Argos Dafs have them
cant remember about Kaxors & Scanias

hitch:
in light of the possibility of no hand brake
being applied to the Turners lorry

who has a warning in there truck
Argos Dafs have them
cant remember about Kaxors & Scanias

In about 94/95 when I had started my second career ( driving ) I went out to do some deliveries up around Doncaster in a Ford Transit Luton van, parked outside a shop in a small village and popped in to see where they wanted the goods and came out to see an old lady in front of the van desperately pushing against it to stop it from running across the road. It had moved several yards and she was losing the battle, got into it and pulled the handbrake on and thanked her profusely.

It’s funny looking back on it but it could have been bad. Forrtunately no one back at base ever got to hear about it so no egg on face or endless ■■■■ taking.

MAN’s have a siren - frightened me silly the one time i heard it. Good idea for when you are coupling up though.

tesco’s have a wee man in the dash

“Hand brqake not applied”

it repeats if you open door without handbrake

Volvos have buzzer or ding noise

Santa:
MAN’s have a siren - frightened me silly the one time i heard it. Good idea for when you are coupling up though.

when i’m coupling up my YELLOW line goes on 1st, no back pressure= handbrake not on. :open_mouth:

i think my XF has a beeping noise if you undo the door without putting handbrake on, the ignition/engine has got to be on for it to do it though.

our DAF CF’s have them, you cant not hear the warning or see the display, think it says PARK BRAKE NOT APPLIED and has a very annoying warning (purposley i imagine)

the renault premium’s we have also have a loud irritating warning visual and auidoble.

the only times i trigger it if i have just set off and my seat belt is trapped in the door. (yeah your gonna say you SHOULD put it on before you move…i do 90% of the time)

But dont think they work with the ignitions off, so if say you parked on ferry and turned off ignition i dont think you would get any warnings!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

when i’m coupling up my YELLOW line goes on 1st,

ALWAYS do that. EVERY time.

RED line OFF first - ON last. ALWAYS

I put my suzies on whichever way I am not likely to get dirty.
:blush:

I hate those handbrake off alarms things, cos they’re designed all wrong.

If the alarm went off when the handbrake was left off and there is a device that can tell if your weight is being taken off the seat then fair enough. There must be onbe, because they can do it with seat belt reminders.
Sometimes when I reverse, and getting close to the bay or even hitching up, I might go back with the door open, carefully of course. So handbrake off / door open alarm is not the best way of doing it, pretty poor actually IMHO.
Anyway, I have a bit of an obsession with checking the handbrake is on several times, even after I shut the door I go back to check again. :grimacing:

I parked up (or more abandoned) the lorry this morning in the yard in order to nip into the office and get some paperwork. I was wondering why it was that I had an alarm going off in my cab when I opened the door with the engine and lights off. It was the same alarm that lets you know that your headlights are on. I put it down to Iveco electrics and ignored it.

When I got back in and prepared to leave, I went to release the handbrake. I couln’t find it… Oh. Hang on. It’s already released! ■■■■!

God knows how I forgot to put it on, never happened before and hopefully won’t again. Fortunately the ground’s completely level in our yard. It wouldn’t have looked good if my boss looked out the window and saw me running after my lorry with nobody at the helm!

Santa:

They now have a voice activated device telling you that handbrake is off.Even bleeps at you if you leave it in gear when you open the door.

kitkat:

Santa:

They now have a voice activated device telling you that handbrake is off.Even bleeps at you if you leave it in gear when you open the door.

True…

So I have been told :blush:

ivor biggin:
when i’m coupling up my YELLOW line goes on 1st, no back pressure= handbrake not on. :open_mouth:

exactly wa i do 1st !!1

I make sure the handbrake is on. If I have any doubt I get down off the catwalk and go and check again.

I had a runaway once and running in front your lorry as it gained momentum was not something I ever want to do ever again.

I had all the suzies connected and when i raised the landing gear it too off. Scared the ■■■■ outta me.

My MAN has a warning buzzer. The modern approach of using the trailer brake and this being the last thing you do is wrong as if the vehicle hand brake is not on, as you walk past the trailer brake and “hit the knob” it will take Justin Gatlin or Usain Bolt to reach the cab in time before it squishes someone or something.

For me the last thing should be the red airline because if the truck does start to move, you van whip it off while being in a relatively safe place. But a system can always fail. Check the handbrake is on, :bulb: before you leave the cab, check the handbrake is on, :bulb: and dont forget the handbrake. :bulb:

However this thread and the incident that provoked it, will probably mean the chance of an hours peaceful kip while on a ferry is at an end. :frowning:

Breaker One-Nine:
I make sure the handbrake is on. If I have any doubt I get down off the catwalk and go and check again.

I had a runaway once and running in front your lorry as it gained momentum was not something I ever want to do ever again.

I had all the suzies connected and when i raised the landing gear it too off. Scared the [zb] outta me.

wouldn’t it have stopped if you pulled the red line off :question: easier to jump on the catwalk than climb in the door :question:

ivor biggin:

Santa:

Until you do it with a volvo which gives no back pressure when the handbrake is on or off.

Back on topic. Yes cabs have a warning buzzer.