Handing in your Keys at RDC's

But I can recall many times when I have been instructed to pull off of a bay that had a red light on, that is of cousre making the fatal assumption that the lights are working in the first place!!. I have also had instances where i have been given the keys back whilst someone was still in the back,which kinds of defeats the object.

At the end of the day there is no real fool proof method (yet) so accidents will continue to happen.

smcaul:

liberace:
I’ve seen someone killed when a driver was told to pull foreward with his curtains open whilst a forklift still had his forks in a pallett in the top deck. So I’d vote yes every time.

So this would have happend regardless of him handing in his keys then as you say “he was told to pull forward”.

The driver would have had to get out of his cab to go and get the keys. Had a view out of his cab past the curtains. Life saved.

Whilst we’re on the subject, if you check that the dock leveler’s off, then it’s obvious they’re out the back and done. Doesn’t take long to do and how many actually do it?

any time i have been to an rdc, you cannot collect your paperwork til they have finished tipping so why would you pull off before collecting the pods? i never pull off on a red light and i always check the arse end of the wagon to make sure no-one is on it. with some of them, you can see if the warehouse door is closed or not. if will sit in the cab if i cant find a coffee machine and a driver to natter to. preferably with my keys and radio on

Mine’s an Iveco 75E15, the radio works as does the ciggy lighter if I need to run anything like a kettle etc, electric windows■■? ( what’s an electric window :laughing: ).

I have a spare door key and a spare set of padlock keys which I keep in the cab and use when I have to hand my keys over so no prob there.

the only places I’ve been, its keys in to transport office and then usually into a locked wall cabinet with numbered hooks relating to bays.

I take a personal stereo with me for music, and a book to keep me entertained too.

I have one of those secure bags from the driver hour guard site, so its stuff in there, locked and cable put round something permanent like the steering column, or a metal rail in the cab. Unlock it when I jump back in to get me goodies.
that way I don’t mind leaving the cab unlocked within the RDC site.

Most are CCTV covered so no real issues there for me either.

the only things I’d like to see different at sites due to times I’ve been asked to reverse up to bays on red etc is to have a doorbell button below the lights within driver reach so if its red on approach, ring the bell - you’ll either get a nod and the light rectified, or told to wait. jobs a good un and saves miscommunication between man on gate and warehouse. same for leaving. some sites I stay inside if its likely to be less than 30 minutes and watch em work. even if I’ve seen roller go down after tip, got me keys etc if the lights on red when I get to the cab I’m back to check. - not worth the risk (by the time one’s stuck one’s heed round back to see what’s open and shut, and got back in cab, it can have changed). so a doorbell with buzzer would be nice!

Its entirely a h&s issue that truck is going NOWHERE if the keys are on the dock i cant see the problem with some people not handing their keys in.

Is there something to hide in your cab ofr something?.

i bet the same people who object to handind their keys in will be the same people who object to a search at security?.

geezer466:
I was party to all discussions and involved in the final policy decision on my own site prior to the introduction of this procedure we negotiated the use of the subsidised canteen facility for visiting drivers as a consequence.

So it’s not as if they have anywhere else to go!!!

Well I can assure you that on 90% of RDC’s they dont have anywhere else to go !!!

If the site is soooo worried about H&S why do they not fit wheel locks to their loading bays.

These are electric/hydraulic arms that engage around the rear trailer wheel and lock it in position whilst on the bay.

A regular customer I go to is Johnson & Johnson in Camberly and they use this method.

The trailer cannot be moved until the warehouse staff release it

problem solved.

We can still undo the windows in the summer & in the 80’s
make a cuppa in the cold
listen to the radio /watch tv

All while it takes you 5 hours to unload 20 pallets

jammymutt:
Its entirely a h&s issue that truck is going NOWHERE if the keys are on the dock i cant see the problem with some people not handing their keys in.

I knew a mechanic who used to cut copy keys of peoples cars he worked on & would then steal them to order if he had a “customer” for that make & model.

Now imagine if somebody on a loading bay decided to adopt the same philosiphy.

There you are outside safecoburies having to take your night out in the road outside because the security refuse to let you in with the load of wine on the back.

You’ve been to this place before next thing you know 3am & some cretin/s have managed to let themselves into your cab whilst you slumber.

Is it really to do with saftey or money■■?
RDC’s in the UK could fit Bay locks to each bay if they wished…Truck backs up to the bay…door opens…and bay lock hooks the rear bumper of the trailer…then it aint going nowhere till they say so…easy!!!

Bully

north surrey haulage:

I take you too have been to a morrisons / safeway RDC :unamused: :unamused: :cry: :cry: :frowning:

With respect Dazza, I don’t think it’s a real issue… Just do as your ZB told. The lads on the loading bay don’t make the rules up, it’s normally company policy…

By the way MAN TGAs will let you wind the windows up without the keys in the ignition. I like to straighten you out when you’re wrong, hope you don’t mind?

The old key trick is a good one if you’re into deceit.

I normally do as I’m told when I’m on other peoples property… You’d make a good politician, as you seem to be able to cast doubt over any topic/decision or policy.

jammymutt:

Is there something to hide in your cab ofr something?.

i bet the same people who object to handind their keys in will be the same people who object to a search at security?.

absolutely
the inside of the cab is none of their business and they have no right to get in. its my cab and no-one gets in without my permission :imp:

geezer466:

or 6 hours to tip 6 pallets at sainsbury rdc, worcester being tipped off the side by forks :unamused:

just give them any old set off keys most off the time they arent bothered just so thats some keys are hanging on a hook for when their gaffer comes round and if i dropped my trailer and they still wanted the keys … well lets just say they wouldn get them. :laughing:

its h&s gone mad if companies dont want ya pulling off a bay then they should put there hand in there pockets and put them wheel chock things in that lock your trailer wheel in and only release ya when the light goes green.i got fed up with arguing with em so i just give em an old set of keys.alternatively just take the red line off and put a lock on it ive had that done before wincanton trafford park do it and as for saftey shoes sainsbury hoddesdon the new one you have to sit by the back of your wagon while being tipped for this you have to ware toe tectors.I DONT HAVE ANY I DRIVE A FRIDGE NOT A TIPPER, STEEL CARRIER OR ANY TRUCK WHERE YA NEED EM GIVE ME A BREAK like i say h&s gone mad.yellow vests :angry: :angry:

Carl:
alternatively just take the red line off and put a lock on it ive had that done before wincanton trafford park do it and as for saftey shoes sainsbury hoddesdon the new one you have to sit by the back of your wagon while being tipped for this you have to ware toe tectors.I DONT HAVE ANY I DRIVE A FRIDGE

some of the safeway RDCs make you lock off the redline. and BOC at barnsley make you stand at the back of the trailer (in the chiller) while they tip you................................. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. but everytime I go to BOC I take some freezer clothing I got from the freezer guys at our depot, so Im actually warmer than the guy who`s tipping me :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I love going to Sainsburys at Basingstoke… the best tip in the country. yet tonight there, I called for their H&S man!!
They have adopted the policy of other Sainsbury RDC’s and you have to back on the bay, hang your keys on a hook which is attached to a chain hanging off the bottom of the shutter. Then press a button to open the shutter.
Tonight I reached through to the chain (which is far too short on every one I have encountered) and hung my keys up. As I pulled my arm back, I caught my sleeve on a sharp piece of metal and ripped a huge hole in my shirt!!! Needless to say, I had rather a lot to say about this to their H&S man!! lol but I bet when I go back, nothing will have been done… in which case I shall refuse to hang my keys up

Tiggz rant…

Ok, when i was doing RDC work, i really didn’t care whether i could get the window open, cab locked unlocked, radio/cd player not working. If thats what the site rules were then so be it. I would imagine that this has to be part of the job to be honest. It’s just like being in an office, you have to obey rules, and these are the rules of your office. Hand ya bloody keys in and get someone to knock you up when they’ve finished.

Alternatively, some genious may decide to come up with a trailer locking system. could either be actually under the loading bay, and it locks onto the trailer, problem with this is that there are so many different trailers, not all are the same. All it could come out of the banana and lock onto your wheels. That way company are taking full responsibility and have full control. Keep ya keys cause the trailer won’t move anyway. problem solved.

Cause in the real world it isn’t going to happen, so start reading a book, or studying something to keep you occupied when your out. Do a crossword.

As I have said earlier in this thread, I do not like handing in my keys, I will do everything in my power to ensure I do not hand over the keys. As far as I am conerned then I have taken the responsbility for that vehicle for the day, By handing over the keys I am handing over the responsibility, but I have not yet found an RDC who will accept that. If I were an owner driver then they would not stand a hope in hells chance of getting my keys without signing something to say that they are insured and will pay should anything happen. Would you hand over the keys to your house to someone you didnt know■■? I dont think any of you would. This H&S issue is just ■■■■■■■■, If the RDC’s spent money on a proper system then we would not even have this thread. But as per usual they want to do everything on a shoestring. I have not yet read anything on this thread that will make me change my mind,so If you see someone arguing with the wharehouse management at an RDC then it will most likely be me.