Had my first major crash today

Was heading up the A40 on the way to Birmingham. As you come out of the Monmouth tunnels there is a set of lights, at these lights you are not allowed to turn right to go over the bridge towards Chepstow, you have to continue straight ahead and go around the roundabout and come back. Anyway I was approaching the lights and there was a car in lane 1 waiting for the lights to change to green, I was also in lane 1 but about 300yds behind him, the lights then changed to green so I moved into lane 2 so I did not have to slow down and wait for him to pull off, well what did the idiot do, just as i was about to go past him he swung a sharp right and drove straight across in front of me, no indication so I didnt have much time to react, I slammed on the brakes closed my eyes all i heard was tyres skidding and then the sound of my truck hitting the peugeot 206. I really did not want to open my eyes at this point because I was expecting there to be carnage. I opened my eyes and all i could see was cds, papers, bags, golf clubs all over the road, I looked to the right to see the car missing a rear wheel and substantial side damage to my relief the 3 occupants were getting out. I was pretty angry at this point so I jumped out and asked the driver what the hell he was doing, all he kept saying was “sorry mate”. About 5 mins later a panda car turned up with 2 coppers, they strated taking details from me and the other driver, as they were doing this the rest of the cavalry turned up namely a fire engine, ambulance and paramedic car. Both us drivers got breathalised and passed, then I was told I would have to wait for traffic police to turn up so my tacho can be checked, so I had to sit around for 30mins for them to turn up. Now the driver of this car knew he should not of turned right so he was saying to the 2 coppers that came in the panda car that he was just changing lanes and not turning right, they believed his story until the traffic police turned up. One of the coppers had a word with the first 2 coppers then he went to check out the damage of both vehicles, he then came to speak to the car driver (this is the good bit) he asked the driver what happened and the driver said he changed lanes, the copper said why would you change lanes when lane 2 is only to go straight on, then the copper went on to say that from the damage it shows that he did not change lanes and that he tried to turn right, if he changed lanes the damage would be to the back of the car and not the side. The copper then went on to arrest him for driving without due care and attention and offered him a driver improvement programme :laughing:. His mate that was in the back ended up going to hospital as his injurys were pretty bad, his head was covered in blood. My truck just had a broken light and some damaged plastic which is suprising. I was a bit shook up but thought the best thing to do is get back behind the wheel so I checked with the copper if it would be ok to carry on driving with one headlight and a sidelight, he said that should be fine. Funny thing is I got to my first drop and I have to wheel cages thru a kitchen and I noticed a new sign up saying “short cuts cause accidents”, spooky or what. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

I got a few pics but they all turned out crap apart from this one. Thats my crappy axor with his car on the right hand side. I spun his car almost 360 degrees and it ended up blocking the opposite carriageway.

Twist eh? No chance of you getting any compo for whiplash etc? Just goes to show the diff in training a norm BEAT cop has to a traffic cop.

scottishcruiser:
Twist eh? No chance of you getting any compo for whiplash etc? Just goes to show the diff in training a norm BEAT cop has to a traffic cop.

The beat cops didnt really have a clue to be honest, the traffic cop knew exactly what had happened which backed up my account of what happened. He said I would of been the one getting arrested if the car driver had only been changing lanes, but the damaged showed that there was no way he was changing lanes.

glad your ok pal,the idiot is a very lucky boy and you can bet he wont do it again!!

scottishcruiser:

bubsy06:
The beat cops didnt really have a clue to be honest, the traffic cop knew exactly what had happened which backed up my account of what happened. He said I would of been the one getting arrested if the car driver had only been changing lanes, but the damaged showed that there was no way he was changing lanes.

I’m going to get blasted for this but - I think traffic cops are great !! - not met one yet who did not know their ‘stuff’.

I do have one way that you could have avoided this collision…

… get a turbo boost fitted like what ‘Knight rider’ had in ‘KITT’ … :bulb: :bulb:

Seriously - nowt else you could do in that situation

I would have done one thing differently - I would have made a loud point of asking the passengers if they were OK and then turned to the driver and said - ‘don’t care about you’ and walked off - but that’s me…

scottishcruiser:

His mate that was in the back ended up going to hospital as his injurys were pretty bad, his head was covered in blood.

