Has this happened to you

While drive along d/c comming to s/c pressed brake to slow down to 40 mph went back to accelertor and it snapped. managed to get it back to yard as only 4 miles away (volvo). Workshop said it could be upto 3 days to get part as they never heard or saw this happening before.

any input wecomed constructive of course

i have had the ball joint fall apart on the bottom of the gear linkage causing the gearstick itself to drop through the floor whilst coming over the dartford crossing :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

i managed to limp it to my delivery point, get tipped, and then onto the local dealer to get it fixed :sunglasses:

I was the parts man in a workshop of a haulier a while back and seen it a few times on version 1 FH/FMs, the plastic pedal just snapps off leaving a stubb

perhaps being on dc caused ac to snp thus making drt fail in conjunction with arp which in itself does have a problem when connecting tu hgt whislt actually driving
i think thats right but stand to be corrected :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

gezt:
perhaps being on dc caused ac to snp thus making drt fail in conjunction with arp which in itself does have a problem when connecting tu hgt whislt actually driving
i think thats right but stand to be corrected :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

english please not chinese

3 series Scanias were always doing this, the cab used to rock back & forth to the point where it broke the throttle cable, you had to use the hand throttle to get moving then, newer electronically controlled engines don’t have cables so it shouldn’t happen nowadays.

Had a gearstick snap too, it was on a LHD F12, there was an inch or so left sticking up out of the hole so again I managed to get to the yard & get it welded together again, it had probably had the cab shut down on it one too many times, which weakened it.

Quigg:
While drive along d/c comming to s/c pressed brake to slow down to 40 mph went back to accelertor and it snapped. managed to get it back to yard as only 4 miles away (volvo). Workshop said it could be upto 3 days to get part as they never heard or saw this happening before.

did it happen on a friday :question:

Quigg:

Driver Abuse :laughing:

Had an accelerator pedal snap in half on an old MAN F90 going through some roadworks near Apeldoorn in Holland once.
I positively was praying i’d got enough speed to get to the services and i just made it before the bloody thing dropped fell on the floor.
Man came out and he welded it up in his van,refitted it and never had any trouble again,cant help thinking that if it had happened in the UK you’d have had the ooh’s and arghs and it will take about 3 weeks for a new one to arrive from Germany,not in Holland though.

Yes! indeed it has, although it was the clutch pedal and the end snapped off while driving down the M6 in March. Left me with just a stub, thankfully I had my boots on and could just about manipulate it with the tip of my toes.

Quigg:

gezt:

english please not chinese

sense of humour needed :smiley:

Quigg:

I had a similar thing happen to me in a puddle jumper years ago, Leyland Road Runner in a contraflow when the accelerator cable snapped, still over a mile to go in the road works and managed to keep it in second gear on tickover until the end of the roadworks - my ears were burning for a week. :blush: :blush: :blush:

I had an accelerator pedal break on an old Bedford TM (it was a long time ago) just as I came out
of the Blackwall Tunnel one Friday afternoon.
I rigged up a temporary “hand throttle” by using a length of string tied to the injector pump and led
it through a hole in the cab floor then drove it like that back to Bradford. :open_mouth:

Mate of mine had the throttle cable snap on his motorbike. No problem for my resourcefull chum though. He tied a length of string to the broken end of the cable and wrapped the other end round his wrist and hey presto.

Worked well until he came to his first left hand corner :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Quigg:

Yeah, had exactly the same thing! Didn’t like to say too much about it, but as you’ve brought it up… :wink:
It was about 10 years ago, in a P-plate series 1 FH. The trouble was, i was at a busy crossroads in a filter lane to turn right across traffic, and went for a gap that was just big enough. …at least it would’ve been :blush: I couldn’t work out what had happened at first, foot felt funny and lost all power, but when i eventually kicked my brain into gear and jabbed-around with my foot a bit, i found the stub of the pedal. T’was a bit embarassing though, as it must’ve looked to the chap coming towards me that i’d just pulled across his lane and stopped just to [zb] him off! Made it the 200yards back to base though, and had a similar story to you- about 2-3 days for the part. Accellerometer or summat. I must admit though, i did take it out the next day (I was young, enthusiastic, and slightly mad). Wasn’t too bad, but was glad when the new one was fitted!

newmercman:
3 series Scanias were always doing this, the cab used to rock back & forth to the point where it broke the throttle cable.

I had that too, in Wattisfield on the A143 loaded with beet. Luckily just had the momentum, presence of mind, lack of on-coming traffic, and alcohol fetish to coast into the lay-by outside the pub on the other side of the road :smiley: