Had my Class 2 a week and now have a 4 month contract

Ok, so I’m with an agency, but…

Was out vanning on Thursday with Friday booked with another company when I got a message.
Do I want to for for an induction for Class 2 work tomorrow with a view to 4 months work if it all works out? Do I■■?

When I appeared at the depot, I’d passed less than a week before and hadn’t even got my license back through the post yet. Incidently it was there when I got home - well done DVLA - 7 days.

I made it quite clear before attending the induction that I needed a week off for my class 1 at the end of the month and plan on heading to Oz for a number of weeks before xmas - no problem the agency said. This was reiterated by the TM the next day. Happy boy. :wink:

So I turned up this morning, all trucks are two manned so you get an experienced van assistant with a new driver. I got an artic driver, so I was the assistant. We loaded up, headed off to the first drop, 1 hour wait to tip. :frowning:

Got all the drops done and I was to drive back to the depot - just over three hours - loved it, manual Scania very similar to what I learned in.

Not sure if I have another driver with me tomorrow or an assistant - apparently they all know all the stores anyway so no worries.

There may even be a chance of a perm job at the end - and they have class 1 drivers too. Either way, I’m out there gaining experience before my class 1 course and I’ve only just passed my class 2.

Stick in there folks, there is hope of getting work as a newbie.

Cheers
Gareth

gar brilliant mate, you have done really well and u got a job as well thats awesome. a bit of heads up i was reading gov website last night and came across penalty points if u get 6 points in first 2 years ur licence will gonna get revoked so be safe and do your vehicle checks properly, No rushing around etc. And Best of luck Out there bud i am really very happy for u. hope to see u some day at warrington RDC Depot :slight_smile:

Result big man!!! Keep her lit and good luck!! :smiley:

There is hope!

Well done chap! :smiley:

Well done bud, just goes to show that there ARE still companies that will give us newbies a break!

Good luck and keep us up to date

Good news mate well done, out of interest who are you working for and through which agency?

Jon

Thanks guys. :smiley:

I’ve sent you a PM Jon,

Cheers
G

So, there we go, thats me done for the week and I’m gubbed.
Over all the week went well, its hard going at times (I think I may lose some weight), long hours sometimes, but I’m an HGV driver.
I know I’m an HGV driver coz thats what I told the policeman just after I reversed into a wall on Tuesday, not a good start. To be fair the front end was still coming out of where I’d put it and the back end was two lanes and a pavement away when it hit the wall! :blush:
Trucks are quite long you know!
The rest of the week was incident free despite lots of reversing and tough to get into and out of places.

Cheers
G

well done gareth nice one mate :smiley: ,whats the name of the agency just in case i need to phone them when i get my licenses.

Cheers Craig

I’m with Driver Hire Edinburgh West - let me know if you want to register, they have a recommend a friend on the go at the minute.

Cheers
G

Well done Gar, I screwed up my Cat C on Wednesday… just bad luck on the day, shame too as I did the best reverse into the bay i’ve ever done!

Hope the new job goes well mate, all credit to you!

Cheers

Rancid

I failed my first class 2, got a temp to perm a week after I passed it, failed my first class 1, company gave me half my fees back when I passed as long as I stay a year…

It’s out there, so good luck with the search mate.

As for the wall, I took a black cab out with my swing, crap happens…

Just relax and soon enough it will be easier to park on a,bay than get an ■■■■■■ in a space at the multistorey

Have fun guys, and good skill with your next test mate :smiley:

Well done fella