Has anybody failed their test twice or more?

I failed my test twice now class c, and finding it hard to go a third time any advice?? thanks

CHAMPS2009:
I failed my test twice now class c, and finding it hard to go a third time any advice?? thanks

do better than the other 2 times :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink: :laughing:

You KNOW now that it is down to you and not the training or you would be giving your instructor hell :exclamation: You KNOW why you did not pass the other 2 tests and it is for you to look at yourself and, for want of something better, to self analyse and put right.
IF it is down to nerves then only you can cure that by adopting a different frame of mind - not easy as others will tell you.

I passed my Class 2 on the 5th go if I remember correctly. After failing twice…I left it for a few months as my confidence took a git of a knock. It was the worst thing I could have done I think. Keep at it…you’ll pass eventually. I appreciate that at the time it’s a daunting experience and can be a real up-hill struggle for many. Initially, during the first couple of goes…I knew that i needed to be lucky to pass. But as time went on…with more lessons, I felt that I was becoming a better driver and that I was getting there. In the end, I knew I was good enough and as long as things went allright on the day, I would pass. Incidentally, I changed driving school after my second failure. The new lorry I then trained on had differnt gears…a range change gear box. It was like started from the beginning again.

I passed my Class 1 on the second attempt. For me, it was difficult. But I kept at it and now I am glad I did. You’ll get there in the end. Best wishes. (I was going to say ‘Good luck’…but I don’t think it’s luck. You will become good enough eventually. It just takes longer for some than others).

I will add that I can remember when I went into the testing station in the wagon after having a lesson just before my test…I was told to reverse back a little to park. I started retching…I was so worked up. I couldn’t do it. I look back at it and laught. I’ve been there. Keep calm and remember, you WILL get there. :slight_smile:

CHAMPS2009:

Keep at it. It took me 3 goes for class 1, was tempted to jack it after 2nd failure, but realised would regret it if I did. Good luck next time

My C&E licence needed five attempts.

I had a couple of years gap between goes four and five whilst I sorted the rest of my life out, then went again and nailed it.

Like Rog says, you know whats going wrong, and if its what you want you can fix it.

Thanks guy’s nice to hear all your stories, i keep hearing how people passed 1st time with no problems!

CHAMPS2009:
Thanks guy’s nice to hear all your stories, i keep hearing how people passed 1st time with no problems!

I guess that was me, although I still had my problems and as many will say there is an element of ‘luck’ on test day ! It really is down to how other traffic react to your ‘presence’ and what you meet and how you react to other road users, particularly on roundabouts ! Keep in there and good luck to you ! I’d be so bold to suggest the mere fact that you are here posing the question probably means you ARE capable, positive thinking and stay with it.

:slight_smile:

You only have to pass once.
Sometimes its the first time sometimes its the sixth time.
Failing a test does not automatically make you a bad driver.
I have seen excellent drivers fail and really bad drivers scrape through.
Ask any instructor and we will all tell you that we have seen our prize pupils go down while a real poor driver walks away with a pass slip.
There sometimes seems no justice, but it is that one hour on the road that makes the diference.
Dont worry and keep positive for the next time.

I took my car test in a truck & failed ,then I passed in a car. I never took an HGV test…Hope tthis helps… :blush:

I’ve taken 1 car test, 3 rigid tests, and 2 artic tests in my driving career. And I’m 4/6 so far.
Ok, that’s car, rigid plus retest, and artic in the UK, US rigid (passed), plus Canadian artic (failed). Some people are better at passing tests than others. And even if the rest of your test is perfect, some muppet can come piling along at warp 9 and spoil it all in seconds. You can’t control the morons on the road, you can only drive as well as possible in the circumstances.

it took me 3 attempts to get my class 2 and 4 attempts to get my class one so you are in no way alone in this? I found nerves got in the way and after some excellent advice on here took rescue remedy and it helps! Just try and relax,i know its easy for us to say! The feeling you will have when you pass is amazing!

dunno if i’m just one of the lucky ones but passed my car n class 2 including theory tests 1st time…i swear by a can of red bull beforehand.

