Hands at 10 and 2

Sounds like a daft question but on your HGV test is it like your car test where you need your hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel and not to cross your arms when using lock etc?
I’ve seen lots of videos where people are showing reversing examples and they are crossing their arms.
It’s been 20 years plus since I did my car test and like most ppl I have surely picked up bad habits.
Just wondered if I should start to try and get out of the habit before I start my training?

Cheers all

Reversing or very slow speeds then as long as you are in control = anything goes
Driving at speed then 10 to 2 is the safest option possible but yet again as long as full control is maintained nothing should be marked down

Cookyonthemove:
Sounds like a daft question but on your HGV test is it like your car test where you need your hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel and not to cross your arms when using lock etc?
I’ve seen lots of videos where people are showing reversing examples and they are crossing their arms.
It’s been 20 years plus since I did my car test and like most ppl I have surely picked up bad habits.
Just wondered if I should start to try and get out of the habit before I start my training?

Cheers all

I usually drive my car with hands at 10 and 2 but what I found in the MAN that I drove in my course last week was that the steering wheel was so much larger than I was used to, I was struggling with controlling the steering wheel. I got used to it, but as long as you are in control you should be fine.

Another thing I found that helped me before starting my training was to get rid of the rear view mirror and use the 2 wing mirrors only (thanks to the tips on this forum for that one).

Two hands on the wheel. To keep control I would feed it. You don’t want to draw attention to it as an examiner could get tick happy over it. You don’t want to fail on that. Just play the game.

I’m always one o ■■■■ :grimacing:

Don’t let it slide through your hands when straightening up! TURN it back to center.