Harwich docks -drive on the left

Driving out of harwich docks yesteday morning and went past those signs that tell you what speed your meant to do and which side of the road your to drive on and it got me thinking.

Has anyone on here ever been greeted by a 44 ton truck driving on the right hand side of the road coming straight towards them on the way to the docks :question: :question: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

What language were the signs as many cannot read English :question:

I work out of harwich a lot, which has about 10 miles of single carrageway before you get there, i had one once but he was over taking a morrisons wagon :smiling_imp: obverlsley got bored of driving at 38mph luckly i was in my car and there was a layby i could dive in otherwise i would been his new emblem on his truck.

Not had one yet actually driving up wrong side but i wait cause 1 day there will…

ROG:

at harwich theres about 3-4 diffrent languages, im guessing Dutch, Danish, and either german or french but not sure 100% sure as i only speak english :laughing:

ROG:

4 i think…but if they busy on phone, on the lap top (i’m joking :wink: ) they might miss the signs and drive naturally on the right…until they see someone coming towards them :exclamation: , take as hariwch for example the one i’m refering to, it is single carriageway for a fair few miles from the docks and has some long sweeping bends.

EDIT: just wondered if these are preventive measures to avoid such a thing ever happening or is it is a big problem sometimes :exclamation: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: personally never come across one yet…

I’ve had a Dutch-registered car coming at me on the wrong side of the road in Ramsgate. I stopped, they realised their mistake, I wagged my finger at them and they laughed and looked suitably chastened.

i just got back from a weeks holiday in holland, last thursday :smiley:

got on fine driving over there with the aid of my arrow on the dash

got a 7.5 tonne job on the friday on the recyling bins, driving on left then right then left then right etc etc

how confused was i :smiley:

mind you dont think my two loaders would have noticed if i had run the wrong way up the M8 :confused: they were nuts

ps where can you get a plastic screen for a mitsibushi canter to protect the driver like they have on the buses :laughing:

i used to load out of a freight forwarder on an industrial estate round the back of Ford factory in Dagenham.

Came out one day and saw a car transporter coming towards me on the wrong side of the road :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

It was only as we passed on the wrong side of each other (after he moved over!) that I realised it was ME that was wrong
:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

pecjam23:
Has anyone on here ever been greeted by a 44 ton truck driving on the right hand side of the road coming straight towards them on the way to the docks :question: :question: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Yes, about 2 years ago after tipping at Focus DIY in harwich, scared the **** out of me, Dutch nutter! :smiley:

They have these signs at airports too.