Has anyone got dvsa's number

I’ve had a disagreement with management re load security. Basically it’s a full load of washing machines double stacked. They cannot be ratcheted as it damages the casing. On a curtainsider. With a gap so the internals and webbing dont touch the load. I’ve been told by management that it is secure as it has webbing and internals and a load bearing curtain, but my argument is that it’s not secure as nothing is holding them in place.

Office of traffic commissioner any good ? , eastbrook , Shaftesbury road , Cambridge , CB2 8bf tel 01233 531020
Or you could email - Lesley . Jamieson@otc.gsi. Gov .uk she’s something to do with secatary of state , think there in with DVsa
Nb please don’t mention my name

the net inside the curtain will be a load bearing one, have a read of this and see if this refers too anything your trailers have hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr662.pdf
on xl marked trailers the load must be within a certain distance (cant remember the measurment but it’s in millimeters) of the curtains to be secure.
gov.uk/government/publicati … r-guidance
the last link should answer your question

The load must fit the entire length and width of the load area to the front, rear, and within 80mm of the curtains at each side. Lateral bulkheads or packing material can be used to fill gaps in the load to ensure a ‘positive fit’ overall.

If I was the management, that had paid out for load bearing curtains and internal nets, I’d gladly transfer it into a boxvan for you. Provided you’re happy to handball them into position and off the other end :unamused:

scotstrucker:
the net inside the curtain will be a load bearing one, have a read of this and see if this refers too anything your trailers have hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr662.pdf
on xl marked trailers the load must be within a certain distance (cant remember the measurment but it’s in millimeters) of the curtains to be secure.
the last link should answer your question

Surely point 2.4 means I’m right?

OVLOV JAY:
If I was the management, that had paid out for load bearing curtains and internal nets, I’d gladly transfer it into a boxvan for you. Provided you’re happy to handball them into position and off the other end :unamused:

What is your point? I just want to cover my own arse.

$$$:

OVLOV JAY:

My point is if you don’t want to take a load with webbing and load bearing curtains, and it can’t be ratchet strapped, you’ll have to take it in a box

OVLOV JAY:

$$$:

OVLOV JAY:

My point is if you don’t want to take a load with webbing and load bearing curtains, and it can’t be ratchet strapped, you’ll have to take it in a box

Which is what I asked for. Answer was no.

There is surprisingly, one current concession. Provided that a curtainsider has both curtains and roof-mounted nets that are tapered in toward the top (so that it touches and applies inward pressure on the load) and that the combined strength of both curtain and nets retains a minimum 50% of the load weight, this is considered compliant. This method is known as “positive fit” and known to many in the brewery industry as a “Load-Hugger”

donbur.co.uk/news/vosa-compl … -restraint

I think that proves I’m right.

$$$:
I’ve had a disagreement with management re load security. Basically it’s a full load of washing machines double stacked. They cannot be ratcheted as it damages the casing. On a curtainsider. With a gap so the internals and webbing dont touch the load. I’ve been told by management that it is secure as it has webbing and internals and a load bearing curtain, but my argument is that it’s not secure as nothing is holding them in place.

If they can be stacked you can just put an empty upside down pallet on top of each stack and lightly ratchet them down. The ratchets wont touch the casings and the pallet spreads the clamping force. Moved plenty of loads this way.

When’s a double stacked washing machine going come through a normal curtain?

Own Account Driver:

Unfortunately, load securing isn’t just about whether the load will come through the curtain. If the vehicle/trailer isn’t built to the XL standard, it’s physical construction will be relatively weak. This means if the load weight is applied to the curtains, the whole structure is likely to give way.

Of course driven correctly, it wouldn’t be a problem, but if an emergency swerve or brake was to be required - that’s when the problems will occur, and unfortunately it is extremely difficult to avoid idiotic drivers on today’s roads.

Double stacked washing machines would be fine in a ‘Euroliner’ with internal boards or even a true curtainsider made to the XL standard as long as the load is a positive fit with no side to side gap greater than 80mm.

Anyone else…

Ever do Zanussi washing machines (two high) under sheets off Southampton docks in the 80s?

In my opinion you should be ringing 999 about this type of behaviour. :wink:

Big burner:

$$$:

If they can be stacked you can just put an empty upside down pallet on top of each stack and lightly ratchet them down. The ratchets wont touch the casings and the pallet spreads the clamping force. Moved plenty of loads this way.

Don’t you come on here with your knowledge, sense and can-do attitude.

How can he whinge and moan like a fud when you bring simple solutions that work to the table?

A.

As was explained to me, the load bearing trailers should be able to contain the load in the event of a rollover. Basically, if they have to pick the thing up, they won’t have to recover the load from the ditch! That’s why bulkhead, roof, etc. are all reinforced.

As explained above, there are rules to loading, positive fit etc. so as long as your washing machines arent going to fall over inside the trailer, it shouldn’t be a problem.

shep532:

Own Account Driver:

Unfortunately, load securing isn’t just about whether the load will come through the curtain. If the vehicle/trailer isn’t built to the XL standard, it’s physical construction will be relatively weak. This means if the load weight is applied to the curtains, the whole structure is likely to give way.

Of course driven correctly, it wouldn’t be a problem, but if an emergency swerve or brake was to be required - that’s when the problems will occur, and unfortunately it is extremely difficult to avoid idiotic drivers on today’s roads.

Double stacked washing machines would be fine in a ‘Euroliner’ with internal boards or even a true curtainsider made to the XL standard as long as the load is a positive fit with no side to side gap greater than 80mm.

It’s just a load of nonsense for a problem that never existed and another thing for mitherers to flap their gums about.

XL trailers do not hold the load or allow the trailer to be righted, with even a very light load in situ, in the event of a rollover.

Own Account Driver:
XL trailers do not hold the load or allow the trailer to be righted, with even a very light load in situ, in the event of a rollover.

Sorry but that’s exactly what they’re designed to be able to do, that is the whole point of them.

yourhavingalarf:
Anyone else…

Ever do Zanussi washing machines (two high) under sheets off Southampton docks in the 80s?

Yep. Nicely secured with strong aluminium corner boards and ratchet straps under the one-piece sheets.
That would work well as a load restraint inside a tautliner too. (Provided the corner boards don`t fall off and decapitate someone).