Handing keys in article

Over here I have seen several ways of preventing people from pulling off. In one place they made me drop the red off and they put a lock on it to stop me from putting it back on. Most places have a bar which locks against the trailer bumper when the leveller is on the trailer. That works, too.

delboytwo:
Are you all saying that H&S is a bad thing, or is it that you don’t like sitting in the so called canteen using the so called loo.

I have being to a few RDC’s and have given my keys in without any problems you must remember there protecting there staff from you the driver cos as we all know we do make mistakes.

It is there responsibility to keep all the staff and visitors safe in the work place, and by giving your keys in to the RDC’S while you been unloaded to protect there workforce is in fact there human right to feel safe at work.

look at it this way you the worker at the RDC and you have to unload trucks day in day out, one day you are unloading a truck and in the back at the time and the driver is not paying attention and there pull away from the bay, who’s fault is it the driver for not handing the keys in, the company for not having a safe operating systems in place.

Or the could it even be the company not protecting the human rights of its workforce or the visiting drivers from possible accidents at work, buy not implementing good health and safety practices.

You as a driver as a duty of care to the worker in the delivery place in making sure that you try to make it safe for them to work safely, and if that means handing you keys in then you can feel safe in the fact that you have done your part.

I agree with your sentiments about making a place safe to work in, but as has been proved this isn’t a fail safe system as there is still a human element involved. That is keys can still be handed back whilst a dock leveler is on the truck therefore people can still be in the truck.
To do it properly you need to make sure that no truck can move whilst the dock leveler is on the truck and to avoid fall from the bay whilst the bay door is open. This system has been thought out as the cheapest easiest system to satify the insurance company as they can try and sue the haulage company if the truck is moved.

And sadly to much Health and Safety boils down to shifting blame and not really the safety of the workforce and is implimented by people who don’t really understand the problem.

The simplest method of preventing a driver from driving off a bay is a large heavy concrete block with a stop sign on the top

H&S per se is not a bad thing, but the stupid people who initiate it can only see one side of the painting. For instance the need to wear a hard hat on site may be wise while operating a crane but to ban someone off a site because it is the wrong colour or because you are not wearing it in the office whilst talking to an equally stupid person who has on a pair of Hush Puppies and a beige cardigan with leather elbow patches.

H&S officials who are over zealous with company rules but fail to provide the most basic of facilities to a visiting driver, a clean toilet, but before you say “the drivers are their own worst enemy” quite possibly they are, but in an Apartheid society where the truck driver has one unclean shared toilet which doubles as a storage room, against a factory toilet where drivers are banned but they have a team of cleaners mopping up after their own workers.

H&S starts at the bottom and we are all responsible for each other, yet try to explain to a forklift driver that he has just bent the trailer by rushing around, you will be more likely be labelled a troublemaker. Safety Spectacles, Long sleeve Shirts and Safety Boots are common sense in a dangerous, dusty or slippery environment, but hardly any use in an air conditioned office behind a manned access barrier

iceland warrington,you now hand in yr keys,give em yr mobile no,and go and sit in canteen,not as pleasant as lollin in the cab,but not as bad as sainsburys!they bell you when yr tipped.apparently johnny foreigner handed in his keys,half tipped looked at lh green light,as opposed to the actual red light on rh for his bay,popped the spare keys in,and off he went :imp: so,it does happen,and i for one wouldnt want to be on the dock leveller,with a ton of tinned food n forlkift when some numpty decides its time to go!so,unless they put a manual restraint on the bay to stop trailers being taken off(can u see them paying out,when we can be ushered out for free)?i can see being asked to vacate the cab being the norm :frowning:

also consider that H&S officialls need to to justify their position every now and then to make it look like theyre doing something, so they might as well come up with something else to make the yard safer at the expense of truck drivers

Why not then, where space allows just drop the trailer altogether and park up in a corner out of the way of through traffic? Give mobile number which every driver has in this technological age and ring when tipped. To office and collect notes and then pick trailer back up - or is that too easy?