on the phone to other drivers in RDC waiting rooms and the like. Also, some of the lads I work with do things with other drivers at the weekends, fishing, drinking, even going on holiday with their families etc. And it got me thinking, in 21 years of driving for a living, and working at 5 different companies, I don’t think I’ve ever had another driver’s number on my phone, or done anything out of work with a workmate.

In other words, I’ve never made a personal friend at work, even though I generally get along with my colleagues wherever I work. Have you?

A handful from my previous job who are decent dude.
It’s handy to have friends in the trucking industry as you can call upon them for advice and have a chin wag.

I think it very much depends on the type of company you work for and what you do outside work.

When I was at Tesco there was a lot of waiting around and people got to know each other, some went diving together, one of the drivers was an ex navy diver who organised trips out, a few went shooting together and so on. Most companies I have worked for I hardly knew the other drivers.

One a 36 year ongoing personal friendship, several from the more recent transporter days, one brilliant outgoing friend who’s attraction to the fairest of maidens one could only envy sadly ended his own life (i’d begged him not to get involved in a business venture, he didn’t listen, suicide is awful and leaves such deep hurt and guilt all around but the victim obviously can’t see another way out), one from even further back i recently paid my last respects, as has been the case with previous jobs because i started on the lorries so young and i ain’t exactly in the first flush of youth any more.
One from the 70’s we’d lost touch and got back in contact after realising who he was from these very pages.
One i thought was getting back in touch after 20 odd years to catch up, however the reason became clear after 20 minutes, he needed a job.

I Googled…

Friends. It’s either an American TV comedy show or a person with whom one has a bond of mutual affection.

So, no on both counts there.

yourhavingalarf:
I Googled…

Friends. It’s either an American TV comedy show or a person with whom one has a bond of mutual affection.

So, no on both counts there.

If I didn’t have a pathological dislike of people, I think we might get on.

I’d recommend keeping in contact with fellow drivers you get along with.
Even if your anti-social, on multiple occasions I’ve had people ring me about jobs that are available, usually before they are advertised. Taken up a few offers and because I know the guy he gives it to me straight if it is a good one or not.

I keep a few. There is one lady we used to turn up at the same truck stops every now and then we became friends. She even invited me to her wedding.

It’s very rare for me. And once you, or they, move on to other work, there’s a tendency to lose touch, which is quite natural.

Macski:
I think it very much depends on the type of company you work for and what you do outside work.

When I was at Tesco there was a lot of waiting around and people got to know each other, some went diving together, one of the drivers was an ex navy diver who organised trips out, a few went shooting together and so on. Most companies I have worked for I hardly knew the other drivers.

im the same, we got around 150 drivers at our place and every couple of months about 10 drivers we go away to spain or portugal or even to the races, happy days