Hard hats on docks

this is why they make you wear a hard hat while they load/unload containers
youtube.com/watch?v=Bw4tlrYH … ure=fvwrel

Rite…i dont think a hard hat is going to save your life if a container drops on your head.H&S gone mad as ever…makes me laugh when you see the gaffers walking round an opencast or quarry 3 miles accross wots going to drop on your head ? bird ■■■■ ?

Take more than a lump hammer to get those doors open

Santa:
Take more than a lump hammer to get those doors open

I don’t know santa. park that on hilton park service area some rat will get in and have a root round while your
sleeping.

not wanting to seem clever , but has anybody else wondered why the stacker truck driver didnt lower it asap instead of keeping suspended and all the strain on the one corner ? i would of thought that was the obvious thing to do ?

ricardo62:
not wanting to seem clever , but has anybody else wondered why the stacker truck driver didnt lower it asap instead of keeping suspended and all the strain on the one corner ? i would of thought that was the obvious thing to do ?

Probably busy sorting out some clean Y-fronts :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

shytalk:
Rite…i dont think a hard hat is going to save your life if a container drops on your head.H&S gone mad as ever…makes me laugh when you see the gaffers walking round an opencast or quarry 3 miles accross wots going to drop on your head ? bird [zb] ?

Or a certain builders merchant that insists on you wearing a hard hat when 12 foot up in the air, on a top seat crane, yet let’s customers walk around the yard, and sometimes by your crane when you swinging a 1 tonne pack around, with impunity.

Ken.

in the ports and container storage yards, they usually make you wear a hard hat because if the container has been sat on loose stones, they stick to the underside of the container, and can fall off at any time, if they hit you on the head, they will not kill you, but they would certainly hurt :wink:

scanny77:
this is why they make you wear a hard hat while they load/unload containershttp://www.youtube.com/watch? … ure=fvwrel

the ship might jump out of the water, and hit you on the head! :open_mouth: :unamused: H&S gone bonkers! :grimacing: :grimacing:

Yeah ok a hard hat isn’t going to stop a 20 foot container flattening yer head but it’ll prevent any debris that might fall off smashing a hole in your bonce.

That must have woke the forklift driver up when that hit the ground, over here you wouldn’t be allowed to walk in the working area of the dock would you.

I agree that in many cases Health and Safety does go over the top, probably down to those dreaming up more and more rules for jobs they don’t understand, couldn’t do themselves and they don’t discuss things with those who do know what they’re on about before implementing more restrictions. To be fair, this day & age they’re probably trying to save their own jobs.

We all disagreed when we were forced to wear Hi-Viz & Hard hats and safery glasses but it’s second nature to us now & we put them on when we leave the cab without thinking about it.

Like an idiot I walked backwards off the top step of my R cab Scania cab one morning after reaching in for a pen. Had I not had the hard hat on, after landing on my elbows (which bloody well hurt) my control box would have hit the ground next & could have caused me serious problems. I’m amazed the hard hat didn’t fall off as I was airbourne but so pleased it didn’t.

The way I see it is, if wearing PPE helps more workers go home safely after work then I’m all for it.

BB

ricardo62:

If you look at the front right wheel - it’s lifted a bit. If he lowered the box to quickly with the one end stuck in the floor it would have tipped the stacker over more…

Quinny:

shytalk:
Rite…i dont think a hard hat is going to save your life if a container drops on your head.H&S gone mad as ever…makes me laugh when you see the gaffers walking round an opencast or quarry 3 miles accross wots going to drop on your head ? bird [zb] ?

Or a certain builders merchant that insists on you wearing a hard hat when 12 foot up in the air, on a top seat crane, yet let’s customers walk around the yard, and sometimes by your crane when you swinging a 1 tonne pack around, with impunity.

Ken.

TP. .?

shytalk:

HS regulations are the biggest ■■■■■■■■ in the UK. The standards probably been set up by useless blokes who never ever made any work but playing on their bloody laptop. I’m always laughing when a worker digs a hole and wears hard hat… :smiley:

i was once told by a person who work’s on the dock, told me this once.

“the only reason we want people to wear hard hat’s on container dock’s is so when a 20ton container hit you on the head, we know where to start to scrape you up…” :open_mouth:

so why is there no consistency with the procedures but they all insist you wear hard hats? in grangemouth you must leave the truck and stand in a designated area near the front corner of the truck while they drop a box on but when you are dropping an empty off you dont get out of the cab where they are operating. in teesport you sit in the cab while they put a loaded box on

magners/tennants in glasgow. must wear a hard hat even though all you do is open the curtains and keep out of the way

chep. must wear a bump cap or hard hat even though you open the curtains and stand back

scanny77:
so why is there no consistency with the procedures but they all insist you wear hard hats? in grangemouth you must leave the truck and stand in a designated area near the front corner of the truck while they drop a box on but when you are dropping an empty off you dont get out of the cab where they are operating. in teesport you sit in the cab while they put a loaded box on

magners/tennants in glasgow. must wear a hard hat even though all you do is open the curtains and keep out of the way

chep. must wear a bump cap or hard hat even though you open the curtains and stand back

There’s no consistency because each company/docks interprets legislation differently.
Health and safety crap is as a result of the claim/blame culture we live in. We can spout as much as we like about how stupid things are but these stupid rules are because it’s some dope has made a claim against a dock company because no one told him not to put his hand between the trailer and the container being lowered onto his trailer. He didn’t know that his hand would be crushed because he’s not responsible for his own actions.

What about the new helmets with visors attached so the curtain buckles don’t hit you in the face while your tipping FFS.
Still it keeps some clown in a job dreaming this ballox up :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: