Has the fun gone out of driving?

just got a new wagon daf lf. it has adapative cruise control ie car in front slows down I slow down. he speeds up I speed up.some kind of auto emergengcy brake thats suppose stop me if get to close. its automatic no chaninging gears. .also when I drift across the white lines it buzzes and wakes me up lol
my car has auto wipers auto headlights .
is it me or are all these safety aids/features taking the fun out of driving?
making people to reliant on technology god help us when it doesn’t work

edd1974:
just got a new wagon daf lf. it has adapative cruise control ie car in front slows down I slow down. he speeds up I speed up.some kind of auto emergengcy brake thats suppose stop me if get to close. its automatic no chaninging gears. .also when I drift across the white lines it buzzes and wakes me up lol
my car has auto wipers auto headlights .
is it me or are all these safety aids/features taking the fun out of driving?
making people to reliant on technology god help us when it doesn’t work

Personally I do not like all the new electronics but some drivers need help these days. Is it a bad thing if you are stopped getting too close for instance?
Is it a bad thing to be alerted if you drift across into the wrong lane?
As I said some drivers need help

No not at all, well not in my life anyway. And as to all that gadgetry, I turn most of the crap off !!! :laughing: :laughing:

Yes.

if I wanted to technically I could get on m6 going to Scotland get past preston push few buttons and all I have do then is sit there no gear changes no pedal pressing .just sit there for 4 hours watching the scenery go by. which is well and good. but you could get to reliant on it and loose concentration and slowly before you know it your becoming a robot

edd1974:
if I wanted to technically I could get on m6 going to Scotland get past preston push few buttons and all I have do then is sit there no gear changes no pedal pressing .just sit there for 4 hours watching the scenery go by. which is well and good. but you could get to reliant on it and loose concentration and slowly before you know it your becoming a robot

Ha have you not heard the robots are taking over. :laughing:

Traffic must be crap if it takes 4 hours from Preston to Scotland [emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

What we are seeing is the early technology that will eventually lead to full automation.

The lane assist the forward facing radar and adaptive cruise will one day become fully integrated into a system for a driverless truck.

The driver will just attend to the vehicle and be ready to take over for reversing and loading and off loading and the usual pre flight checks.

We have had autopilot on planes for years where the pilot just lands and takes off, we cant be to far away from a system for road vehicles.

mike68:
What we are seeing is the early technology that will eventually lead to full automation.

The lane assist the forward facing radar and adaptive cruise will one day become fully integrated into a system for a driverless truck.

The driver will just attend to the vehicle and be ready to take over for reversing and loading and off loading and the usual pre flight checks.

We have had autopilot on planes for years where the pilot just lands and takes off, we cant be to far away from a system for road vehicles.

Until it snows, covering the sensor and the truck throws a paddy.

That’s a bit of a racist thing to say nowadays, innit. :wink:

peterm:
That’s a bit of a racist thing to say nowadays, innit. :wink:

Just out of interest, are you offended for yourself or on somebody else’s behalf? :grimacing:

mike68:
We have had autopilot on planes for years where the pilot just lands and takes off.

Uh huh :laughing:

Interesting roads and scenery along with good weather will always make for interesting driving…electronics can always be switched off…

mike68:

Iron Mike …

No I don’t think so. In fact I love all this new gadgetry and modern trucks in general. Adaptive cruise control is possibly my favourite feature, such a brilliant piece of tech

switchlogic:
No I don’t think so. In fact I love all this new gadgetry and modern trucks in general. Adaptive cruise control is possibly my favourite feature, such a brilliant piece of tech

ACC I do use in road works. But if I was offered one as an “optional extra”, I wouldn’t part with more than ten pence.
Auto gearboxes? From current experience I’d pay good money to get a manual. (I haven’t driven any of the newer ones so can only go on what I’ve known so far)
EABS? Good idea spoilt by too many false alerts.
Lane departure? False alerts plus doesn’t work on half the roads I use, so again, a good idea that doesn’t actually work well.
“Technology is stuff we have that doesn’t work yet.” [emoji3]
And false alerts and bad gearboxes are sure as hell making my daily drive less enjoyable.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

AndrewG:
Interesting roads and scenery along with good weather will always make for interesting driving…electronics can always be switched off…

At the moment it can be switched off but anyone who believes that will not change is a bit deluded.

There are two puddle jumpers in my yard one auto one 6 speed manual. I prefer the manual and get better fuel economy from it. How are the modern autos , in terms of fuel use.?

edd1974:

or hit the ■■■ end of an AIM lorry

I got day of used have a c.f. more or lesss basically the same apart from stupid gadgets and have noticed am using more fuel compared to my c.f. manual. Although I do keep getting hints on how to save fuel . He don’t brake cruise to a stop. Be Interesting see if anyone gets a good high score I got 70%highest had