Had my class2/CAT C assessment today

It went pretty well to be fair. Was a bit daunting at first the sheer size of it even though its only a rigid. I managed to get it out of the yard down a tight entrance without smashing the mirrors off either side of the buildings :laughing:

I did a lap of the industrial estate which involved negotiating around parked cars at the side of the road, some giving way and a couple of turn offs into different roads, only clipped the kerb once or twice, mainly because i wasnt used to the steering as obviously its not as instant/responsive as a car and also having cars coming towards me and a van that decided he wanted to drive on the centre line which was kind of him. Out on the open road I was okay but taking a left onto a dual carriageway at a roundabout i got too far over in the left lane which meant i come close again to clipping the kerb as the road veered round to the left and meant i had to occupy some of the next lane, which ideally i should have done first as by the time id realised my positioning error it was too late to push across and cars were whizzing past so i just had to wait. I managed to park it at the side of the road okay and then reverse it in to tuck it into the kerb nicely.

Main things for me (i know lorries are in a different league compared to cars but im just comparing to what im used to driving wise) -

Gearbox, was a six speed hi/lo range, very stiff compared to my car especially going into reverse

The amount of movement/bouncing around as im used to a VW GTi thats lowered and has zero body roll, I was finding that I had good positioning until I hit a dip or bad patch in the road and it knocked me out of line.

Steering, not as responsive as a car i found myself steering a little late then having to quickly correct it which meant i over compensated a couple of times.

Finally the pedals and the brakes, they were not as instant as car brakes, and i found it odd having the accelerator and brake on one side and the clutch pedal on the other side.

Got 5 days in June to book for training and test and my mod 4 of CPC in that time too.

:slight_smile:

georgy:
i found it odd having the accelerator and brake on one side and the clutch pedal on the other side.

EH â– â– ?!! all the manuals have that set up

I think he means the clutch pedel to the left of the steering column and brake and accelerator to the right

If you were to try an automatic you’d get rid of the stiff gearchange and the clutch pedal.

And then go for a newer truck to get better response from the steering and brakes.

Trucks are NOT all the same.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

OP - well done, you are off the blocks!

Agree about auto - but sounds like he has booked now. To be fair, if he’s used to a lowered Golf, probably with four disk brakes, I’d reckon that his first experience with air brakes in any truck will feel less responsive!

Best thing I ever got taught to diminish the stiff gear change was the drivers wiggle. :unamused:

Nathan 121:
Best thing I ever got taught to diminish the stiff gear change was the drivers wiggle. :unamused:

Go on you’ve got me whats the drivers wiggle?

My guess is that it’s a wiggle of the gear lever in neutral whilst the revs are dying ready to engage the next gear.

Or maybe it’s something a whole lot more interesting?

Peter Smythe:
My guess is that it’s a wiggle of the gear lever in neutral whilst the revs are dying ready to engage the next gear.

Or maybe it’s something a whole lot more interesting?

Pete I’m hoping it the later :smiley:

I had a golf mk2 gti lowered during my rigid training back in 2008. When I finished the days training, it felt great to jump in it and drive home, a right buzz.
Saying that tho, them days are long gone, I hate lowered cars and never drive fast anymore. At the age of 36 I drive like an old grandad most of the time.

jusholmes:

Nathan 121:

Go on you’ve got me whats the drivers wiggle?

Just as you offer the gear stick up for next gear wiggle slightly I got shown by a old hand and it actually felt a lot easier and smoother better with double clutch as you rev up. But still ok with the straight shift…he called it the truckers wiggle but not sure how right it is but did make a difference for me…

I meant having the plastic cowling of the steering column between my legs, so youve got the accelerator and brake on the right, pretty close together (i looked down once or twice as the brake pedal is softer than a car and thought i was on the accelerator instead) the clutch seems miles away on the other side. I know ill be able to warm to it in the test, left shoulder is sore tonight :laughing:

and as for the VW, ive killed the headgasket on it so have to drive it like a granny or it cooks itself :unamused: :laughing: