Hardest 2 days in ages

I’m overwhelmed by the last 2 days work, not that it compares to what some have to do in a day here but my my standards.
Started at 4.00am monday, bobtailed to Albany and hooked to an empty and freshly cleaned dry bulk tanker, down to Yonkers, drop and hook to a liquid tank, load and deliver Bordentown NJ. Empty to Newark DE, drop and collect clean tanker, empty to the Fling J in Carneys Pt NJ for the night. A shower followed by Fish and chips which by the way sucked. Met a geezer fro Worcester (UK) at the fuel desk, he drove for a company out of Iowa. Woke up at 05.00am, coffee and left at 05.30 for 10 miles up the road to Bridgeport, drop and hook to a full one for Ben & Jerry’s in Waterbury VT. I hit the worst traffic jam on earth from Newark airport to the cross Bronx which took care of 3 hours. I made it home after 13.5 hours and 538 miles.
Down to Albany for a service tomaorrow.

It took you 2 days to do that, lazy ■■■■■■■

I am here: tapatalk.com/map.php?in11w2
It’s not theirs anymore,
This is our England now.
Paaaaarrrrrrttttttttyyyyyyyy

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
It took you 2 days to do that, lazy [zb]

I am here: tapatalk.com/map.php?in11w2
It’s not theirs anymore,
This is our England now.
Paaaaarrrrrrttttttttyyyyyyyy

The total miles for the 2 days was actually 994.
And when you consider the loading time, offloading times and time spent in traffic jams it aint bad, and as I normally average only 1700 miles a week thats a tough 2 days.

I bet you have more than a 180 Gardner and a David Brown box though Pat.
LOL. Mark

Ha ha … I can remember Diesel Dan’s 180 Gardener :laughing:
Mine has DD13 under the hood (450BHP) and a Fuller 10 speed (Roadranger which became virtually obsolete in the UK by the 90’s).

Pat. I have read stories that back in the day,guys would gear their rigs to run at 100 mph and do coast to coast in 3 days. Dont know if thats a total myth or not.
Mark

OK,so my week started at 0615 on Sunday.hook and pre trip the new Kenworth and empty Nitrogen trailer in Regina SK,load for two drops local and two in Saskatoon.reload in Regina then overnight in Moosomin SK.Two drops into Brandon MB and a dump out in Virden MB before another reload in Regina,drop and overnight in Weyburn SK.Following morning dump out in Assiniboia SK,reload Regina for two different drops in Brandon and night out in Moosomin again.Final day saw another reload in Regina for Assiniboia,wash the truck and trailer,back home by 5 pm for another 4 days off with 3000kms under the belt,smiley faces for me :smiley: :smiley:

Pat Hasler:
Mine has DD13 under the hood (450BHP) and a Fuller 10 speed (Roadranger which became virtually obsolete in the UK by the 90’s).

hi pat,
and it had a roadranger gearbox, :laughing: you may scoff at my 180 bhp gardner but it used to FLY by you up wrotham hill, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: from the m26 turn off it only took me 45 mins to get to the top of the hill, like to see you better that in your volvo :smiley: happy days eh,
cheers diesel

diesel dan:

Pat Hasler:

hi pat,
and it had a roadranger gearbox, :laughing: you may scoff at my 180 bhp gardner but it used to FLY by you up wrotham hill, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: from the m26 turn off it only took me 45 mins to get to the top of the hill, like to see you better that in your volvo :smiley: happy days eh,
cheers diesel

Ha ha … you flew by me because you had 3 parcels in the trailer and I had 21 tons of glass :laughing:

pursy:
Pat. I have read stories that back in the day,guys would gear their rigs to run at 100 mph and do coast to coast in 3 days. Dont know if thats a total myth or not.
Mark

i think that may be a myth mate :laughing:
I once did a tem trip leaving my home saturday morning, load Syracus NY to Salt Lake city, empty to Las Vegas, load and deliver Portland OR, reload and deliver Hartford CT and it took 8 days round trip but that was two drivers remember.

Still only did 1700 miles all week after all that :open_mouth:
Weds I ran down to Albany NY (80 miles) all day service with brake replacement and front tyres, then down to NYC for the night, I didn’t reload till noon thurs and delivered Hanover PA, returning empty to NYC for 10 hours off. All I did friday was preload 3 tanks and bobtail home 230 miles.

Pat Hasler:

pursy:
Mark

i think that may be a myth mate :laughing:
I once did a tem trip leaving my home saturday morning, load Syracus NY to Salt Lake city, empty to Las Vegas, load and deliver Portland OR, reload and deliver Hartford CT and it took 8 days round trip but that was two drivers remember.

From what I heard the 100 mph bit is conservative.But the 3 day runs coast to coast would probably be possible with those type of speeds by comparing car runs which have done it in around 36 hours.

online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 … 78014.html

That would have to be 36 hours non stop and flat out with driver changes on the way.
The quickest I did it alone was not all the way but to compare I had been out to Vegas and reloaded in Tuscon AZ and El Paso, from there to NYC took me 3 days and El Paso is at over a day from LA.

Pat Hasler:
That would have to be 36 hours non stop and flat out with driver changes on the way.
The quickest I did it alone was not all the way but to compare I had been out to Vegas and reloaded in Tuscon AZ and El Paso, from there to NYC took me 3 days and El Paso is at over a day from LA.

I think it’s probably more a case of whatever anyone says,about what was going on over there during the 1970’s,is probably more likely to be an understatement than the actual reality :open_mouth: :smiley: .

Knowing the speed and fuel consumption of a V 12 Jag,when it’s running at a decent rate of knots,you can bet that run made by the XJS involved plenty of fuel stops,even if it had a bath sized tank to hold some extra fuel put in the boot :laughing:,and time to stop for a hamburger or two.So a truck that can run at around the ton + probably wouldn’t be that far behind but with the advantage of (a lot) less fuel stops needed and time for some sleep within a 3 day time scale.But you can probably bet that they weren’t using an 11 hour driving time limit let alone a 9-10 hour one. :wink:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannonball … rophy_Dash

The east/west coast turnarounds are not just hyperbole, they happened, but not so much due to velocity, more to do with the amount of pills the drivers popped :open_mouth:

My week has been a bit of a rollercoaster to say the least. I went from the yard to Alberta, where I tipped and then reloaded for California, on the way down I had a 36hr reset in Vegas and got on the ■■■■ with 4 British mates who all live and work in Canada, nothing more to add, as what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas :laughing: I unloaded in LA, Monday lunchtime and then reloaded just around the corner, but had 9hrs between the two, so by the time I was ready to leave the log book was full, so a night in LA, left Tuesday am, but only got as far as Salt Lake City where an Actuator went ■■■■ up and caused a rocker shaft to break, this fell into the engine and the camshaft smashed it into the head, result, a cracked head and the cam was wiped out. Spent two days there and left with a $4,000 bill, new rockers, new camshaft and a head with a crack still in it, I got going again as far as the top of Montana, got into Canada Friday lunchtime, dropped and swapped in Lethbridge, Alberta, for a trailer going to Winnipeg and then made it to Regina for the night, after a visit to Starbucks, I left Saturday am and walked through my front door at 7:30pm, just in time for my birthday party that started at 8:00pm, got totally pickled and went to bed at 5:00am, woke up today with not a trace of a hangover, ding dong :laughing:

A few days off now while they fix up the mighty Pete :wink:

Enjoy your days off mate :sunglasses: