Handy Book worth looking at!

Hi all, thought that this may be of interest to anyone new to driving or even not so new, i picked up a fantastic book the other day called Truckers’ Handbook (ISBN 1 84425 210 8 ) a brilliant 360 page book written by a driver, it covers:
Legal information regarding truck driving, including tachograph regulations, the working time directive ( in plain english!)
Listings of truck stops, cafes, service stations, lorry parks, filling stations and bunkers.
Truck section giving useful advice, from reversing to coupling up.

But this book is really tremendous, it shows how a tacho should be filled out, also has photos and descriptions of the different gear boxes, even the crash box, the new drivers nightmare!!!

An invaluable book for a new driver
Hope this helps
shaun

I’ve been meaning to buy that, where did you get it and how much. If you don’t mind me asking.

hi knight, i bought it at w h smiths the cover price is 14.99, but paid less as they have a 20% discount sale on, definately worth the money, should be called the truckers bible!!
shaun

Thanks I’ll have to go and have a look

The Truckers Handbook is a book I too can recommend,
It was written by my good mate Lisa Melbourne (I can never resist name dropping) who has been trucking for many years and certainly knows her stuff.
It lists all the good truckstops amongs other things. I hear that the plan is to update it every couple of years to include new roads and truckstops etc so watch out for newer editions in the future.

hi mothertrucker, could you pass on my regards to lisa for a fantastic book, two months ago i passed my class c after years of wanting to drive a lorry,( my father drove artics for 42 years) early next year i am doing my c+e, but with what lisa done has helped me more than any school could provide, real advice
thank you lisa and thank you mothertrucker for some good advice on here( yes i do read whats on here!!)
keep smiling guys, keep safe and happy trucking 2007
shaun

Thanks for that Shaun.
I have mailed Lisa and told her what you said. I am sure she will be delighted with your comments.
Glad you have passed your C+E. Many congratulations.
Well done

it is a good book. i bought it about 6 months ago

amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin … 74-0494249

from £8.81 plus £2.75 postage & packing

just ordered a copy

david

Just recived mine through the post this morning…Excellent purchase for any noob or wannabe…So many gears to choose from !!! Arghhhh :laughing:

Mothertrucker:
I hear that the plan is to update it every couple of years to include new roads and truckstops etc so watch out for newer editions in the future.

that reminds me, must get round to emailing all the things missed in the SW :wink:

Sourton, Belstone, and Merrymeet garages on the A30 are all missing :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

dvd.co.uk/product2_1844252108.asp

£9.80 with free delivery.

Ian.