Hats off to all night workers

i do not know how you guys and gals do this all year,i am ok going to my destination and half way back,but that is when i hit the “wall”,and struggle,my eyes do not function,i feel sick,laying on the bunk does not work,even though minutes before the body has said stop.
Some have said they see black dogs running in front of the truck,like the Patrick Swayse film with Meatoaf as the dodgy transport boss,the eyes play tricks,one night i saw a legion of Luftwafte paratroppers hanging from the trees,time to pull over then.

No you weren’t seeing things it was on the news.

I thought i saw Herman the german and his mate Fritz hanging off the trees.

I know it’s time to have a break when car drivers start using the motorway slip roads properly. Once I had a really frightening experience - I thought I’d completely fallen asleep - I saw a taxi driver signal. Thank God for Pro Plus and coffee :wink: :wink:

A few nights ago on the M25,a foreign trucker decided not to wait until the end of the slip road lines to pull out after stopping on the hard shoulder,he crossed over the line in to my path,with the Highway bods watching in horror in the hard shoulder.
later on a car was driving in to a closed off lane with all the cones,and pulled over at the last second a few metres away from me.

toby1234abc:
A few nights ago on the M25,a foreign trucker decided not to wait until the end of the slip road lines to pull out after stopping on the hard shoulder,he crossed over the line in to my path,with the Highway bods watching in horror in the hard shoulder.
later on a car was driving in to a closed off lane with all the cones,and pulled over at the last second a few metres away from me.

Nothing new there coming down the M6 last night on one set a nice new jag nearly became a nice new addition to my front grill then on the next set an old astra went through the cones. They have a sing 1 mile out yet they still got beat the lorry mentality

I’ve been driving nights for 7 weeks now and my eyes are out on stalks the whole time. Ive seen 4 crashed vehicles 2 of which have been sideways on, across lane 1 with no lights (the others in lane 3), theres no time to relax, you have to be switched on all the time. I quickly learned that having main beam on whenever you can could save either yours or someone elses life.

Am I just unlucky?

I’m starting nights next week :open_mouth: I’m expecting some strange experiences

Madguy :smiling_imp:

schrodingers cat:
I’ve been driving nights for 7 weeks now and my eyes are out on stalks the whole time. Ive seen 4 crashed vehicles 2 of which have been sideways on, across lane 1 with no lights (the others in lane 3), theres no time to relax, you have to be switched on all the time. I quickly learned that having main beam on whenever you can could save either yours or someone elses life.

Am I just unlucky?

I been on nights for about 3 months now, I find drivers are a lot less patient then they are in the day and car drivers a lil bit more crazy. Cant wait to finish the job I’m on and get back to normal hours

done nights for 8 yrs :slight_smile: , far more relaxing than days ,
less traffic though theirs always going to be some fool around,

and guess schrodingers cat would have seen as many if not more accident in the daytime as he has done at night

brushstroke:
done nights for 8 yrs :slight_smile: , far more relaxing than days ,
less traffic though theirs always going to be some fool around,

and guess schrodingers cat would have seen as many if not more accident in the daytime as he has done at night

+1 nights suits me

madguy:
I’m starting nights next week :open_mouth: I’m expecting some strange experiences

Madguy :smiling_imp:

most crazy ppl gone to sleep you will be ok that is untill u hit birmingham, crazy ppl stay up late there usually doing 40 on the m6 :smiley: :imp:
and irish/scottish reefers engage turbo thrust at night (now you see them…now you dont :smiley: )

Having done 22 years of nights, I am not used to DAYTIME driving where as well as being stuck in traffic all the time, you get people cutting you up all the time as well, including old folk on pushbikes. I must be a timid driver to watch I guess…

Seeing a bit of crumpet walking around here and there isn’t sufficient compensation for all the extra stress that driving during rush hours involves. :frowning:

Winseer:
Seeing a bit of crumpet walking around here and there isn’t sufficient compensation for all the extra stress that driving during rush hours involves. :frowning:

day drivers only see the crumpet in work wear !! night drivers see the crumpet on the way too/from a night out :smiley: ,far more interesting , you just have to go through certain towns/areas to get where your going :laughing:

taffytrucker:

toby1234abc:

Nothing new there coming down the M6 last night on one set a nice new jag nearly became a nice new addition to my front grill then on the next set an old astra went through the cones. They have a sing 1 mile out yet they still got beat the lorry mentality

Know that vibe, the tossers break their neck to get past you then drive Miss F-----n Daisy through the road works :smiling_imp:

It takes a while to get in tune with working nights but once you get in the groove you won’t want to return to days.

I work nights with a lot in n around London and I can cross the capital in less than an hour most nights…

Only problems are the mad motorway closures where they don’t bother signing the diversions and trying to flip back to days when home with the family.

Cheers
Neilf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

schrodingers cat:
I’ve been driving nights for 7 weeks now you have to be switched on all the time. I quickly learned that having main beam on whenever you can could save either yours or someone elses life.

^ This.

Although ‘some’ say that night trunking doesn’t need as much skill as ‘other’ types of jobs. :smiling_imp: :unamused: :laughing: .

It’s suprising how quick 7 weeks becomes 7 years and then 7 years becomes 15 years of doing the job when you get used to it.But the clear roads and driving during summer evenings and early mornings beats uk day work. :bulb:

I love driving at night! :sunglasses:

Doing agency my shifts all involve some night work but start times can be all over the place, don’t think I’ve ever had more than 3 successive shifts the same. First shift is fun, second is OK, third is a struggle, by the end of the fourth I never want to see a truck again and half way through the fifth I’m pretty cranky. Think it would be OK if you were doing a regular trunk and could get into a pattern.

Agree traffic conditions are usually better, but there’s no-one to ask directions at 4am :blush: and there is ALWAYS time pressure :confused:

Thank ■■■■ for pro-plus

I’ve not done a lot of night driving but I always found the time just as the sun rises the worst I just couldn’t keep my eyes open.