Harris&Miners

Hi,I drove for Brian Harris in the 70s,wen it was Harris & miners,& brian"s Father Jerry was in charge. As ive just passed my class 3 at the age of 21yrs old,I started on a Leyland Comet 4 wheeler with s/boards. Mostly away on sunday"s either N/east runs,or Scotch runs.I found Brian to be a fair Boss,as long as you did what you were told to do.
I then went on to a Ford D1000 perkins V8,Then i had a new Dodge commando 4 wheeler.
I worked for Brian for 10yrs,then went owner driver.
over the years Brian Brought out all the Miners shares,& started as Brian Harris Transport,WF Miners of Ashburton, were Related to brian.
In the end Brian sold up & sold all the vehicles,But kept his hand in loading vehicles back,& keeping his mind on the transport scene.
Brian became very ill,& suddenly passed away.
Sumtimes i passed the yard in Bovey Tracey,& think back the good old times.
i enjoyed myself working for Harris & Miners,& gaining my experiences with in the Transport industry
Norman croad,Torquay.

The nice end to the tale is that he and Mr Miners are buried next to each other in Widdicombe Churchyard. I often think about the conversations they must have.

David

Here is a pic of a Brian Harris RoadTrain (not my pic)
This is a lovely truck livery perfect.
I have always thought they were the Best Leyland since the 1968 Beavers.

Hi scotnat,Billy Baty used to drive that…Had a 290 ■■■■■■■■
we were mates when i worked there.
Norman Croad,Torquay.

One for Norman

This fine thread has never got away like I imagined it might, there must be umpteen photos of both H & M and Brian’s motors so come on Norm (6LX) get motivated and one or two others likewise may get involved eh! Cheers Dennis.

pete smith:
One for Norman

I wonder what reg/year this motor was probably had the 180 ■■■■■■■ engine under the bonnet. Nice shot though Pete. Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis,
Just found this one on E-bay, not an original motor of Brian’s as this used to parked in same yard as I parked my motors, 200yds from John Leddingtons!, it was used to tow scraper boxes to sites,Cheer’s Pete ps. Just looked at Henry Long thread and the same motor turns up! its had more snips and tucks than Cher!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393264944.373000.jpg

$_58.JPG

pete smith:
Hi Dennis,
Just found this one on E-bay, not an original motor of Brian’s as this used to parked in same yard as I parked my motors, 200yds from John Leddingtons!, it was used to tow scraper boxes to sites,Cheer’s Pete ps. Just looked at Henry Long thread and the same motor turns up! its had more snips and tucks than Cher!

Thanks for that Pete, looks a bit “taters” when that shot was taken Brrrrrrrr!! Cheers Dennis.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Bewick:
This fine thread has never got away like I imagined it might, there must be umpteen photos of both H & M and Brian’s motors so come on Norm (6LX) get motivated and one or two others likewise may get involved eh! Cheers Dennis.

image.jpeg

A few more to add to this thread transportphotos.com/road/photos

CZC00182-08.jpg
JLC00034-03.jpg
JLC00271-01.jpg
JLC00283-13.jpg

image.jpeg
image.jpegv
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Bewick:

Well at least it awakened the site even if we have to put up with the “infantile” contributions from Danl’ but whatever “floats your boat” I suppose :laughing: :laughing: at least he has posted some shots of this great long gone firm even if his “Dyslexia” allowed him to include a firm that only contained one half of the Harris & Miners name never mind having ■■■■ all to do with the name Harris, it wouldn’t be so bad if those Big J 4 wheelers could hold a candle to my old mate Brian’s fleet! but I suppose it is a small price to pay to “kick start” this great thread ! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Bewick.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Unless it’s my eyes this lorry appears to be bigger than a day cab but less than a sleeper .