Haulage firms in South Wales

Anyone here know of any companies in south wales currently taking on drivers, long distance uk

had 12 drivers laid off from raymonds this week most of whom trampers so need to keep my options open, should be ok as they paid from my licence but you can never be too sure.

dont mind what i pull where i go just as long as the wagons are decent, the pay is the same or similar to what i am on at the moment and they dont expect you the run bent.

is andrew villis still there or have they laid him off?

Mansel Davies were looking for trampers out of Pembroke Dock a few weeks back.

not sure dont recognise the name how long has he been here?

about 6-7 years this time, he worked for them before then left to go to carline, then when carline made a few changes he went back. his old man worked there as well driving a rigid. the last time i saw andrew he had just had a new red renault premuim, but that was a few years ago. he lives in brigend

I always thought they were a big firm - see loads of them (Grey and red volvos) on the M4 and the coast road north from Fishguard to aberystwyth (spelling?). Think they have a main yard near Cardigan/Fishguard with others based at various yards such as Pembroke.

They seem to pull either bulkers (doesnt seem to be many), milk tankers (quite a few) or Perenial Freight curtainsiders (loads of em).

Had a quick look on net and they dont seem to have a website but I’ve found a phone number - 01239 831 631

Good luck if you need to take any of your options up mate.

he may still be here then as only newbies went, what was his old mans name?? as if its who i think it is he has retired now so has his truck lol

i think his old man was called irvin or irwin, he was a small old boy with black hair full of brylcream. andrew was completely the oposite, great big fat lad with a scruffy beard

sorry KJW21 i do know of mansel davies, pembroke is a little far for me lol, that comment was to yella.

Yella, yes i know Irvin nice guy by all accounts used to see him up rockwool, lol he retired then jrt had to retire his truck lol,

There’s S&K haulage of Barri Island, if you’re that far east…

Neath i am from so kinda in the middle, newport will probably be furthest for me.

The only thing Mansel Davies don’t do, AFAIK, is HIAB work. Apart from that they’ve got more pies than they’ve got fingers to put in them. They’re probably one of the last really big independent transport companies; reefers, tippers, tankers, bulk blowers, flats and tautliners, they’ve got 'em all. Also Volvo main dealership; the main yard’s at Llanfyrnach, couple of miles off the A478.

Much of their kit is fairly old (they still run a few F12’s on local work) but it’s generally well cared for. Not a fantastic rate (will try to find out what it is) but they pay you for the hours you do, without any hassle, according to my mates who work there. Many drivers have been with them for a long time; never a bad sign.

You could try Owens I suppose; they laid a load off earlier in the year but it’s worth trying. John Pearce are closer at Glynneath, but my future dad-in-law works there and he tells me the rate’s poor although again the motors are old but usable.

One other possibility; N.R. Evans are always advertising for drivers. No personal experience of the firm but they do seem to have a high turnover.

Not many jobs about in and around South Wales at the moment

TDW where advertising last week for their Bridgend depot apart from that all you seem to get is agencies looking for drivers ready for the christmas rush.

You could try Gerry Jones Transport, but I know they are very quite as well.

I have been looking for a new job for months and its tough out there.

c j bird in tonyrefail are taking on, but only class 2. the money aint great either.

they seem to do 2-3 nights out a week, and are hot on cleaning trucks and painting tyres etc…

cjbtransport.co.uk/index.htm

If you like to spend your free time cleaning a lorry Birdies is the job for you, if you want to be paid for it get a job as at a truck wash.

TDW have moved from Ammanford to Bridgend - AFAIK the Ammanford yard will be closing down. They’ve also just taken on Palletline (from Stillers) and pulled out of Pallex, so probably have some “spare” trunk and local delivery drivers as they kept on the Stillers drivers on the Palletline job.

NRE are always looking for drivers - never worked for them, but those I’ve spoken to don’t think much of the job. But each to his own!

Other than that I don’t know much about jobs in the area - a few companies gone under and a lot struggling. I thought JRT were pretty big - must be bad if they’re laying off drivers.

A big chunk of Raymonds work is Roockwool insulation, the building game has gone dead so I suspect thats why they are laying off.

Have heard that Tesco have bought TDW’s old yard for a superstore.

Wayne:
A big chunk of Raymonds work is Roockwool insulation, the building game has gone dead so I suspect thats why they are laying off.

Have heard that Tesco have bought TDW’s old yard for a superstore.

Heard the same, although I can’t remember if Tesco was named.

well i know tdw have bought a yard round the corner from ours, and rockwool have laid off 130 f their staff due to a drop in work, but then again i dont see how as people are spending their money on extensions instead so small building firms are busy still

what about hicks or have they gone too■■?