Hargreaves

Has anyone noticed how " most" Hargreaves drivers never look remotely happy and are always in a mad rush,also they seldom seem to look after/care about their kit. They have tried to muscle in around our area ,it seems without much success, are they really that bad! I must admit the lads I’ve spoken too haven’t had a good word to say about them,can they really be THAT bad?

I’ve spoken to the driver who has OZZIE on a number plate on the front of his FM, he’s a sound lad. They seem to look quite miserable when driving down the road but the majority of them are quite sound.

I s’pose it depends on which area theyre in, around here theyre dashing around trying to get their 3 loads a day to drax (job & knock) as its a 24/7 opperation.
My pet hate with them is they park on the pavements while stopping at the shop/chippy/butty shop, causing damage & blocking traffic. While they could have easily have parked more purposely & safely around the corner. They also forget to switch off their hazard flashers/beacons despite having left site 5-30 mins previously, they also seem to have a high number of minor defects that never seem to get fixed, I passed 1 rig locally whos side underun bars where hanging off. Though 1 guy I know did get sacked because his eye sight was worse then Mr Magoos, and the amount of damage he caused was embarrassing. A mate was their lead driver (longest serving) at my local depot until recently, so I used to hear some of the things that happened

When I have spoken to the lads ,they themselves have seemed to be good lads but like I say none of them have an ounce of respect for their employers,yes I know most drivers can moan but there’s always somebody who defends or “likes” what they do , but I’ve yet to find one !

peirre:
around here they`re dashing around trying to get their 3 loads a day to drax

Wouldn’t that be enough to make most of us suicidal? I did a stint for Alford Traffic doing 3 Drax’s a day from Immingham Dock or 4 from Hull Dock and it drove me up the wall. Drax, what a ball ache of a place to go in to, especially 3 or 4 times a day.

Most drivers are miserable anyway in my experience…

I worked for them for 3 and half years,on a walking floor and I can safely say it’s THE worst job I’ve ever had !!!.The transport managers are on bonus so straight away your flat out,they will employ literally anyone with a licence ,in a nutshell everything that’s bad/wrong with transport happens there horrendous !!!

They ruined a very good company when they bought Imperial Tankers out.

I work for hargreaves ( site work sis redcar) we move the coke from the coke ovens at southbank to the blast furnace at redcar all on site I do have class1 I worked for Bulmers based on Teesside before this job before they went bust a few years ago , I can only speak for hargreaves on this job but I find them ok to work for they have just bought 4 new scanias 440 g cabs and tipper trailers at a cost of a million pounds there not of the shelve scanias or trailers as there plated at 80 tons as we carry 53 tons of coal and 34tons of coke ( net weights) as you can imagine it is a very dirty job but we take very good care of our kit , but we have no quoters placed on us we are expected to do what we can SAFELY , safety been what it’s all about on this site

Croxden quarry to Manchester got axed by over £2 per tonne was there any Need for that ?

I don’t know if that’s directed at me if it is I wouldn’t know about that , I’m just giving my experience of working for hargreaves at sbco I’ve no clue about how they operate else where

Not at you sizer,on a different note iam quite interested in the coke making process there are some good vids on youtube from the 2 monctons and the avenue plants ,I’ve seen them at shafton doing a push quench and refill.

You only have to look at the subbies they have they run old trucks
A couple of lads I no who have newish trucks & trailer packed in with them because
They couldn’t make it pay

The coke ovens are an engineering marvel Dan I agree , the coke oven at south bank is geared to only produce blast furnace coke ssi are looking to see if it’s able to produce coke for the domestic market as there free of a contract that was struck when ssi bought the ovens off Tata steel which was to provide coke at cost for there port Talbot operation, if the ovens are able to produce domestic grade coke it will be a gold mine as its impossible to get a license now to build coke ovens due to there emissions being so bad , and also hargreaves are hoping it is possible as they own 40per cent of the wharf at teesport which would keep us busy !

Blast furnace / foundry coke that must be the larger lumps that were produced down at cwm?

Yes mate bigger the better for blast furnace

the maoster:

Very true Maoster, I’m afraid ITL is going to ‘Hell in a hand cart’

mizzo:

the maoster:

Yeah, I had 15 good years on for them when it was a cracking place to work. Still regularly talk to a lot of the guys there and it aint a happy ship.

the maoster:

mizzo:

the maoster:

Yeah, I had 15 good years on for them when it was a cracking place to work. Still regularly talk to a lot of the guys there and it aint a happy ship.

Yes, so true mate, I’ve been there 14 years and for the first 7 it was the best place to work without a doubt. (P.S, we know each other)

mizzo:
. (P.S, we know each other)

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: . Now you’ve got me thinking! Just in case; “sorry mate, I’ve got the money I owe you here”. Or alternatively “jeez mate I’m really sorry, but she never mentioned being married!”

There, that’s all the bases covered. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: