Hard Finding Work

Hi Everyone,
like so many newly qualified drivers, I’ve found it very difficult finding a driving job. I passed my ‘C/E’ last year (March 2009).I registered with all the agencies in my area and have had nothing to date.I did manage to get some driving in with a local company last year but they lost a big contract, and their full time drivers were put on to general haulage, which left nothing for the likes of myself. I’ve e mailed and written to lots of companies.I even offered to work for free on my days off from my current job. I’m single, and live alone, so would be able to work any shift. I didn’t think it would be easy getting a job, but I also didn’t think it would be this hard.I live in the North East area (Stockton on Tees). Any advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation will be greatly appreciated.
Well done to anyone who has recently passed, and good luck to anyone who is due to take the test/training.

Regards

Signaller

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Signaller :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

A read of THIS POST maybe useful when looking for work as a newbie.

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

Hi Rog,
thanks for replying.An interesting post.I’m in a full time job right now, but wanted something different, thats why I decided to have a go at obtaining my LGV Entitlement.As I said, I did manage to get some driving with a local firm on my days off but there is nothing they can offer me right now. I’m waiting to hear from a couple of firms at the moment. I’ll post again as soon as I hear anything.

Regards

Signaller

Got a Nobby Ds up your way? I know that’s my answer to everything!

garnerlives:

I recon your on a bonus from the HR dept

Data Academy:

garnerlives:

If only! Though I am sending someone to you to do his adr in may :wink:

garnerlives:

Data Academy:

garnerlives:

GOOD MAN we must ave dun sumat rite then :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Data Academy:

garnerlives:

Data Academy:

garnerlives:

GOOD MAN we must ave dun sumat rite then :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

pm on its way

Hi Everyone,
sat at home the other day and got a call from a company I’d done some casual driving for. I hadn’t driven since September 09. Anyway I was offered two nights work dropping loaded trailers at Knottingley and St Neots. Did them both with no problems. There may be a full time job coming up, as they have just got two new contracts. All valuable experience. Will keep you posted.

Signaller

Signaller:
Hi Everyone,
sat at home the other day and got a call from a company I’d done some casual driving for. I hadn’t driven since September 09. Anyway I was offered two nights work dropping loaded trailers at Knottingley and St Neots. Did them both with no problems. There may be a full time job coming up, as they have just got two new contracts. All valuable experience. Will keep you posted.

Signaller

Good for you pal. :wink:

Thank you for your comment. I was starting to think I wouldn’t get any work. I’ve lost count of the number of letters etc; I’ve sent to other companies, but I kept at it. It just goes to show that if we keep at it, something will come up. It did for me. Good luck to anyone in a similar situation.

Regards
Signaller

Hi Signaller - How comes you have had no work from the agencies? Have you asked them why as they usually give you some option even if its only van work to start with?

Hi m4rky,
the only answer I’ve had to date from the agencies is that I don’t have the necessary experience and that there are quite a lot of drivers out of work who are getting the work that does come up. I have a full time job but I wanted something different, which is why I decided to try and obtaing LGV entitlement.
Hopefully something will come along soon. I’ll keep sending letters etc;

You need to get the agencies to believe that you are a good reliable worker and the only way you can do that is by example.

My advice would be to make an appointment to go and see them in person and them turn up really smart with a do anything attitude. Convince them that you are capable of learning fast and that this is the job that you really want to do. Sell your life skills as these are really required when driving a truck!

Get this right and they are bound to give you a go even if its the worst job they’ve got. Take what ever they give you and do your very best. Trust me it will get noticed as they are very much used to dealing with some really awkward people

Good luck mate :smiley:

Try Reed Boardall mate, at Boroughbridge. Only half hour from you.

They have taken on lots of newly qualified drivers.

I had same problem
recently just got a fulltime job driving refrigartion class 2 trucks for dbc foodservices, there getting new contracts, sure they have a depot up your way, google there web site and look on employment part, worked for me

Thanks for all your comments/advice. I have a couple of weeks off soon, and the company I drove for last week have offered me some work during that time. Not the full time job I was hoping for, but at least I’m getting some more experience, and getting paid for it too. There also might be a full time job with them in the near future. I’ll still continue to contact other companies.

Philmots: I was actually looking at Reed Boardalls site a few days ago, and have an application ready to send off.
Thanks again to everyone so far. Will keep you posted.

Regards
Signaller

Hi,
I must have done something right last week. Got a call this morning asking if I want a week of nights next week.Either that or they’re desperate (LOL).Just goes to show that if you persist (as I did) and do a good job, something will come up.Might be a full time job coming out of it. Good luck to anyone looking.

Well done mate thats great news - Good luck with it and make sure you ask if your unsure of something :smiley:

Thanks again for your comments.It’s good to know that people out there are backing us newbies. My only real concern is reversing.I nearlly always have to take a shunt or two, but I suppose it’s better to get it in eventually than without incident.I’ll never be afraid to ask for help, and it’s good to know I can always come back here for advice/help if I need it.Thanks again.

Regards

Signaller