Hangin up the keys

:smiley: Hi all.

The day of reckoning is nearly here, As of Friday I will be coming of the road for the first time in 14 Years.
As many of you lads and lasses would know I.ve been searching in that time for the dream job, You know the one that provides you with a great income and homelife But to no avail.
I’m going over to the dark side to be a yard shunter which is very close to home and great working hours, and the pay is significantly better that what I’m earning now as a class 1 driver, Which I feel is wrong.
I am currently working through agencyy for a large national haulier who incidently offered me a fulltime post. But I refuse to drive a 44ton truck for 8.50 per hour. I know some of you will think that’s a good wage but I’m a very experienced proffesional driver that wage to me and to anyone who takes it is insulting.

Has anyone made to transition on here from coming of the road, And have you found it easy?. I say this because allthough its a truck drivers prerogative to moan I do love being on the road and driving trucks. However I won’t miss the endless miserable ■■■■■■■ that I seem to endure more often. And the endless road works and average speed cameras, oh and the nutter that you encounter at the rdc from time to time.

Well that’s me signing of for now I hope all of you folks keep it safe and continue doing a great job

my short career driving (3 years, 17 trips total in class 1 :laughing: :laughing:) ended last week.

In the end i was driving a van for more than class one and i just wasn’t enjoying it whatsoever despite the company being tip top, can’t praise them enough.

I’ve started in a factory and the money,benefits,pension, proper overtime/shift allowance and career progression made it stupid to carry on driving. last week i worked 29 hours tuesday to thursday 2pm-10pm and friday 11am-4pm for £366, i have no complaints what so ever.

good luck with the new job. :smiley:

Yes me mate i became shunter/ yard controller and the only advice i can give is be patient with other drivers , dont become a hitler otherwise you will end up in arguments all day .Above all be friendly and helpfull.

took a shunting job over 4 years ago after driving class 1 for 22 years. Unless I have to I wont be going back on the road, I know when I start and finish, more time off and no hassle, always willing to help other drivers where I can but there are some that do have a chip on there shoulder with shunters.

Hi all.

The yard I.ll be working is relatively small compared to your average rdc, its not in my nature to be a bellend. I will do everything I can to help a fellow driver out.

The one thing that seriously appeals is the fact I will be working at least
15 hours a week less than I am at the moment. With the added bonus of time and half after 40 hours worked.

As mentioned I’ve been driving for 14 years 5 of which were European tramping which for a single man is for my money was the best experience I had. Now its the drag of general haulage day driver that has finally got the better of me.

Came off the road in Jan 2014…going back on the road in about 10 days time!

Realised that whilst i love the shorter days, the time at home, the time to spend with the kids etc…i don’t enjoy the office politics, the drop in money and the sheer boredom of actually having nothing to do after 1030 each day and having to spend the next 6.5 hrs watching the clock until home time!