Halfords fridge help. .. its dead jim!

Working in the yard Saturday and helped one of our older gents switch wagons , long story short as the cab hes switching too has a built in one he gave me his (awesome, sunday and monday night where great) plugged her back in this morning 12v plug into hella? Socket adaptor and got a brief whir from the fan then nothing. The socket still works and the plyg seems fine as the led indicator still lights up but nothing from the fridge. Any ideas folks? Is it a reasonable repair or utterly gone? hopefully ill bump into him this week just in case its still under warranty

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk

Can’t help much other than saying a mate of mine has a Halfords fridge which died after a few weeks, as did the replacement. :neutral_face:

A.

Check you actually have power down the lead to the fridge before condemning it, could well be a broken wire under the insulation.

You sure you used the 12V socket and not the 24V one and fried it?

Yes, those good old compass point prodders with an inbuilt light are worth their weight in gold for tracing a break in connection, if you’re like me you end up stabbing yourself more times than you put it through the insulation but such is life :unamused:

Took me till the third to get mine working. First 2 died within hours.
Cant fault Halfords as just replaced with out even a receipt. The first one was brought in sussex and replaced in newmarket so they must be used to them blowing up. Current one has lasted over 2 years!

wheelnutt:
You sure you used the 12V socket and not the 24V one and fried it?

I used the 24v socket with an adaptor out of maplins, pretty sure the gent before me had the same setup. If its a fault in the cable and ideas where I buy one of the compass point checker things

Not trying to be Captain Obvious but did you test it outside or in a cold cab that hadn’t warmed up/with doors open? Its fridge temperature outdoors at the moment so I’m just wondering if it turned itself off because it had got cold enough that it was at its set temperature.

Hmm, first thing this morning cab was a bit chilly, certainly not now tho and just plugged it in with no response, tried both the 24 and 12 sockets with no difference. Thinking I may have needed an adaptor that also dropped the voltage. Surprised no ones took one apart before.

Check the obvious inline fuse in the plug first. Somewhere it will tell you if it’s a 12 / 24 V set up.
My normal 12v cool box packed up and it was a win in the lid, a quick repair and a new plug and we’re off. Also I’ve said before check the fans and drop a bit of grease on the spindles.

[quote= tried both the 24 and 12 sockets with no difference. Thinking I may have needed an adaptor that also dropped the voltage.

thinking if you didnt have a voltage reducer from 24 to 12,then youve fried it and its goodlight and thanks for the coolbox.

Have you tried it in another unit? Just a thought as I know sockets can play up not what your plugging into it.
Or am I talking rubbish lol

AndrewG:
Check you actually have power down the lead to the fridge before condemning it, could well be a broken wire under the insulation.

Check the plug wiring as one wire could have broke from the connector. It will still light up as though all is ok but obviously not able to send power down the line.

Ill meet up with him at the enf of the week, if hes not still got receipt or anything ill take it apart at weekend. Thanks for the help all, on a related note anyone know wheres best to get a good hella socket adaptor that drops down to 12volt?

Edit, just dismantled both plugs, the hella to normal cig socket has no fuse, the normal one on the end of the fuse does and all connections are fine. Pretty sure I killed it. Doh

Stehinch:
Edit, just dismantled both plugs, the hella to normal cig socket has no fuse, the normal one on the end of the fuse does and all connections are fine. Pretty sure I killed it. Doh

As I said before, sounds to me you plugged it into a 24V socket without a dropper. You fried it.

wheelnutt:

Stehinch:

As I said before, sounds to me you plugged it into a 24V socket without a dropper. You fried it.

Yup, fingers crossed I can replace or fix. Still usefull for storage tho as keeps things a bit more organised. Hmm, xmas from bank of mum n dad maybe!!! Could do with a little help on a dropper adaptor tho. And thanks

You can get 24v to 12v converters on ebay for a tenner. Most trucks have both 24v and 12v outlets.

What truck do you drive?

Mines a daf cf 61 plate low cab. Prefer to use the hella for the fridge as the normal 12v has prat nav, phones headsets etc constantly in

Stehinch:
Mines a daf cf 61 plate low cab. Prefer to use the hella for the fridge as the normal 12v has prat nav, phones headsets etc constantly in

Switch them around, phone pratnav and headset will work just fine on 24v, it is the fridge that doesn’t like 24v