Hand sanitizer

Hi can someone throw some light on this took a load of hand sanitizer from Liverpool to Leeds is it classed as adr full load small bottles in boxes thanks all.

stevie666:
Hi can someone throw some light on this took a load of hand sanitizer from Liverpool to Leeds is it classed as adr full load small bottles in boxes thanks all.

Hand sanitiser with high alcohol content?
Not enough info to give a correct answer, but if in small enough, retail size bottles, then probably OK, under the limited quantities rules.

What paperwork were you, the driver, given? Any hazardous, or ADR, or whatever paperwork?

For a definitive answer it is necessary to know Exactly what was being moved.

Nothing on the paperwork just had highly flammable on the boxes as said was in small 330ml bottles packed in boxes just wanted to know if there’s a next time but will be taking it up with boss man thankyou for your reply.

Most likely UN1987 or UN1170, which can be safely transported as Limited Quantities, meaning the full ADR rules don’t apply

(1L for UN1987; UN1170 is 1L or 5L depending on it’s Packing Group which depends on which of the two variants of this UN number it is).

However, your employer should have made sure you at least had a basic Hazardous Goods Awareness course and a 2 litre dry powder FE in your cab before they got you to move this stuff, same goes for moving Excepted Quantities and the so-called Small Load Exemptions (threshold levels of the Transport Categories).

It’s worth telling your gaffer that he ought to make friends with a DGSA, who would most likely have given him this advice for free, and arranged the required awareness course for the drivers (not FOC) and that if your company is caught moving DGs without the proper procedures and training in place, the TC will be calling him, and/or the company’s nominated TM if that is not him, in for a chat without tea and biscuits! Improper movements of DGs is one of the TC’s Seven Deadly Sins.

Jumping on the back of this one as it touches on LQ’s and a product we also carry.

Supermarket deliveries, we have taken 2 or 3 full pallets of retail sized hand sanitizer into stores on the same trailer before and now we are getting towards winter again I had 4 full pallets of de-icer aerosols and a couple of antifreeze concentrate on for 1 store last night. How do we stand for that? do we have to carry a fire extinguisher and have basic training or is 4 pallets a small enough quantity to avoid LQ rules altogether?

Yes. Awareness training (which needs to be recorded), 2kg FE, and ensure goods are properly stowed.

If your vehicle exceeds 12T GVW, and you have more than 8T of LQ goods on board (note weight, not numbers of pallets) then you also need to display the LQ placard at the front and rear of the vehicle. Smaller vehicle or less than 8 T and no placard necessary

LQ.jpg

Fuzrat:
Supermarket deliveries, we have taken 2 or 3 full pallets of retail sized hand sanitizer into stores on the same trailer before and now we are getting towards winter again I had 4 full pallets of de-icer aerosols and a couple of antifreeze concentrate on for 1 store last night. How do we stand for that? do we have to carry a fire extinguisher and have basic training or is 4 pallets a small enough quantity to avoid LQ rules altogether?

Likewise when we carry similar items into stores for a certain orange DIY company no placards or ADR are needed, but if we happen to have to take said trailer load to the docks to ship it to Ireland etc we’re given 4x sticker sets to stick on it when we get to the docks and drop the trailer off, (yes, I know that it’s different regs for IMDG). But it’s strange that we’re told that we don’t need the stickers to take it to the docks

peirre:

Fuzrat:

Likewise when we carry similar items into stores for a certain orange DIY company no placards or ADR are needed, but if we happen to have to take said trailer load to the docks to ship it to Ireland etc we’re given 4x sticker sets to stick on it when we get to the docks and drop the trailer off, (yes, I know that it’s different regs for IMDG). But it’s strange that we’re told that we don’t need the stickers to take it to the docks

You don’t need the stickers on to take it to the docks. Once it’s on the docks, you do.
On the road, you’re under ADR Regs. Once through the dock gate, you’re under IMDG Regs.
You can put the stickers on for the road journey. But like the ADR Orange plate, they are "“Pull Me” invitations to the DVLA, so most people don’t.

Aha, Thanks Zac. That seems to answer my question. There’s no way we will ever have 8 ton of LQ’s on a trailer at one time at my place. The other night was an exceptional quantity for one of our huge stores, thats why I noticed it. Usually more a pallet or 2 so 2 ton max.

Other thing that got me wondering, How do we stand with mixing household products? Quite often there will be a pallet of bleach right next to a pallet of limescale remover type acid stuff, if those 2 manage to get damaged and mix there’s one hell of a chlorine gas cloud :open_mouth:

Can you tell its a boredom Sunday morning while I wait for the shops to open :laughing: :laughing:

Zac_A:
Yes. Awareness training (which needs to be recorded), 2kg FE, and ensure goods are properly stowed.

If your vehicle exceeds 12T GVW, and you have more than 8T of LQ goods on board (note weight, not numbers of pallets) then you also need to display the LQ placard at the front and rear of the vehicle. Smaller vehicle or less than 8 T and no placard necessary

When I did collections for Tesco to Procter and Gamble we was required to stick those stickers on the trailer (It was mainly a trailer full of hand sanitizer or washing up liquid, detergent etc.)
I was not ADR trained though, Not sure if that is required and never asked to be honest.

Fuzrat:
Other thing that got me wondering, How do we stand with mixing household products? Quite often there will be a pallet of bleach right next to a pallet of limescale remover type acid stuff, if those 2 manage to get damaged and mix there’s one hell of a chlorine gas cloud :open_mouth:

Can you tell its a boredom Sunday morning while I wait for the shops to open :laughing: :laughing:

You’re right! That could be very nasty if the two mixed. Really ought to be segregated, 800mm is the minimum standard - conveniently, the width of a europallet,

adam277:
[

When I did collections for Tesco to Procter and Gamble we was required to stick those stickers on the trailer (It was mainly a trailer full of hand sanitizer or washing up liquid, detergent etc.)
I was not ADR trained though, Not sure if that is required and never asked to be honest.

It was/is the company’s responsibility to make sure you received training. As a driver there is a reasonable limit to knowing what you should know, and at that point it’s on the Operators toes.

Too many hauliers are totally ignorant of the rules regarding DG’s, :unamused: which is stupidly negligent because improper movements of DG’s is one of the TC’s Seven Deadly Sins and generally guarantees a PI with all the inconvenience and expense that goes with that :open_mouth:

Zac_A:

Fuzrat:

You’re right! That could be very nasty if the two mixed. Really ought to be segregated, 800mm is the minimum standard - conveniently, the width of a europallet,

Back when i was doing adr stuff delivering to collages and hospitals amongst various other dodgy looking places. Lots of times i would have a palet with organic peroxide and flamable liquides on or acetone more often than not stacked ontop of one another. Was always told that they were in un boxes so they were classed as seperated and we wernt allowed to split the pallets down as they were weighed. Even once i got my adr qualification and was told that some of this stuff had to be at least a meter apart i was told that it wasnt our problem as the palets were signed off by the supplier.

the other one that used to get me was picking up the empty ethanol drums they had been washed out and properly classed as empty but they never had lids on and by the end of the day the back of the vehicle used to stink to high heaven

…I suppose if you broke open every small bottle of the stuff, you’d might be able to muster enough to drown in… That’s a hazard that some jobsworths - simply cannot countenence. :stuck_out_tongue:

There should be a category for ADR labelling:

“UN 9999” - NOT Idiot Proof.