Has digital tacho software changed recently?

We took delivery of new MAN TGX’s this week (not impressed so far, as an aside) replacing Volvo FM’s. Now in all the digi tacho trucks i’ve driven up to now, all from 06/07 years, when you cease a driving activity the tacho automatically reverts to other work (crossed hammers). This makes perfect sense to me. Means it pretty much takes care of itself for the day unless you want to set the mode to break.

In the new trucks (same tacho model, Siemens variety) the mode reverts to break when you cease driving. Which means, unless you intervene (or if you forget) the day is scattered with pointless breaks that I doubt will impress anyone scrutinising the tacho’s.

Just wondered if anyone else has observed something similar with newer tacho units, or if it is a fault that could need reporting?

Left as it is, I predict a massive drop in average hours worked recorded under the WTD 26 week average. Which, in my opinion, already does not accurately reflect the drivers workload (to the uninitiated).

I think I am on something like 38 hours worked on paper, and in reality never booking less than 60 hours a week. Often 70. Shows what a nonsense the WTD is.

Thanks for any input.

They can be set to revert to any mode you want. Don’t know if yours are standard or your boss ordered them like it. Been told if you put them on break, when you turn the ignition off, they revert to other work. Maybe man preset them to break to stop it happening

They have just been set up differently, you can get the workshop to set the default mode. It may be worth highlighting this to your employer so they can take action on it. There is an update due though which will address the rounding issues, although one of the gurus will know more about it than I.

Good info, didn’t know it was configurable. I’ll flag it up.

Thanks chaps. :slight_smile:

They can be set to default to “other work” but as you probably realise it has to go into the tachograph centre to be done it’s not something that can be done in your workshop, well not unless you have qualified tachograph engineers there anyway :wink:

I’m not sure about this but I believe the cost is about £80 per vehicle.

tofer:
There is an update due though which will address the rounding issues

The new software will come into operation in October this year according to geebee45 in this post

tachograph:
They can be set to default to “other work” but as you probably realise it has to go into the tachograph centre to be done it’s not something that can be done in your workshop, well not unless you have qualified tachograph engineers there anyway :wink:

Thanks for clarifying mate, by workshop I meant tacho centre, I forget some depots are priviledged and have VMUs.

some of ours go to other work some to break

bjd:
some of ours go to other work some to break

Nother thing with digis why do they put them in stubid places like abover your head surley they would be better on the dash so your could check your times when driving

tofer:

tachograph:

Thanks for clarifying mate, by workshop I meant tacho centre

I know but thought it was worth clarifying just in case anyone misunderstood :wink:

tachograph:

Takes about 10 mins and we used to charge it as such, maximum of 0.5 hours labour at £57.50 per hour.

How stupid is it that they don’t show ■■■■■■■■■■ driving time total for the current day on the main screen while your driving? Opportunity missed big time. The amount of paper that must get wasted on pointless printouts and drivers pouring over them whilst doing their sums… :unamused:

That would have been a nice feature. It could go on the screen with current spread and fortnightly total. Heard you getting some mentions on the old R2 traffic the other day silver_surfer

Silver_Surfer:
How stupid is it that they don’t show ■■■■■■■■■■ driving time total for the current day on the main screen while your driving? Opportunity missed big time. The amount of paper that must get wasted on pointless printouts and drivers pouring over them whilst doing their sums… :unamused:

No need to print. Just use ‘display’ instead…all the info is there.

I agree about the screen though. All the info shown whilst driving is elsewhere on the dash already. Pointless.