No but I bet he does.

ROG:
I would have done one thing differently - I would have made a loud point of asking the passengers if they were OK and then turned to the driver and said - ‘don’t care about you’ and walked off - but that’s me…

He did keep saying sorry to me all the time and it did start annoying me, I told him that he should be saying sorry to his injured mate not me.

We all make mistakes.

It’s just an A-hole move when you try you BS your way out of it when you come to grief. Especially when your BS could cost an innocent driver his job.
Again another time when it would be handy to have a dash cam recording your trip.

They were all lucky to get out in one piece.

Secretelephant:
We all make mistakes.

It’s just an A-hole move when you try you BS your way out of it when you come to grief. Especially when your BS could cost an innocent driver his job.
Again another time when it would be handy to have a dash cam recording your trip.

They were all lucky to get out in one piece.

There was a CCTV camera looking down the road and it would of seen the whole thing but there was one problem… It wasn’t switched on :imp: The coppers were on the radio to the cctv control room and asked them to rewind the tape but the operator said that they turned the camera on after the crash so didnt have any footage recorded. What a joke.

Great. We taxpayers pay millions every year for Hi-tec things such as CCTV, control rooms, control room operators… FOr what?? To have them turned off and the control room operator eating doughnuts??

Yes but they are reducing there carbon footprint by turning off the camera, imagine the cost saving over say five years of only having the camera truned on when there is nothing to see, it must total all of about £6.50 lol !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

hey bubsy, you looked abit shaken up when i seen ya in the office, very understandable…

Lorry went in to euros earlier, think there gonna get the whole front sorted, garath will be happy with ya:)

And forget about steve earlier…

I passed you on the other side (heading home) just as you were pulling off and the coppers were sweeping the road. Had to stop at the red light. Glad no-one was seriously hurt and that you’re OK. To be honest I wasn’t even sure you had been involved since there appeared to be no damage to your truck! Those lights are pain in the proverbial - the amber is far too short for a 50 mph limit. You have to slow down a lot to be able to stop when they change to red.

gardun:
I passed you on the other side (heading home) just as you were pulling off and the coppers were sweeping the road. Had to stop at the red light. Glad no-one was seriously hurt and that you’re OK. To be honest I wasn’t even sure you had been involved since there appeared to be no damage to your truck! Those lights are pain in the proverbial - the amber is far too short for a 50 mph limit. You have to slow down a lot to be able to stop when they change to red.

Had a look of the truck with tm earlier, front grill is cracked, lower front bumper smashed in, and light smashed think there just gonna claim for the whole front :slight_smile: from a distance its not that noticeable but as you get close you see what damage was caused, i think a little bit harder and the radiator would of had some as it had pushed it towards it and was a bit dented but seemed ok. but could of been alot worse, scary how easily these things can happen :frowning:

Glad your O.K. Lot to be said for the old mirror ,signal,manouvre malarkey.

scottishcruiser:
Great. We taxpayers pay millions every year for Hi-tec things such as CCTV, control rooms, control room operators… FOr what?? To have them turned off and the control room operator eating doughnuts??

Err… after my mishap on the M6 I enquired about these cctv cameras -
They do not record unless the operator decides to do so for an incident - usually after it has happened - WHY? - because the amount of data storage required to record all the cctv footage is too much for any organisation to handle.

I’m no teccy so how much would be needed to record all the footage from all the cctv on all the roads :question:

Suely in this day/age with the amount of internet webspace, hard drives or whatever technoble stuff there is i am more than sure they could store x days worth of cctv footage, if none is required, IE:- for any crimes, crashes etc etc then delete it etc…

bubsy06:

scottishcruiser:

Even if he had been changing lanes (from a standing start) as you approached in lane 2 still tells me he’s to blame, so why would the cop say in those circumstances you would be arrested ?

ROG:

scottishcruiser:
I’m going to get blasted for this but - I think traffic cops are great !! - not met one yet who did not know their ‘stuff’.

Apart from my brother-in-law.

Anything truck related,an he calls VOSA in. And he openly admitted that to me!!!

Ken.

glad you ok. what i don’t understand why anyone would turn right from lane , he was lucky you wasn’t travelling at speed