dont give up :smiley:

Ever considered that the people who sail through first time may end up worse drivers than those who have to work harder at it? Some people who pass first time get this overconfidence and feeling that they know it all. If you have to fight and struggle for it, it would seem to me that it will be a far more valuable thing to have got.
I may have passed my artic test first time, but the (5 year) struggle to get the money, the 2 hours of commuting to the driving school didn’t make it feel that easy.
A couple of years of rigid driving gave me some confidence in handling wagons and gearboxes, which helped somewhat. But I also had to get round all those bad habits I’d learned to drive to test standards. Swings and roundabouts eh?

Ever considered that the people who sail through first time may end up worse drivers

I hope not :exclamation: :exclamation:

Get yourself in for a retest as soon as possible.
Don’t dwell on it.

Good luck.

Car - ist time
Rigid - 2nd attempt
Artic 1st time

Almost a treble but not quite. I know loads of people who passed both tests first time but also loads who failed either one or the other or both on multiple occasions. The poor sod i was crewed up with over 2 years ago when i passed my class2 still hasn’t passed. God only knows how many attempts he has had now! I feel for him. Its a bloody expensive game if you are financing it yourself and its no laughing matter. I think its good to look at in a positive way though and think how much more its valued when its been harder to achieve. There are so many variables and things that can happen on test day its wonder any bugger passes really. Im glad i have mine in the bag now and don’t have to suffer anymore of it. The four tests ive had will do me thank you very much i have no intentions of taking anymore, ever.
Most of us can drive perfectly well, but its all about testland on that day for those couple of hours. Good luck keep your chins up and keep going at it. :slight_smile:

yeah i passed my class 2 third time lucky, may car test was also third time lucky (lets hope the pattern changes to first time lucky for upcoming artic test)

with me it was all about nerves, i think if you can crack that its in the bag. It doesnt help though when in the back of your mind you know that if you fail its best part of another £200 you’ve gotta find. Just see each test as a bit more learning under your belt. By the time my third test came round i was more ■■■■■■ off than nervous so that dealt with the nerves.

also just keep lookin at the bigger picture - tbh id forgotten it took me 3 goes till’ i read your post. Once you have your license you can forget all bout it.

good luck

allikat:
A couple of years of rigid driving gave me some confidence in handling wagons and gearboxes, which helped somewhat. But I also had to get round all those bad habits I’d learned to drive to test standards. Swings and roundabouts eh?

yeah i got my class 1 course in june and right now in my class 2 job im trying to cut out all the bad habits so its all natural come june. Such things as not crossing hands over s/wheel and putting the handbrake on BEFORE going into neutral.

Do you actually get a minor point for crossing hands?

Do you actually get a minor point for crossing hands?

NO - it is not a ‘fault’ BUT you are expected to be in full control at all times.

I know your pain mate, as I’m sure many do -

I took my C in cardiff a few months ago and passed first time, I also passed my car test and both theory tests first time.

But, I’ve been trying to get my c+e in the last few months and I haven’t got a clue what I’m doing wrong. Both instructors who’ve taken me for tests were very pleased with the way I was driving and were very much of the opinion it was “in the bag”

I’ve taken three c+e tests now, the first two I failed on really petty faults - the second I got 4 minors and the instructor was well and truly impressed with the reverse - you’d’ve thought they’d look at the “bigger picture” and think, well actually - this guy’s a good driver, I think he deserves to pass. (but they don’t). The third test, I made a mess of, fair and square.

But yeah, honestly, I feel just the same as you; I feel like I’ve done about my best and about as good as anyone can - so how the hell am I ever gonna pass!? Gotta keep trying though, I’ve invested too much money to give up now :confused:

Sorry mate, I’d love to offer you some re-assurance but I’m in need of some myself, I hope it’s of some comfort that you’re not alone. it’ll come mate and in the meantime do the same as me - hope the extra training will hellp when you’re doing it for a living - it’s expensive but you’ll get there. If you work in out, the license will pay for itself pretty quick :slight_smile: