Has anyone used these ? www.aclass-hgv.co.uk

does anyone have any experience with this company please ?

aclass-hgv.co.uk

Not seen anything about them on here but the person who wrote this bit has not got it right … :laughing:

Category C1 allows the holder to drive a large goods vehicle with a maximum authorised mass (gross vehicle weight) of up to 7,500 kilograms (16,535 lb) with a trailer up a maximum authorised mass of up to 750 kilograms (1,653 lb). This licence can be obtained at 18 years of age and is the replacement for the HGV Class 3 in the UK, the old HGV Class 3 being any two- axle goods vehicle over 7,500 kilograms (16,535 lb).

How can LGV C1 being a vehicle not more that 7500 be a replacement for vehicles over 7500 ■■?

PS - I searched and found this = viewtopic.php?f=5&t=90050&p=1277788

Was there ever a class 3? I’ve heard it mentioned once or twice but only in a historical sense (unlike classes 1 & 2 which are commonly used by employers.

IndigoJo:
Was there ever a class 3? I’ve heard it mentioned once or twice but only in a historical sense (unlike classes 1 & 2 which are commonly used by employers.

When HGV testing was first introduced in the UK in the 70s there was classes 1, 2, 3 and 4, plus each class had a further “A” class for automatic vehicles.

Oh that’s interesting. So today’s 18-tonners would be class 3, while bigger rigids would be class 2 (unless double wheels, as usually found on the back axle, counted as two wheels rather than one).

OLD HGV CLASSES which were scrapped in early 1990s
3 = rigids over 7.5 tonnes GVW with no more than 2 axles
2 = rigids over 7.5 tonnes with more than 2 axles
1 = artics

LGV C replaced both 2 & 3
LGV C+E replaced 1

W&DS were included within HGV 2 & 3 but are now in C+E

Dunno if the old 7.5 tonner has an old HGV class but that is now LGV C1

So did you have a separate test for classes 2 & 3? Seems a bit pointless as manoeuvring a 26-tonne truck isn’t that much different from an 18-tonne.

IndigoJo:
So did you have a separate test for classes 2 & 3? Seems a bit pointless as manoeuvring a 26-tonne truck isn’t that much different from an 18-tonne.

Yes there were separate tests for each class, but you didn’t have to do the tests for each class as you do now, for instance, like a lot of other drivers I went straight from a car licence to class 1, I never did a test in a rigid at-all.

I did my class 3 in a 4 wheeler & couldn’t drive 6 (3axles)or 8 (4 axles) wheelers. Silly really, but when I got my class 1, I could drive anything.
It was just a money making exercise, a bit like the DCPC now, why make experienced drivers PAY for 35 hours of schooling when they’ve been doing the Bloody Job for 20/30 years.
(Oh let me think ! MONEY)

I did my class 2 in a very small 3 axle Bedford tk. Most class 3,s where bigger at the time. Bit of a joke really.